Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2020, 07:49 AM   #1

Onan generator

I started my generator while i was plugged in shore power and the generator stopped thats when i realized i was still on shore power now it starts but shots off after 5 seconds i also have a code 32
Any help
Rv34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2020, 09:04 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
What is the Onan in? Shouldn't be a problem starting generator on shore power. Code 32 points to a low battery charge or poor connection between battery and generator. Try starting with RV motor running if in a motorhome.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:46 PM   #3

Yes it is in a 34’ sea Breeze i tried with the motor running and same thing generator stops write away was runing good before the acident with the shore power
Old 10-17-2020, 04:59 PM   #4

Try checking the oil level. Code 2 is low oil. On mine the three refers to oil m
Old 10-17-2020, 05:22 PM   #5

There was no accident with the shore power.

The ATS is designed to prevent any issues.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:26 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Not knowing the model Onan, most of the time when one starts then shuts down shortly afterward is caused by a faulty electric fuel pump. I don't it not starting has anything to do with you starting the ONAN with shore power. Although it is a good idea to disconnect, it not required. Most MH generator will default to the generator power if started while the coach is on shore power.

A few other things to check:
1. Make sure you have more than 1/4 fuel in the tank. The fuel pick up does not go all the way to the bottom.
2. When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?
3. Check the fuel pressure from the outlet side of the fuel pump.
4. Check Oil Level "this should be the first check"
5. Make sure you have no fuel lines leaking from gas tank to generator.
6. Hopefully it is not the control box.......Little costly....but they do fail.

I would put much faith in the code 32. That is a catch all if the unit does not start. Good luck.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:55 AM   #7

Ok will check this week thank you guys
Old 10-18-2020, 09:57 AM   #8

I do not know if it makes a difference but the generator was already working when my kid sa the extension cord on the pavement and decide to plug it in the wall. It took a good 15-20 seconds and the generator stopped
Old 10-19-2020, 09:43 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rv34 View Post
I do not know if it makes a difference but the generator was already working when my kid sa the extension cord on the pavement and decide to plug it in the wall. It took a good 15-20 seconds and the generator stopped
This should not have made a difference. I have a ONAN 5500 and have been plug into shore power and started my generator. I do not this on purpose, but by accident. With that said, I have never had a issue. It is my understanding the generator will always take priority over shore power. Something in the transfer box determines the load priority.

I still believe the timing is strange at best. You could have had something happen in the generator control circuit board. But, I would try all the other cheap ideas first. Nothing inside the transfer box is going to keep the generator from starting and running. I believe checking oil level, then move on to a checking fuel pump. The fuel pumps are really cheap to buy on Amazon. I carry one for a spare. I believe they cost somewhere between 18-25 dollars for a Onan 5500 model.
You could go to the files section in the forms and see if there is a troubleshooting guide for you model generator. Should also be lots of information on the internet. Good luck, let us know what you find wrong, it will help others.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:03 PM   #10

Even in a miswired situation, the generator or shore power circuit breaker would have tripped, not caused some kind of engine running issue.

You need to look into an engine problem, not an electrical problem.

Did you check the oil ?

Do you have more the 1/4 tank of gas in the RV ?

Is the RV close to level ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan