Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2020, 08:59 AM   #1

Onan QD 8000 won't start after running out of fuel

Ran low on fuel on my last trip and the generator was going at the time. Thought nothing of it happened in my old coach several times. First time it's happened in my (new to me) 2011 Newmar Dutchstar.

Went to start it yesterday for the first time in about 3 weeks and wouldn't start. After a long winter of 3 months in April she fired right up no issues.

I did not know about the ability to prime it by holding the switch on STOP. Never had to do it on my previous Onan.

Anyways...when I went to start it it seems like it wanted to fire up on the first or second button push. After that..she just CRANKS, no sounds like it's trying to fire at all.

I've tried to prime it manually for a minute at a time, 3x, then try to start...nothing.

Not sure where to even begin to look as this all started from running out of fuel. Could I have fouled the glow plug from cranking it so long? Is there a spin on fuel filter like the coach that I need to fill with fuel first?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2020, 09:46 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would change the fuel filter first. You did not mention weather it is gas or diesel but that would be the first thing. I'd also try removing the fuel hose after the pump and holding it over a container while holding prime. A service manual can tell you the right flow rate, you should get one online, but a healthy squirt should be fine. There are other coincidental problems that could arise. The troubleshooting section may help. Please get back to us with the results and we can go from there.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
I would change the fuel filter first. You did not mention weather it is gas or diesel but that would be the first thing. I'd also try removing the fuel hose after the pump and holding it over a container while holding prime. A service manual can tell you the right flow rate, you should get one online, but a healthy squirt should be fine. There are other coincidental problems that could arise. The troubleshooting section may help. Please get back to us with the results and we can go from there.
QD is quiet diesel....

Just did a bit more trouble shooting. Have fuel on both sides of the filter.

Shooting some carb cleaner in the intake gets it to fire so I feel much better about that...I will track down a new FF and get that replaced, but could this just be airlocked that bad or maybe the FF is not flowing enough. But it doesn't want to fire AT ALL unless I'm spraying carb cleaner in it.
Old 05-10-2020, 02:07 PM   #4

Changed the fuel filter and gave it a try after priming it for 45 seconds, crank for 20 and then try again. I did this process 5-6 times and no firing at all.

I removed the cover and cracked all 3 of the injector lines and primed it again...it's bone dry at the rail. The primer pump is running and fuel is at the filter just not up top. What else am I missing?

Could the fuel pump have crapped out from it running out of fuel?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2F0CDC79-DD12-4802-910A-E650FBEC0545.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	284946  
Old 05-10-2020, 04:01 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Crank it with the injector lines loose until you get fuel coming out or run on carb cleaner and then tighten the lines.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 04:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Crank it with the injector lines loose until you get fuel coming out or run on carb cleaner and then tighten the lines.
How long do you think it would take to get fuel to flow to the lines? 20 seconds or 2 mins?? I've cranked it over 2-3 times at 20 seconds each and nothing. Not sure if it's that LOW pressure and that sounds normal or not??
Old 05-11-2020, 05:55 AM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Your Kubota D722 in that Generator hates to run out of fuel and can be challenging to to get the system primed again.
Prime the system 15 second on -off for 15 seconds at least 3 x.
Now Turn the A/C breaker to the off position.
Attempt to start the Generator 10 seconds of cranking with a rest period of 10 seconds-- Repeat until it attempts to Start and it Will at some point Start and run Rough until All of the Air is purged out.
Cranking it will rotate the Injection pump. I Strongly Advise against using any Flammable fluids in the System !
NHRA225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Your Kubota D722 in that Generator hates to run out of fuel and can be challenging to to get the system primed again.
Prime the system 15 second on -off for 15 seconds at least 3 x.
Now Turn the A/C breaker to the off position.
Attempt to start the Generator 10 seconds of cranking with a rest period of 10 seconds-- Repeat until it attempts to Start and it Will at some point Start and run Rough until All of the Air is purged out.
Cranking it will rotate the Injection pump. I Strongly Advise against using any Flammable fluids in the System !
Does priming it with the breaker off have any effect on it? I thought of that also.

I gave it a shot of carb cleaner - for peace of mind to hear it fire...and it did for a second so that at least made me know the it would still fire.

I'm going to try feeding it fuel from a temp. source today and see if I can't get it going that way.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:39 AM   #9

Flipping the Breaker off and starting it will have no Ill effects at all.
An alternative fuel source is a good idea-- You can see if fuel is returning or just disconnect the return line at the Genny and confirm there is in fact fuel returning while the pump is on and while your cranking the engine. Should almost fill a Coke can-12 oz in about 45 sec.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:26 AM   #10

I got it going!! What a MAJOR pain in the rear!

Figured I'd start with a fresh mind this morning after a cup of coffee.

First thing I tried...prime it with an injector line cracked....bone dry.
Then pull the hose off the filter...bone dry! It previously had fuel it it.
Then pulled the fuel line off before the pump..also bone dry. I put the line I n a clear jar and went to the fuel fill up with my air hose and a rag. Pushed fuel through the feed line by pressuring the fuel tank until there was a steady fuel stream at the genny supply line.
Hooked that back up to the pump.
Then hit the prime switch on the pump and made sure I had good flow coming out of the pump...CHECK.
Hooked it all back up and went to the top of the motor. Cracked one injector line and primed it for 1 min. Still had no fuel coming out of it though. Closed the line and tried to start..it sputtered. Primed again, then she fired!

I'm a happy man but this was WAY too difficult for something that seems could be a common occurrence. There should be a manual prime lever to fill that fuel supply line
Old 05-11-2020, 08:58 AM   #11

Great Job !
Old 05-11-2020, 09:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Great Job !
I'm still scratching my head, like did that REALLY just happen! Who's doing all of that while on the road if you run low on fuel!

I guess I'm turning off the genny now if I see my fuel light in the future. That's insane!
Old 05-12-2020, 06:55 PM   #13

I Get it !
Just watch your Fuel Level from now on ! Lol !
Old 05-12-2020, 06:59 PM   #14

Quote:
I Get it !
Just watch your Fuel Level from now on ! Lol !
For damn sure!! LOL

Tags
onan, fuel