Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2021, 02:33 AM   #1

Onan generator- as if I wasn't already living in a state of confusion, now this!

Hey everybody. I stumbled across this forum and it seems that without a doubt the most knowledgeable crowd on the internet when it comes to Onan RV generators is hanging out in this sub forum. I hate to just show up asking for help but I really could use some at the moment.

I was chatting with a friend the other night talking about power backup systems, solar energy, Etc and mentioned to him about how much I'd like to have a diesel generator just in case "the stuff goes down".

Fast forward to me browsing Facebook Marketplace looking at generators. I already knew that I was in the market for an Onan generator because I knew that I had same people talking about getting diesel RV generators capable of four, five, and 6000 Watts or more. I looked around on the internet and tried to familiarize myself with what one of the diesel RV versions would look like. I was pretty confident that I knew what I was looking for.

Well, lo and behold the closest Onan generator to my location looks exactly like what I wanted. There's writing on the intake that says preheat really big wish I would assume was referencing to glow plugs and readying a diesel engine to crank.

So I show up to get the generator from this guy who seems a little bit iffy as he's out in the yard trying to chop the generator compartment floor out of an old busted-up RV. It's dark and I can tell I've got a project ahead of me so I didn't pay all that much attention and just dove in. About an hour later we got it ripped out and I threw it in the truck. He was asking $400 for it but I ended up paying him $230 considering there was no starter on it. It looked pretty well intact other than the fact that he had cut all the wires and half and broke the muffler off from what I remember.

I got home not too long ago and started trying to look around for the model number. He described it as 6500 W so I was assuming that's what I was getting.

Well, as I start looking over this generator I start to notice things like a carburetor, a pair of spark plugs, all of the things I would normally see on a gasoline engine. Then I notice that on the lower left-hand side of the front that it looks as if there used to be a model tag AKA name plate but it's gone..

It seems as if I didn't pay as much attention as I should have and now I have myself I nice gas generator instead. Well it's kind of nice I guess. Well it's okay, LOL

I'm about to go get the thing out of the truck with my forklift and bring it in the shop. I plan on dusting it off a little and taking some photos. I was hoping that maybe someone could tell me within reason, which generator that I have. If I could get my wish is granted then I'd love to be able to look at and save the same kind of name plate that would be on the front of my generator so that I can either try to find a replacement to purchase or at least just save it for reference.

There was what was the last of a 6 wire harness hanging off. Just kind of wondering where those wires all went. If someone has a diagram of where they go then that would be helpful in the long run.

I've also noticed that the choke cable seems to have broken or something. There's a piece of tie wire wrapped around the butterfly shaft on one side and another piece of it jammed behind vacuum activator.

And exact model number? Parts book? Owners manual?

It looks to me like the other 6500 watt versions that I've seen in some videos tonight.

Sorry about the novel and the new problem rolling through the front door. Thank you in advance though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211108_015356.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	348396   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211108_020037.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	334.6 KB
ID:	348397  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211108_015759.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	348398   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211108_015844.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	348399  

TeamPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2021, 03:51 AM   #2

Onan is usually pretty good about putting a Spec #/Serial # label on their chassis. My experience is, you really need to know what manuals and parts you need.

One place I found, using Emerald III as a search term is https://archive.org/details/manuals_...ort=-downloads.
There are numerous other sites that offer free downloads too, you just have to be tenacious and look.

Good luck, and this site has a wealth of users who can help you as you move forward on this project.
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 04:11 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Ux3cfFZIh74/hqdefault.jpg

6.5 Onan
Old 11-08-2021, 10:33 PM   #4

Thanks you guys.

It has the silver tag sticker on the fan cover but it has been wiped away to a point where it's not readable. I think I've pretty much got it figured out now though.

I've gotten it torn down to the base engine and Generator head only now, with all of the sheet metal set to the side. I've been cleaning the exterior so that I can get a fresh start with it, minus all of the grunge. There was about 6 million dirt dauber nests and also the prior home of a small community of mice. Now that I've gotten rid of all of that, hopefully I can get some progress made towards actually trying to test crank it.

I should be able to handle it from here. Thanks again
TeamPSI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan