Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2018, 05:49 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Parallax 6345 power converter

We have had our 2002 Keystone Cougar 5ver (27 ft) for about a year. No issues with the Parallax 6345 power converter till the last time out. It is the original and is 16 years old.

Camping this last weekend, temps were in the triple digits for the four days at the RV park. We have a 30A shore power service and the power converter is 45A.

During the hottest times of the day, the main and A/C fuses tripped often. No bueno. Feeling these breakers, they were HOT. I did some research and found some guy camping in Arizona under similar temps had the same problem and when he directed a small fan at the open power converter in his trailer, the circuit breaker popping issue stopped. I directed a small fan at our power converter and the breaker issue also stopped.

I suspect either the fan is dead OR there is a 140 degree thermostat that kicks the fan on may have died. In any case, when I get the time, I will check the fan and probably replace the thermostat; might even put a small 110V muffin fan in to supplement cooling. The Parallax company seems to have morphed into Magnetek but they are selling the same units (6300 series) under both names.

If yours breakers pop under higher temps, this note may be of some use.
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2018, 06:24 PM   #2

I would disable it and install a Power Max 55 amp, stand-alone converter. Moves the heat away from the breaker panel.

That's what I did.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:17 PM   #3

Me too!

How did you connect the Power Max 55 into this panel? My issue is the charger output connection. When you say you removed the Magnetek I'm guessing that includes the whole lower element yes?
WalterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 06:06 PM   #4
US1

I updated the convertor on my last RV, replacing the Parallax unit with a Progressive Dynamics. The linoleum flooring under the original Parallax was burnt from the heat from the unit. Have seen many pics of the same situation as mine.

Tags
converter, power