Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2014, 05:40 PM   #15

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Beuller, Beuller ??

What happened to Newmar ? Can a brother get some love ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2014, 06:06 AM   #16

Hehe.. sorry.. vacation called!

Ok... loosen/remove the control board and pull it out of the way without unwiring anything. Behind there you'll find a bridge rectifier. It's square, has AC marked on 2 leads and a + - marked on the other. This creates some DC power from AC that the unit is producing for the control circuitry.

Using your volt/ohmmeter set to OHMS auto-ranging...

(1) Write down or mark where EACH of these 4 wires plugged onto the bridge rectifier!!

(2) Remove the two wires marked AC and the two marked positive (+) and negative (-) leads from the rectifier terminals.

(3) Touch either one of your meter leads to either one of the AC terminals and the other meter lead to the positive (+) terminal. Write down/record the ohms reading.

(4) Now reverse the leads using the very same two points on the rectifier. Record the ohms.

(5) Now repeat the test using the negative (-) terminal to either one of the AC terminals on the rectifier.

A good rectifier will have a higher reading in one direction. If both readings are the same on either AC terminal then the rectifier is bad/failed.

Post your results...
Old 07-13-2014, 03:35 PM   #17

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
AWESOME !!! I assume the fuse makes no difference at this point ? I'll have to pick up some 5 amp slow-blow tomorrow. Hopefully, it'll stop raining so I can get out and check this thing.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:00 PM   #18

No, you can do all the checks above without the fuse in it. You're unwiring the bridge rectifier anyhow.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:02 PM   #19

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ok, it stopped raining 10 minutes for me to check this. Meters + lead on AC(1) w/ - lead on positive term = 3.93, reversed the leads = OL. Meters + lead on AC(2) w/ - lead on negative term= 3.04, reversed the leads = OL. Is that how it's supposed to read ?

I did notice that the butt connector on one of the AC terminals was very loose, and possibly not connected. When i pulled the wire off, the connector's crimps just broke off. I did not get a chance to replace it, because it started to rain, but I didn't have any 5 amp fuses anyway. So I'll pick some up tomorrow, and replace that connector.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:23 AM   #20

Yes, that bridge rectifier is ok based upon your readings - So, fix the wire you think was off/loose/bad, new 5amp slo blow and see if that takes care of your issue.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:47 PM   #21

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Work is killing me. I just got around to fixing the wire today. Still no joy. It spins 4-5 times, then the fuse blows. What can I check next ? Could it be as simple as the control board ?

Thx !!!
Old 07-20-2014, 04:45 AM   #22

Yes it's possible a diode or other component has failed on the board itself but there are no (easy) tests.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:37 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekrsq View Post
This weekend we turned on our Onan Emerald 1 genny while boondocking. When it started, it seemed to "search" with either no load, or a light load (fans, etc) running. I got it to smooth out by adjusting the idle linkage up a little bit. It ran for about 2 hours, then shut off. It would not restart, no click, no nothing. I checked the 5a fuse on the control panel, and it was blown. I replaced it, and the genny would then crank about 3 times and blow the fuse again. It did this a few times. I've checked the wiring I can see, and everything looks ok, but obviously there is a short somewhere.

Is this indicative of a bad control panel, or should I be looking somewhere else ? Is there a way to test the control panel before I waist money on a control panel ?

Thanks
You used the word it seems to search if that means speeding up and slowing down I had one to do that and the float was sticking I just backed off the needle valve and screwed it back good as new and adjusting the linkage to make it run faster would be a big no no just a guess.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:04 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
You used the word it seems to search if that means speeding up and slowing down I had one to do that and the float was sticking I just backed off the needle valve and screwed it back good as new and adjusting the linkage to make it run faster would be a big no no just a guess.
Whaaa? Now we know why punctuation is necessary...

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:16 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timay View Post
Whaaa? Now we know why punctuation is necessary...

Tim
I never understood why people make fun of stroke victims or the mentally disable but hey.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:58 AM   #26

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Yes it's possible a diode or other component has failed on the board itself but there are no (easy) tests.
Suggestions ?? You think it's worth replacing the board to see what happens ? I just don't want to waist money replacing the board just to have it blown again if something else is wrong.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:14 AM   #27

I think we have one of these in the our storage area at work. Let me test a couple of things on it today before you order a new board.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:12 AM   #28

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-newmar View Post
i think we have one of these in the our storage area at work. Let me test a couple of things on it today before you order a new board.
thank you !!!!!

Tags
fuse, onan