Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2021, 01:32 PM   #1

Onan qg 5500 evap

I was just wondering if anyone has ever had the following happen to them while changing oil. I left a shop rag by the oil filter and started the engine and rag was sucked into air intake. Any kind of information on what to do?
Thanks,
stagila
stagila is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2021, 01:34 PM   #2

If you are talking about being sucked into the air filter, shouldn't be a problem.

Can't imagine it got past the air filter.

Access the air filter (like you were going to change the filter) and remove it.

Am a little surprised it did not cause the motor to quit from lack of intake air.

If it was the cooling fan that it was sucked into, yes, you will have to dig deep enough to remove it.
Old 05-14-2021, 01:55 PM   #3

yes, I believe it is the cooling fan. I there access to it from underneath?
Old 05-14-2021, 01:58 PM   #4

That is where I would start. Depending on how far into the fan/cylinder area it was sucked, may have to go to plan B.

Make sure you retrieve all of it, as blocking air flow to even a reasonably small section of cylinder can allow that cylinder area to overheat.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:18 PM   #5

what is plan B??
Old 05-14-2021, 03:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagila View Post
what is plan B??

Depends totally on where that rag went and hid. No one can tell until you locate it.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:08 PM   #7

thank you for info.
i will let you know where i found it
Old 05-14-2021, 08:50 PM   #8

if you have access to high pressure air that will be you friend.. if not then find one.. make a peace of pipe, i used aluminuim pipe about 18 in long and hammered one end closed, adapted it to air line.. then drilled 3 or 4 small holes in end and i could reach up under and blow out cylinder heads. also it put a regulator to regulate the pressure and turn fitting off. wear googles and i picked up long reach tool with 3 prongs.. a retreval tool 18 in long or long hemostates or and very long thin plyers and get each peace. and put in pale to make sure you get it all!! nest i have seen posted here that you disconnect every thing take cell picts 1st.. then drop gen out bottom if not on slide.. onto a tire and pull off all the eng covers.. good luck.. please let us know how you did.. picts if poss.. you are not the only one that has done this and it might help some one years from now..
donr103 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan