Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2019, 12:09 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Onan Generator

I need any assistance anyone may have regarding an issue I am having with my Onan DKD FJ 7.5kw generator. It is the open type on a 1996 Holiday Rambler Diesel. I have replaced the circuit board and the high-temp shutoff sensor. If I disconnect the wire to the start solenoid that is connected to the negative stud the unit will start without any problem . There are three studs on the start solenoid. +, - and Aux. . If I connect that wire to the (-) it will kick out the top circuit switch on the electronic box on top of the generator when you press the start switch. It will crank and run but runs erratically with the wire plugged in. However with the wire unplugged it runs fine. With the wire plugged in or unplugged you cannot shut down the unit with the stop switch either on the box on top of generator or the remote switch on the dash. Any help appreciated. The top circuit switch does not kick out if the wire is unplugged.
mmbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2019, 01:23 PM   #2

Can you check the wire polarity?
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:23 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Checking polarity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmweb View Post
Can you check the wire polarity?
I will check the polarity when I am back at the RV. Currently not available.

It is my understanding based on reading the manual that the wire I am referring to causes the start solenoid to retract when the stop button is pressed. This shuts down the generator. It is not doing that apparently.

Thanks for your response!
Old 07-31-2019, 06:52 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Polarity

The wire has a positive polarity of 12v's. I am going to try replacing the relays. The wire is 12v's when the start button is pressed. If the stop button is pressed the volts drops to 0. It appears that some of the relays are not functioning properly so I am going to give that a try.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:45 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Relays replaced

Well the relay replacement only proved that was not the issue. I am back at the drawing board if there are any suggestions out there. I think there is something causing the wire I have indicated to not be functioning correctly because, if I understand correctly, that wire is to keep the start solenoid fully engaged and then retract once the stop switch is pressed. Once the start switch is engaged it appears the power is lost to the wire and it kicks out the circuit switch when you start the generator. Even if you reset the circuit the stop action is not occurring. ??
Old 08-01-2019, 08:31 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have you check the Gen sticky top of forum has trouble spec's and links to Gen MFG's.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:32 AM   #7

post problem gen model number and serial number on smokstak.com in the onan generator section the guys there can tell you exactly whats wrong
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan