Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2005, 08:16 AM   #1

Hello there!

We're getting a new WW TH next month, and instead of forking out the $1800 that WW wanted for a 1000W Xantex, I've been looking at the Onan Equinox, since the genset that we're gettng is an Onan 5500, I've seen some posts on it here on iRV2, but not recently. Does anyone have one of these units? Has anyone heard of it or know about it? I've got GiantRV and a local shop here working on some info, but from what I've seen of the discussions here, I really do want to get your opinions- there's certainly alot of good info to be had on iRV2!!
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2005, 08:16 AM   #2

Hello there!

We're getting a new WW TH next month, and instead of forking out the $1800 that WW wanted for a 1000W Xantex, I've been looking at the Onan Equinox, since the genset that we're gettng is an Onan 5500, I've seen some posts on it here on iRV2, but not recently. Does anyone have one of these units? Has anyone heard of it or know about it? I've got GiantRV and a local shop here working on some info, but from what I've seen of the discussions here, I really do want to get your opinions- there's certainly alot of good info to be had on iRV2!!
Old 04-14-2005, 10:22 AM   #3

I looked into this unit a while back. None of the Onan (Cummins) shops I talked to knew anything about it. They finally got me a price of about $1600 (not installed). It appears that it's intended as an OEM product only.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 02:35 PM   #4

Ken:

Thanks for the reply...I'll post what I hear from my sources. If it's an OEM deal, then I would think WW could do it since they're an ONAN OEM, huh?
Old 04-14-2005, 03:05 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
I called the Cummins dealer here in town about the Equinox today as I am going to evolve my electrical and since I am going to solar my RV. I have a 20kW gen at work and have bought a couple transfer switches from them in the past so I called them on the Equinox. They haven't called me back with the price but I am sure it is not the $100 special you can get from Cosco. I don't know if the Cosco specials have the built in battery charger and also the guages inside the RV for you to keep an eye on the batteries charge and the discharge rate during use.
When I read the Equinox's spec sheet, it is starting to sound like not all inverters are equal and in a big way too.
With that AND with my solar, i really have to decide just what my priorities and needs are. It started off with me just wanting to keeps my deep-6 batts juiced up when my RV is not in use. I'm also getting to like the idea of being able to turn on the tube for an hour or two without the gen (Onan 5500) on. But it seems you can really go big time and get real pricey real quick.
I'll holler back as I get more evolved in models and pricing.
Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 06:10 PM   #6

From what Ken was saying, the $1600 may be a little too steep for my blood (I have seen posts stating maybe around $950 + options- what unit-I don't know)), but weigh it against starting the genset to get the Coffee Pot going in the morning, or just X-10'ing it to go on @ 6am, and it looks better by the moment! And imagine all the money you'll save by NOT running the generator @ $2.65/gal (not to mention wear and tear on the unit itself-again, it's just a BIG BLACK HOLE in the middle of the desert/campground you just pour money into!).

Onan is being verwwy quiet on this one. Could be suspect in and of itself. Will keep everyone posted after a get the baseball bat out (ooohh...bad analogy for the day) and use it on my "trusted" sources...
Old 04-14-2005, 11:13 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
This unit is fairly new to the market and I would want them to fix any bugs it may have before investing in it. I have never thought buying the first of something was the best thing to do. I did have a Trace 2000 watt that I wish I could have kept from a trade in but the 2000 Heart has not been too bad. I do have to give it more air by opening a door when it is recharging the 4 6 volts that have been drained to about 60% of charge or it will cycle off on high temperature limit. Now to the generator. Don't tnink that if you don't run it a lot that you are doing it good. Just the opposite. Most generator problems are because it is not used every month for at least 2 hours under a 50% load. It is good for the motor and the generator (drives out moisture). By all means don't wake up the neighbors and use the inverter but also after every one has gotten up use the genny to recharge the batteries and whatever.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 06:13 AM   #8

Mike/Amy:

Certainly, I intend to find out what the bugs are- hence my posted subject. I wasn't a big fan of going to Onan from my Honda EV6010, but I thought since I was, using the same make of inverter might prove useful.

As far as my generator...I probably run it more than anyone else (certainly within our group) because I'm the guy with the music! And 12v just doesn't cut it...I need 120v, and about 10 amps of it! We are desert campers-we don't do well in Parks, and they don't do well with us!

I'll keep that venting issue in mind- I may add a small circ fan in the compartment to help with that! Thanks much!
Old 04-20-2005, 07:20 PM   #9

OK...an update.

Nuttin' yet...It may be lacking in susbstance, but it's an update! My WW salesguy is interested also, and since he's looked at the .pdf he's interested too- we may have an answer by this SAT morning.

RVWiz: still keeping the idea of it being a new unit in check here...there's so little to go by so far, and it's frustrating. Of course, we can always just "got for it" then have some interesting posts down the road warning everyone!

Ken: been meaning to ask you: what model was priced out @ $1600? They make 'em from a 1500w to a 3000w, and I'm sure they're not all the same price!

Sean
Old 04-20-2005, 07:47 PM   #10

I was asking about the price of the 1500 and was quoted the $1600.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:02 PM   #11

Ken:

I know you'd probably not want to say WHO, but any clues?
Old 04-21-2005, 04:14 AM   #12

I was working with Rocky Mtn Cummins in Denver and Phoenix. Can't remember which one finally called me back with the price.

They suggested going with a Xantrex unit. Xantrex makes the Freedom 458 in a 1500, 2000, and 2500 watt model. I bought a 2000 watt model on ebay and installed it in my camper. It was a lot of work to install because of the wiring required for the inverter/charger to work correctly. When I finally got it installed, the charger created a lot of electrical noise in my stereo equip. I also did not like the idea of running some of my equipment and appliances with a modified sine wave. One of my goals with getting the unit was to be able to run the MW from battery power, but in reality this is not very usefull as it kills the batteries fast, so I took the unit out and sold it on ebay for about $100 less than I paid (lost on shipping too), and stuck with what I already had (Progressive Dynamics converter with Charge Wizard and 250 watt sine wave inverter). I relocated the converter from the back of the camper to the front (next to the batteries). I was amazed at how much difference that made in charging performance. In any case, I'm happy with my setup now.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:48 PM   #13

Good info. Is 250w enough? What do you run? TV, SAT?

Everyone I've read is that you want the inverter as close as you can to the batteries- 12v has a much harder time than the 120v output of the inverter ( I know you know that- I just repeated it for those who may read this post).

I'm pretty sold on the Equinox so far- it's just getting the info for it that's causing me concern. I'll certainly post what I find, though, good or bad!!

Thanks again Ken.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:39 AM   #14

I run the SAT receiver, DVD, and laptop on the inverter. I also use it to recharge batteries in my razor, cordless drill, ipod, cell phone, etc. Occassionally my wife will bring her sewing machine. We used to have a 14" TV/VCR that ran on AC, but now we have a 15" LCD TV that runs on DC. As you can see, none of the above items are very power hungry, so 250 watts works just fine. I can't think of any other appliances I would want to run on an inverter that are not over 1000 watts like the MW or toaster. One of my goals is to maximize battery charge time, and the small inverter helps accomplish that.