Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2022, 07:03 AM   #1

Onan that hasn't been started in years...what should I do?

Just bought an old 2005 Jayco MH. Onan Generator hasn't been started in years and wasn't much used before then....in fact, I have no idea how much it was used. Should I just replace the air filter, fuel filter, spark plug, drain and add oil and try and start it up?

I am going to admit to not knowing much about these generators but I am handy and good at following instructions Any advice is welcome (even if it is to take it in to an authorized center). Thanks!
ngraysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2022, 07:13 AM   #2

Thats what Id do. Id start it, let it run for 5-10 minutes if it sounds ok. Id probably change the oil again and then see if it puts out power.
Old 05-12-2022, 07:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngraysmith View Post
Just bought an old 2005 Jayco MH. Onan Generator hasn't been started in years and wasn't much used before then....in fact, I have no idea how much it was used. Should I just replace the air filter, fuel filter, spark plug, drain and add oil and try and start it up?

I am going to admit to not knowing much about these generators but I am handy and good at following instructions Any advice is welcome (even if it is to take it in to an authorized center). Thanks!

Since you are talking about spark plugs I would think this is a gasoline genny, if not please let us know. First things first. Doe it turn over? If yes I would check for spark. If you have spark I would try and start it. If it won't start I would see if it fires on starting fluid. If that works then I would see if it is generating electricity. Once you know everything is working then I'd do all of the maintenance you're thinking about. But I'm cheap and don't like spending money on something that may be junk.

Just a couple of thinks to think about. Most generator won't run on less that about 1/4 tank of fuel so the genny doesn't run the rig out of fuel. Make sure you have sufficient fuel. The other thing is there is generally an hour meter on the panel on the genny which should tell you how much use it's had. If it won't run and has spark my first suspect would be carburetor gumming. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 07:16 AM   #4

I would check the oil, drain any old gas, add some fresh (real) gas, and see if it runs. ...for just a few minutes.

Then start on all the maintenance.

If it doesn't run:
1. Check for spark/plug/ignition switch circuits.

2. Good fire, then check fuel supply, filter/hoses, pull the carb out for cleaning/overhaul/replacement.
Old 05-12-2022, 07:19 AM   #5

If youre mechanically inclined, drain the carb and or take it apart and clean it. If it hasnt been run in 3 years or so, its will most likely be gummed up. You might get lucky though, and trying to start it shouldnt hurt.

Shooting some wd40 down the spark plug hole may help.
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 05:51 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought a replacement carburetor off eBay for my 4000w Onan. The price won't break the bank.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254817311309
$29.74/free shipping and 99% positive rating.
(Make sure the one you buy fits your application.)
DFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:39 PM   #7

Note those $29 carburetors are made in China clones, and quality varies from slightly inferior to the genuine Onan carburetors (which retail for around $300), to absolute junk.

p.s. The genuine Onan carburetors are mostly made in Japan by Nikki
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:07 AM   #8

I've had nothing but years of good use out of the half dozen or so Chinese carburetors I got off eBay.

I think the problem most folks are having with them is the needle valves are almost never preset.
If you're not familiar with 2-stroke engine tuning I can see where it could b frustrating.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
If youre mechanically inclined, drain the carb and or take it apart and clean it. If it hasnt been run in 3 years or so, its will most likely be gummed up. You might get lucky though, and trying to start it shouldnt hurt.

Shooting some wd40 down the spark plug hole may help.
Checking the oil level and draining the bowl would be the two things I'd do before trying to start.

I would hit the prime button and listen for the pump to run for about 30 seconds to hopefully fill the bowl back up. Then try cranking to see if the thing starts. If no start, then look to find out if it's an ignition or fuel delivery problem. I'd bet a carb issue and if so, might be a good time to confirm with a quick shot of starting fluid through the carburetor throat.
Old 05-14-2022, 04:01 PM   #10

IMO, if it hasn't been run for years and the gas wasn't drained, there is a very good chance that the carb is gummed up. All you can do is try.

Tags
onan