Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #1

Onan temp sensor removal

You guys that have removed the corroded temp sensor from the Kabota engine, can you tell me how you got the stuck center section out after removing the threaded part?
We are currently in Canada and would love to have a gen that works.

Dave
DAJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJO View Post
You guys that have removed the corroded temp sensor from the Kabota engine, can you tell me how you got the stuck center section out after removing the threaded part?
We are currently in Canada and would love to have a gen that works.

Dave
No experience here, although I have a Kubota engine that is used in gennys in my small tractor. Are you saying when you remove the corroded sensor, that part of it remains in the block? Do you know if that 'center section' is threaded also? If so, any 'easy out' of the appropreate size should take it out. If it isn't threaded, I would think it would still work if you could get a good bite on it to just pull it out. Hopefully someone will be along soon with actual experience.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #3

Thanks for trying to answer. All the people that have had this problem can't find time to answer. The center of the sensor is pressed in. Impossible to get to with gen not on slide.

Dave
Old 08-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like generator removal, not fun. I had to pull my gas genny last year.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #5

Check over on Class A in the RV.Net board. Scott (handle is Fireup or Fire-up). He removed a corroded temp sensor on a QD7500. Posted good pictures of the process. Might pick up some ideas from his thread.

We had quite a bit of work done on our QD8000 recently. Added a new Temp Sensor, but then also added a A/B switched in second Temp Sensor clamped to the hot water end of the manifold. This way if the stock one goes out, I have a chance to keep running the unit under temporary B Temp Sensor. (Yes, possible risk, but I've had two stock Temp Sensor's go out in two years. Last time was in Bishop at 110 outside. I knew the coolant was good, and the oil was fresh - just another faulty Temp Sensor. So I went with the A/B option, to allow emergency temporary usage in such conditions. Willing to take that chance.)

Good luck,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #6

Fireup had to replaced his entire piece due to cracking when he tried to remove old sensor.

Interesting installing second temp sensor.

I know one thing mine will be on slideout when reinstalled, everything is there except longer wires and hoses and roller parts. That is one way Newmar up grades between Dutch Star and Kountry Star.

These engines are used on Tennant co sweepers and scrubbers and I worked on them for 14 years, never had a temp sensor problem.

Both major problems we have had on this extended trip have been due to Cummins products. Exhaust gaskets and manifold and Onan generator.

Took gen to Anchorage for repair and of course it worked good there and failed again the next day. Cummins claimed they had never heard of temp sensor problems.

Dave

Tags
onan, removal