Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2013, 12:04 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Onan LP generator stops running

I have Onan 6.5NHMFA26115H LP generator in my 2000 Itasca Horizon DP.

The generator will only run for seconds before shutting down. If I continue to squirt starting fluid in to the air cleaner it will continue to run.

The problem started with a LP fuel cutoff solenoid that required being hit with a screw driver to turn on. Then it would work fine until the next time.

I replaced the AFC Model 121 cutoff solenoid with a new AFC Model 121. During the replacement I damaged the output hose and small pieces of rubber entered the system.

Since then I have done the following knowing full well that some of the maintenance items have nothing to do with the problem.

Replaced the spark plugs with the same model plug gapped to 25.
Replaced the spark plug wires.
Changed the oil filter with Onan filter.
Changed the oil with Onan oil.
Changed the air filter.
Changed the fuel filter.
Blew out the LP lines.
Rebuilt the regulator with IMPCO RK-J-2 kit.
Replaced the damaged hose with a new hose.

After pulling the generator for the third time I made a 4 foot extension to the liquid LP line and test the generator while on the transmission jack. Using jumper cables for 12V.

I am getting ready to start over with the LP fuel delivery system.

Please help as I am at a loss.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2013, 03:11 AM   #2

The LP regulator could be bad.
Not likely internal on the gen with all you have done
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Check the governor to carburetor throttle rod. It can fall out of the governor control arm at the back of the engine. Unfortunately, you can't get at it without removing the generator from the RV and taking the top cover off. I've pulled my generator twice to fix this.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Actually that exact thing happened the first time I reinstalled the generator. It is fairly easy to dislodge the rod a the governor since it is only attached by a nylon nipple.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Update:
Turned out to be the regulator. Even though I blew out the LP lines and blew out the needle valve some small pieces found their way to the needle valve. I R&R the regulator and everything back to normal. Thanks for your ideas.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Glad to hear it's running again. Sometimes the simplest things cause the greatest problems.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:04 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Koehler Gen 'JUST' quit working

My Koehler diesel generator last summer was running perfect en-route to SC. We made it from IL to GA and stopped for the night. During the night I was woke up by the 'spuddering sound' of the generator. Like it was running out of fuel. That was not my problem because I had fueled up when I arrived at the TS when we arrived earlier for the night.

I have changed the oil, filter knowing that these can be the culprits with any engine problems.

My generator runs perfectly if I hold the "START" button down, but when released, IT QUITS.

I am at wits end. Please, any ideas.
OnJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:15 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
On some models of Onan a faulty oil pressure switch will cause that symptom.

Tags
generator, onan