Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2019, 04:18 PM   #1

Onan microlite 2800 worked, now turning off now that we are on the road.

It seems to start and run when I press the button under the access panel. When I release the button it turns off, as if power was disconnected. What is this a sign of. It sounds more like an issue with the switch stuck in the off position unless I'm hitting start. It starts up and runs smoothly then dies when released.

I ran it for 30 minutes no problems before our trip, now it's not working while we are on the road :(

I have a marine prime bulb and it appears and runs like it has fuel.

It seems like the the switch is then issue. Does this make sense?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2019, 04:30 PM   #2

It may be low on oil. They have low oil cut off switchs. They will run while holding the start button but stop running when you let go.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 04:33 PM   #3

I'll check the oil. I hope that's it

I also read it could be not making AC. I will check the oil, but do they eat a lot of oil. I has run for about 24 hours since the last oil change probably closer to 16 hours ( two nights of running the AC)

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160412
Old 09-30-2019, 05:17 PM   #4

Your problem has nothing to do with the road and likely not the switch. "Stops when start button is released" is a classic Onan failure. My newish (2015) Microlite 4K did this in April and needed a new circuit board. It did it again in September and needed new brushes. I'm sort of a checkbook mechanic when it comes to generators so take mine to a Cummins Onan service center 75 miles away. They are very good but not cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewfish View Post
It seems to start and run when I press the button under the access panel. When I release the button it turns off, as if power was disconnected. What is this a sign of. It sounds more like an issue with the switch stuck in the off position unless I'm hitting start. It starts up and runs smoothly then dies when released.

I ran it for 30 minutes no problems before our trip, now it's not working while we are on the road :(

I have a marine prime bulb and it appears and runs like it has fuel.

It seems like the the switch is then issue. Does this make sense?
Old 09-30-2019, 06:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Your problem has nothing to do with the road and likely not the switch. "Stops when start button is released" is a classic Onan failure. My newish (2015) Microlite 4K did this in April and needed a new circuit board. It did it again in September and needed new brushes. I'm sort of a checkbook mechanic when it comes to generators so take mine to a Cummins Onan service center 75 miles away. They are very good but not cheap
I meant the road, as in everything works at home and when you hit the road everything seems to have issues :(

Unfortunately the oil was if anything a little above the full line when the dip stick was screwed all the way in. Sounds like the circuit board. Is their a way to test it.

It was the first time plugging the RV into the generator and I mistakenly tried to start the generator while the RV was connected for the very first time and I have no idea if it had any issues during that start up. The internal breaker switch didn't change anything, so maybe it's the AC circuit board.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
It may be low on oil. They have low oil cut off switchs. They will run while holding the start button but stop running when you let go.
The oil was full
Old 09-30-2019, 07:18 PM   #7

I think this is what I need to do to replace the circuit board/switch.

https://youtu.be/d8of5s1dlEo
Old 09-30-2019, 07:34 PM   #8

FWIW..... this sounds like classic failure of the LP regulator. Do the other LP appliances work? Do they work if you turn one one and then another? Does the LP water heater work?????

It is no fuel or low pressure..... before yanking things apart....check the LP system and especially the regulator.

DAMHIK!!!
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crows View Post
FWIW..... this sounds like classic failure of the LP regulator. Do the other LP appliances work? Do they work if you turn one one and then another? Does the LP water heater work?????

It is no fuel or low pressure..... before yanking things apart....check the LP system and especially the regulator.

DAMHIK!!!
I had it out of the RV with a gas tank and battery and it worked like that before we left - when I opened it up to replace a motor mount/vibration dampener that fell out, cleaned the carb, and new air filter. It works with just the gas and a battery connected. I have no other wires connected. Just positive battery terminal and it grounds through the mounting bolts to the frame. It's a 1986 "dumb" generator.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:37 AM   #10

It's not as easy as taking off the front cover off, like in the video with that guy so I have to take off the entire shroud for the generator and then maybe I can get in there to remove the box that contains the circuit board/switch. I'm wondering if I can just somehow find the part for the model number.

Model = 2.8kv FA26100G
Serial# F990936544 = June, 1999 in MN
Old 10-01-2019, 09:34 AM   #11

Because it is an older unit, I'll bet it is the voltage dropping resister. It is a wire wound resister near the fuel pump. Cheap and easy fix. Look for a manual for the resister value.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
Because it is an older unit, I'll bet it is the voltage dropping resister. It is a wire wound resister near the fuel pump. Cheap and easy fix. Look for a manual for the resister value.

Any idea how to test that part?

2005 Fleetwood Jamboree 22B
Valent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
Is this an F series generator. I'm just wondering what kind of manual I need to search for.

Model = 2.8kv FA26100G

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2019, 10:50 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewfish View Post
Is this an F series generator. I'm just wondering what kind of manual I need to search for.

Model = 2.8kv FA26100G

Thanks!

The good news is you can probably find any manual here;
http://www.twinslan.net/~n0nas/manuals/onan/

The bad news from my experience with 90's era 4ky's (not 2.8 but close) is that you are probably not making AC (as you found out from smokstak).
In my case the rotor ended up shredding from the magnets coming off.

Good luck.

added;
Here is an excerpt from guys at flightsystems.com

CHECK IF ENGINE KEEPS RUNNING The most common complaint is that the engine starts but will not keep running when the START switch is released. This happens because the control board will not allow the engine to continue running if the generator is not producing voltage or if the oil pressure signal is not present. See CONDI-TIONS REQUIRED TO KEEP RUNNING on the Troubleshooting Chart for your model. If the engine will not keep running, do the following: ....... (see their website)
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan