Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2022, 12:53 PM   #1

Onan quiet diesel generator won’t turn over

I’ve been having troubles with this gen for a couple years . When I go to start it clicks for several seconds with lights blinking then nothing. That was before now noting at all. The last time I started it it did the same so I started the rv engine then tried the generator and it started now I’m out in the rv boondocking and it won’t start at all no lights blinking no clicking nothing. In the past I would flip the breaker a few times and it would start.
It’s mounted up front in a 2003 Tradewinds DP.
I’m thinking it’s the breaker next to the start switch has failed.
I tested batteries and they will start my Cummings ISC NO PROBLEM
Any ideas where to start?
Thanks
rcalbuquerqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2022, 01:00 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
How strong are your house batteries? A lot of coaches start the generator from the house side. You can try holding down the battery boost switch to see if they can start from the chassis batteries.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 02:13 PM   #3

It may be the problem since I switched out the 4 6v batteries to 2 100ah lithium batteries. But still nothing with the battery boost. As I remember problem started when I switched to lithium but would still start
Old 11-28-2022, 02:23 PM   #4

If your generator starts from the house batteries, you need to switch them to the chassis batteries.

2 100 AH lithiums don't have the cranking amps for a diesel generator. 4, like you had may have done it .

Then you need a way to keep the chassis batteries charged while the generator is running. Most don't have charging systems and you probably disabled bi-directional charging with the Lithium switch.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 04:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If your generator starts from the house batteries, you need to switch them to the chassis batteries.

2 100 AH lithiums don't have the cranking amps for a diesel generator. 4, like you had may have done it .

Then you need a way to keep the chassis batteries charged while the generator is running. Most don't have charging systems and you probably disabled bi-directional charging with the Lithium switch.
You may be right…..if I add 2 more lithium batteries do you thing that would do it?
Old 11-29-2022, 06:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalbuquerqu View Post
You may be right…..if I add 2 more lithium batteries do you thing that would do it?
I can't believe your inverter has much funcuntiality with only 200 AH, when you had more then 400 AH of capacity.

I would add 2 more just for the inverter. It should help with your starting issue too.

The hype that lithium can replace twice as much lead acid is mostly just marketing.
Old 11-29-2022, 08:47 PM   #7

When I originally bought the lithium batteries 5 or 6 years ago they were quite pricey at $1000 each and have served me well. Now they can be had for as low as $325 from Walmart. I’m using SOK’s I’ll add two more when I get back from this trip. I do need to figure a way to get my generator to start just to exercise it. I found a spot with electrical hookups so I don’t need it for now but would like to run it to keep it running right.
Old 11-29-2022, 10:11 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Can't use the 'Battery Boost' switch, which will temporarily tie the chassis and house batteries together?
Old 11-30-2022, 07:20 AM   #9

No boost switch not helping that’s why I think the main circuit breaker is bad. When I flip the switch it does not make a strong click on or off just a very easy move from on to off.
And my batteries used to start the generator and if not it would start with the boost.also in the past if all failed I would check the circuit breaker and it had tripped… I woul flip it and then the generator would start.
Old 11-30-2022, 12:41 PM   #10

To reset the board, disconnect the battery cables from the back of the gen for 20 minutes. Shutting the gen down under a load , as in ACs on ,will scramble the board and display what you are experiencing.
Old 12-29-2022, 02:12 PM   #11

Still no start

So I disconnected the cables from the back of the gen.
Also installed 2 new batteries that start the DP motor.
I used jumper cables to connect coach batteries with motor batteries.
Pushed gen start button …. Glow plugs light flash on starter button for 10 seconds or so then tries to start but starter does not turn over then all goes dead and starter’s button goes dead.
Could the starter be bad?
Old 12-29-2022, 03:08 PM   #12

Have you tried to turn the engine by hand yet.

If not easy, remove starter and try turning engine with screwdriver against flywheel teeth.

Here's another test, with volt meter across battery terminals, try to start. If voltage drops to 10 volts, something seized.

Sent from my SM-A025V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 12-29-2022, 03:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalbuquerqu View Post
So I disconnected the cables from the back of the gen.
Also installed 2 new batteries that start the DP motor.
I used jumper cables to connect coach batteries with motor batteries.
Pushed gen start button …. Glow plugs light flash on starter button for 10 seconds or so then tries to start but starter does not turn over then all goes dead and starter’s button goes dead.
Could the starter be bad?
Absolutely the starter could be bad. Or just the solenoid. Did you pull any codes off the generator. Google on how too read the codes. Pretty simple. Also the wires going into the gen set in the front upper rt corner can be a problem at the plug, and inside going to the board. You should put a volt meter on the starter solenoid, small terminal, and have someone try and crank it. No voltage eliminates the starter being a problem.
Old 12-29-2022, 06:16 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Maybe bad connections at the starter?

Tags
diesel, generator, onan, quiet