Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2022, 10:46 AM   #1

Onan Emerald Plus 5000 Watt Generator

How do I remove and replace the starter solenoid and/or the starter?
RoaminRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2022, 04:31 PM   #2

Unplug all batteries and shore cord.. remove front panel on gen.. very carefully full panel out.. should be there right hand side.. 2 LG wires connected and may one small..
It can be tested in place..
Now for starter.. you are going to have small hands or many different hand tools..
It looks like can be done.. but if you need more room.. you are going to.. have to.. drop it down a few inches.. you can rent a motorcycle jack.. or use a floor jack and cribbing..
Use all safety precautions..
Use your cellphone with camera and flash and record all wires 1st..
You can use your cell phone with camera and flash and record up under inside back of gen.. and see.. the starter is only held on by 2 each 1/2 in looking bolts..
The starters are generally bullet proof..
What problems are you having ?
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 05-16-2022, 04:36 AM   #3

Thank you for the quick response.
I did some troubleshooting prior to this post. My generator was starting and running fine then one day it would not even make a sound when trying to start. I checked my house batteries and discovered they were weak so I removed and replaced the house batteries with new ones. After the installation I tried to start my generator and all I got was a clicking sound when I engaged the starter switch both the remote switch and the switch on the generator panel. I then removed the electric panel from the front of the generator to check wiring which was all good. Fuses were also checked and found to be good. Next, I checked the voltage from the outlet side of the control board to the solenoid and it showed 12.5 volts. I then jumped a wire directly from positive battery post to the coil terminal on the starter solenoid and I received the same result of the clicking sound. That leads me to believe that I have a bad starter solenoid and/or a bad starter. Any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:49 AM   #4

One other idea.. check your ground.. use jumper cable and clamp down on beefy part of gen motor.. then run other side to beefy part of frame.. then give it a try.. free and 5mins to check for good ground..
Next if not the problem..go back ove battery connections.. clean them up real good and lugs.. sometimes gen gets starting power from chassis battery.. so
I would do next.. use all safety precautions... and jump directly from car to gen selenoid.. clamp on grounds first .. then clamp pos from car to starter side of gen selenoid. See what I get.. takes 10mins and free..
Then if still not starting.. I would think about pulling starter.. many a/p stores test starter for free..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 05-17-2022, 06:00 PM   #5

You could try bypassing the solenoid by jumpering across its "hot" contacts with a screwdriver, to see if the starter spins.

If it still doesn't spin, try tapping the case of the starter with a hammer while attempting to crank the engine. Often, when a starter goes bad, it can be jarred into occasionally still working.
Old 05-30-2022, 10:48 AM   #6

Update:
After additional troubleshooting my Aux Gen start issue, I isolated the problem to the starter relay solenoid. I removed and replaced the solenoid with a new one. (Part # 307-2570). The generator started without further issues. Thank you to all for your suggestions.

Tags
generator, onan