Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2021, 11:45 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Question Onan Quiet Diesel 7500

Hope everyone is prepping for the 4th and has a safe one , well we got stuck having to rent a cabin i could not get the generator going . So I've done a service which kit included :
-new oil / new oil filter / fuel filter / air filter all my other levels look good.

So i tried starting it and same scenario just cranked and cranked got a the light to flash ( 3X googled it and its a service code). So i started checking first at the 3 fuses behind the small panel and all were good and had power flowing through them. So i checked fuel coming into filter and there was fuel. Took a line off of the glow plugs and no fuel ever came up that far in any of the lines that comes into the glow plug. Would this indicate the pump is bad ? Any help is highly appreciated

i attached a picture with 2 wire circled , should i have power to these 2 wires or are they ground wires? Sorry if this is something i should know but this is my first time working on a generator. Thank again for all the help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1758.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	339.9 KB
ID:	334405  
RayAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2021, 05:29 AM   #2

If your generator is like mine, the blinking light will direct you to a specific code in the codes list. You said it blinked 3 times. There are 2 sets of blinks you look for. The first set of blinks then a pause then a second set of blinks. Example 3 blinks followed by 6 blinks would direct you to code 36. What was the specific set of blinks that your generator light blinked?

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:35 AM   #3

For mine, in the coach press, and hold the start/stop in stop and the fuel pump will run (will hear the clicking) without starting the generator for some seconds. The "clicking" will stop.

After changing my fuel filter, I press and hold the stop 3-4 times.

The same operation might occur at the start/stop switch on the generator, never tired it.
Mark- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcpl View Post
If your generator is like mine, the blinking light will direct you to a specific code in the codes list. You said it blinked 3 times. There are 2 sets of blinks you look for. The first set of blinks then a pause then a second set of blinks. Example 3 blinks followed by 6 blinks would direct you to code 36. What was the specific set of blinks that your generator light blinked?

Yeah it threw a code 36 - I also took the power supply from the rear of the genny. when i crank it those 2 wires have power now after i connected the power back on I'm assuming something must o reseted itself but still nothing .
Old 07-02-2021, 05:45 PM   #5

A code 36 is pretty much a worthless code to me, my hdjak threw a code 36 and after many dead ends I ended up having to replace the control board at mucho dollars! I hope you can fix yours more simply.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 06:08 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Those 2 Wire are for the Governor Controller ---Only Hot as soon as She Starts
Code 36 is a Bear to trace to a Specific Issue- I would check the Fuel Pump for Flow- Making sure it turns on while cranking to Start it.
How many hours on it ?
"Took a line off of the glow plugs and no fuel ever came up that far in any of the lines that comes into the glow plug. Would this indicate the pump is bad ? Any help is highly appreciated"-- You mean the Injector Lines ??
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 06:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Those 2 Wire are for the Governor Controller ---Only Hot as soon as She Starts
Code 36 is a Bear to trace to a Specific Issue- I would check the Fuel Pump for Flow- Making sure it turns on while cranking to Start it.
How many hours on it ?
"Took a line off of the glow plugs and no fuel ever came up that far in any of the lines that comes into the glow plug. Would this indicate the pump is bad ? Any help is highly appreciated"-- You mean the Injector Lines ??

Yes sir the injector line sorry and this was while cranking
Old 07-02-2021, 06:45 PM   #8

These onan if not baby sat seems like they grenade really fast and here i thought they were the top of the line . On my 06 Nomad Rampage Toyhauler same scenario with the generator always gave problems when heading out.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:05 PM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
Ray,
it appears your not getting Fuel to the injectors- Therefore your Controller either isn't sending B+ to turn on the Fuel pump or The Pump went South.
Disconnect the B+ wire on the Fuel Pump and apply an external 12V power source directly to the Fuel Pump-(White Wire) -See if it Runs and Pumps Fuel . The closest B+ is right at the battery power lugs on the back of the Genny- That will by-pass your Controller.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 08:04 PM   #10

OK RayAZ I've gotta ask the question; do you have more than 1/4 tank of fuel-are you sure?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 05:48 AM   #11

Sufficient fuel - most have the pickup line at about 1/4 empty

Then prime the pump by holding switch in stop position
Old 07-03-2021, 06:58 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Ray,
it appears your not getting Fuel to the injectors- Therefore your Controller either isn't sending B+ to turn on the Fuel pump or The Pump went South.
Disconnect the B+ wire on the Fuel Pump and apply an external 12V power source directly to the Fuel Pump-(White Wire) -See if it Runs and Pumps Fuel . The closest B+ is right at the battery power lugs on the back of the Genny- That will by-pass your Controller.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
OK RayAZ I've gotta ask the question; do you have more than 1/4 tank of fuel-are you sure?
Yes sir its to the top.
Old 07-05-2021, 09:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Ray,
So i disconnected the B+ from the back of the generator and i hooked up a lead wire straight to the pump with power+ ( would that be considered the injection pump ) i can hear I'm assuming another fuel pump somewhere in the bottom middle fo the generator kick on. Still nothing.....the pump does not kick on or engaging when i put direct power to those 2 connectors . Thanks again for all the help

Hope everyone had a happy 4th of july

Tags
diesel, onan, quiet