Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2019, 09:36 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Onan Quiet 7500 Generator Quits

A few weeks ago I posted about my onan 7500 Quiet Generator starting, running about 20 minutes then quitting. It was then hard to start like a dsl that had run out of fuel. I had already serviced the generator including new Onan fuel filter. My next thought was the fuel pump. Several members agreed and I replaced the fuel pump. No difference. I was busy traveling for work (some of us RVers still do, unfortunately) and just got back onto this issue. I had decided to replace the fuel line. While under the RV tracing down the lines I ran into something. By the way it is on my 2005 Tiffin Phaeton. It was a steel can inline fuel filter. It had undercoating on it. Installed in 2005 and hidden from plain view by a mass of zip tied wiring. I removed the filter and tilted it towards the inlet side and fuel ran out . I then tilted it toward the outlet side. Nothing. I went to my local auto parts store and obtained a matching filter. After installing it and zip tieing everything back into place I hit the primer side of the Onan Rocker Start switch for 3 minutes looking for leaks. there were none. I then started the generator. Purred like a kitten. After running a few minutes I turned on both a/c units. I left it that way for 3 hours. Morrow of the story is before you start looking at circuit boards that cost hundred of dollars, trace the fuel line to the tank. I am glad I did. $4.63 for the filter. A little of my time which seems to have little value. Time to go camping.
PHAETON119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2019, 11:41 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the tip! Reminds me of the old KISS principle (keep it simple stupid)
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:58 AM   #3

My Onan 7500 quits when I start driving

Just recently a 1999 Fleetwood American Eagle and the generator starts and runs fine when I am parked. But when I go to move the coach, the generator will shut down, and when I try to restart it, it acts like it is out of fuel, even though the fuel tank is full. After setting for a while, it will start right back up, and run for hours, until you go to move.

Any ideas?
lclwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:47 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Onan Generator

Good Morning
I am certainly not a expert on Onan Generators. I just got lucky on mine. It seems like if it was a fuel issue it would not matter if you were moving or sitting still. It is my understanding that they have a oil level sensor connected to a shut down switch to shut it down if oil level is low and it is supposed to be pretty sensitive to the full level. If the oil were a little low and you turned a corner causing the oil to slosh to one side or another it could possibly cause a shut down. Realistically it should have a delay to make up for slosh but who knows. Certainally not me. Or the sensor could be faulty although a faulty sensor should cause problems sitting or moving. What was the fault code after shut down? The manual shows where to find the codes as well as what each code means. This will tell you a lot or perhaps nothing. When mine would run out of fuel the code was (engine not running). Anyway, 1st step is to read the code. I know that this is not much help but you have to start somewhere. Good luck.
PHAETON119 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan, quiet