Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2020, 05:45 AM   #1

Onan QG5500 nothing but problems since new

I wanted to post here to simply let the RV world know of my experience(s) with Onan generators and Cummins / Onan service centers.

I have a Jayco Class 3 Eagle 290 that I purchased a few years ago. It had an Emerald 4000 gen set. I replaced it with a brand new Onan QG5500 generator.

I purchased the new Onan QG5500 generator 2016-01-25. I had to perform a multitude of modifications to my Jayco Class C to accept the new generator. Modified floor reinforcements, new composite flooring, new transfer switch, a new power distribution panel and new wiring between the transfer switch and distribution panel.

My decision to purchase an Onan generator was solely from Onan's claim of reliability and dependability, neither which have been my experience with this generator.

On February 2nd, 2018 this new generator failed with 210.2 total running hours. We had to terminate our trip and return home.
I brought my motor home to a Cummins Sales and Service center in Springfield, MA. The technician determined that the stator had a broken wire causing the failure. The Genset was removed from my Jayco and the new parts were ordered. A few days later I was called to bring my motor home so they could re-install the genset and test it. It was installed and appeared to be functioning normally, though the technician did make the statement that the brush block was "riding high" on the slip rings. I asked if that was an adjustment that could be made and the reply given to me was "No because this is a matter of factory assembly".

On September 1st, 2018 the generator failed with 307.4 total running hours. Only 97.2 hours of operation since the previous failure, and once again we had to terminate our trip and return home several days early.
On September 6th, 2018 brought the motor home back to Cummins Sales & Service of Springfield, MA.
This time I was told that the brush block was worn out. Really..... a brush block assembly only lasts for roughly 300 hours? I questioned the service writer and asked why the brush block is not even referred to in the required maintenance chart which goes out beyond 500 hours. No matter what I questioned I was charged for the new brush block assembly and the required labor. A few days later I received a survey regarding my experience with Onan-Cummins. Needless to say I did not leave any gleaming remarks. A few days later I received a call from someone at Cummins to discuss the matter. The conversation was mutually respectful and ultimately I was credited the cost of the repair.

On 2018-12-20 Cummins / Onan received a certified letter with my check which paid for the extended warrantee available for this generator. Under the circumstances I think you would agree that this was prudent purchase.

On April 30th, 2019 the generator failed with 314.3 total running hours. Only 6.9 hours of operation since the previous failure. Again, back to Cummins Sales & Service of Springfield. They determined that the brush block was defective, replaced it and on my way I went.

On June 20th, 2019 while on are way to northern Maine, we got as far as Portland, Maine and the generator failed with 324.8 total running hours. Only 10.5 hours since the previous failure. We had to terminate our trip simply because we didn't have a working or dependable generator. We decided to stay at Bailey's camp resort in Scarborough, Maine for the weekend and returned home Monday. On the trip home I called Cummins Sales and Service of Springfield and spoke with their service writer and explained the problem once again.

Everybody I have spoken with at Cummins / Onan tell me that the generator I bought is a very reliable and dependable unit. Based upon my experiences with this machine I can't say that reliability or dependability is anything I have experienced.
I can understand a minor singular problem but this specific machine has had a multitude of failures all which occur with less than 100 hours of operation between failures.

Now that I am trying once again to have this thing repaired by Onan but now under the extended warranty that I purchased. They (Onan) tell me that they have no record of my purchasing the extended warranty, though I do have the USPS return page with the signature of someone at Cummins signing for the mail containing my check and related documents.

So now after all this aggravation associated with this defective machine I now have an attorney involved.
Heliman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2020, 05:55 AM   #2

Sounds like you got a "lemon" , probably the machining of the location of the brush block is wrong . I have over 1000 hrs on my 5500 , the only problem I've had is fuel pump and carb needed to be cleaned (because of Ethanol fuel I'm sure)

Good luck
tiffy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:12 AM   #3

did they cash the check for the extended warranty. if not, you'll have a hard time saying you bought it.

i had excellent results from the onan service center in avondale, az for a repair under their standard warranty. they had one gentleman that was their generator expert and he know his stuff. i hope your service center has a similar expert as opposed to just putting some rookie on your job.

how about asking them to just swap it out for a new unit in exchange for dropping the lawyer? who knows, they might bite?
bigchick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:38 AM   #4

1200 mile trip,my 1st, hit a fairly good bump, loose coach electrical.will reset in approx 3 mins. check ed oil, connections, fuelalwys above 1/2 tank.batt.connections,tried with running only 1 a/c . no other elect.reset altitude to area,none,S.E. WILL RUN ALL DAY ON SMOOTH HI WYS...any suggestions on where to check.
Jax.Treeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:12 AM   #5

Onan QG5500 lemon

I certainly am not about to drive my motor home to Arizona to a Onan service center. Given the cost of fuel it would be more cost effective to just buy a new generator.

It also seems odd that Onan has discontinued this model RV generator (5.5 HGJAB 1038). Why would they discontinue a model that in their words is one of their most reliable generators.

Since I have no control over the check after they (Onan - Cummins) received it, which is evident by the signature of the person at Onan - Cummins that signed for it, I have met my half of the bargain with Onan - Cummins for the purchase of the extended warranty. If Onan - Cummins did not negotiate the check that is their problem and I have no problem, given all the documents supporting my position, letting the Connecticut Superior Court decide. The other issue is that multiple repairs were performed by a Cummins - Onan service center which did not yield in a reliable or dependable generator. I do not consider 9 to 10 hours of operation between failures as being dependable or reliable. They (Cummins - Onan) have to accept responsibility for their less than successful repairs. Successful being a generator that would run for a few thousand hours needing only its routine maintenance such oil and filters and cleaning the cylinder heads every 450 hours.

Here's something to think about and had I known this little tid-bit of information prior to buying this generator I would NEVER even have considered an Onan generator.
In the maintenance section of the owners manual it states:
"clean or replace the cylinder heads every 450 hours"
I suspect anyone having any sense of mechanical knowledge will come to the same thoughts as I did.

What do you think would happen to a car manufacturer if their engines required cleaning or replacement of the cylinder heads every 450 hours?
Poorly designed products are not typically rewarded with perpetual success.

Thank you for your input.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:51 AM   #6

you don;t have to drive to arizona. my point is that the service center had a gentleman that really know the generators. i was just wondering if your service center has a similar individual or if they were just giving the work order to the next available technician who may or may not be familiar with the generator.

i would not use certified mail (or something similar) as proof of purchase of an extended warranty. a cleared check and / or actual warranty documents would make a case. it sounds like you intended to purchase the warranty but it does not sound as if it was ever completed.

manufacturers change model numbers all the time for any number of reasons. your specific model may have been discontinued and replaced with a new model that might have a new feature or some other change. or it may simply have been discontinued outright. that's something that happens everyday in all kinds of products. my old AT&T rotary dial phone was incredibly reliable. yet you can't buy one today.

i think you have a good point in that you should not be having to have the same problem corrected repeatedly. most repair facilities warranty their repairs for a period of time. it sounds if onan is doing this as they redid a repair at no cost. but it still does not appear to be working. have you been in contact with onan corporate rather than the service center? there are also onan authorized independent generator repair facilities that you might be able to utilize. but try onan and tell them your current service center has been unable to fix the problem.

not that i expect an answer but how much is the lawyer costing? worse case, would it just be less expensive to purchase a new generator? or have them give you a new one If that is realistic? and even if they did fix it is thousands of hours of trouble free operation realistic? yes many do run that long, but others don't. will you always be looking for it to fail?
bigchick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:07 AM   #7

Onan 5500 lemon

The repairs were performed under the original 3 year warranty. The repairs that were performed allowed for a generator that ran the longest for 97 hours at which time the brush block failed. It was replaced then failed again about 9 hours later. 10 hours after that the generator failed again.
Maybe to you all these failures of a brand new generator are acceptable, it is not to me. I have other generators that I use all the time for remote work that needs to be done. None of those have ever given me any problems and they have thousands of running hours, they are also NOT Onan.

The replacement of the failed stator alone would have cost me in excess of $2000 if it was not under warranty. Given all the failures of this machine only a fool would not have purchased the extended warranty.

According to the Onan service center that I went to, "their" guy was their "go to" guy for this model.

Regarding the purchase of the extended warranty;
I did not say that the documents were sent via registered mail. They were sent via priority mail with restricted delivery requiring a signature so that a Cummins Onan person had to sign for it, which they did. At least that's what the USPS signature page shows that USPS emailed to me.

I inquired about the extended warranty from Cummins Onan, they offered it, I accepted and tendered a check along with all the documents. They (Cummins Onan) received the documents, check included and signed for them.
I have legally met my half of the contract. What Cummins Onan did with my check is their problem.

I am dealing with Cummins Onan corporate management to try and get this resolved amicably. Depending upon how they handle this will determine how I proceed.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:19 PM   #8
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliman56 View Post
I have legally met my half of the contract. What Cummins Onan did with my check is their problem.
By that note, I'm guessing we can presume that Onan never cashed the check so they declined to accept that contract, whether intentionally or unintentionally.

Ray
Old 08-21-2020, 09:39 AM   #9

Onan QG5500 update

After dealing with a multitude of Cummins / Onan Subordinates that couldn't care less about not standing behind their product I thought I would make one last attempt prior to having my lawyer file a legal action.

I was able to send an email directly to the President and COO of Cummins. I sent a very nice and detailed letter explaining everything that has transpired with the generator since it was new. I received a reply two hours later from the President & COO Tony Satterthwaite. He apologized for the difficulties that I have had with their product and directed one of his assistance to contact me to get the problems resolved.

At the direction of his assistant the Onan warranty department will now accept a replacement check for the extended warranty purchase.

I am currently in the process of scheduling with Cummins for my generator to be inspected and diagnosed by a technician as well as an Onan engineer.

I will post follow ups as this proceeds.

Tags
ems, onan, problem, problems