Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2020, 09:42 AM   #1

Piezo Stove Ignitor Question

Our Atwood brand gas stovetop has a piezo ignitor which at times seems a little finicky. It appears as if it may be somewhat temperature sensitive. One burner doesn't seem to receive spark first thing in the morning when it's cool in the RV. Later, after things have warmed up it works. Is that possible or is it my imagination?
RussOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2020, 09:48 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussOnTheRoad View Post
Our Atwood brand gas stovetop has a piezo ignitor which at times seems a little finicky. It appears as if it may be somewhat temperature sensitive. One burner doesn't seem to receive spark first thing in the morning when it's cool in the RV. Later, after things have warmed up it works. Is that possible or is it my imagination?
Any hairline crack in the insulation of the igniter can cause a failure to spark near the burner. Possibly that igniter has a weak insulator that "leaks" current but when warm, the expansion of the insulation closes the breach. Just a guess.

Could also be loose connections from the igniter to the control module as well.

Bottom line, it's possible.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:31 AM   #3

The wire leading to the igniter can "leak" voltage. Insulate these wires with electrical tape to help improve igniter performance.
Old 12-23-2020, 03:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Any hairline crack in the insulation of the igniter can cause a failure to spark near the burner. Possibly that igniter has a weak insulator that "leaks" current but when warm, the expansion of the insulation closes the breach. Just a guess.

Could also be loose connections from the igniter to the control module as well.

Bottom line, it's possible.
Interesting theory. That might explain things.
Old 12-23-2020, 03:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
The wire leading to the igniter can "leak" voltage. Insulate these wires with electrical tape to help improve igniter performance.
Now that you mention it, I have seen a YouTube video where the insulation on one of these wires had warn through And was shorting to the body of the stove. I'll take a closer look at mine and make sure the connections are tight too. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:45 PM   #6

If it's the snap type piezo igniter those are as iffy as any device made. The actual heads are kind of generic and easily replaced . The battery igniters are more reliable. I don't want to step on anyone's toes but normal electrical is no good for high voltage typical to jump through air.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:41 PM   #7

UPDATE: I pulled the lid off the range, disconnected and reconnected the lead to that burner, checked the insulation for damage and reassembled. Seems to be working better now.
2018 Arctic Fox 29-5T 5th wheel, 760 watts of rooftop solar, four 6 volt Lifeline AGM batteries, 2800 watt Magnum inverter, 1000 watt Aims inverter, Progressive PMS, Hughes Autoformer; 2017 Ford F350 XLT Supercab diesel dually 4x4
Old 01-23-2021, 08:56 PM   #8

UPDATE #2: In my previous update I stated that I removed and reconnected the piezo igniter wire and things seemed better. That didn't last. Next I covered the wire to the misbehaving burner with some shrink wrap I had laying around. I didn't shrink it. I just wanted to see if additional insulation would help. That was weeks ago and the burner has lit consistently without issue ever since. Because of its expense I may replace the shrink wrap with electrical tape. Maybe not. Point is, as noted above, it seems the insulation on the igniter wires isn't so good and beefing it up a little can fix this problem.
2018 Arctic Fox 29-5T 5th wheel, 760 watts of rooftop solar, four 6 volt Lifeline AGM batteries, 2800 watt Magnum inverter, 1000 watt Aims inverter, Progressive PMS, Hughes Autoformer; 2017 Ford F350 XLT Supercab diesel dually 4x4
Old 01-23-2021, 09:08 PM   #9

Quote:
UPDATE #2: In my previous update I stated that I removed and reconnected the piezo igniter wire and things seemed better. That didn't last. Next I covered the wire to the misbehaving burner with some shrink wrap I had laying around. I didn't shrink it. I just wanted to see if additional insulation would help. That was weeks ago and the burner has lit consistently without issue ever since. Because of its expense I may replace the shrink wrap with electrical tape. Maybe not. Point is, as noted above, it seems the insulation on the igniter wires isn't so good and beefing it up a little can fix this problem.
Shrink wrap is already on and as you said it was just laying around so it was FREE and now it is being put to good use

Thanks for the RE-update!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:19 PM   #10

Can you adjust the gap closer to the burner? Cool temps could affect the gas pressure and it may not reach the spark.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Some people are doing an upgrade with a 12V lighter. I have bought it as well here but have not yet installed it just yet. There is a youtube on it:
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 07:41 PM   #12

I just swapped the piezoelectric ignitor for a spark generator similar to the one in the video above. He used a 4 terminal ignitor for a 3 burner stove but didn't explain what he did with the 4th terminal. I used a 3 terminal burner. I have the same 3 burner stove as in the video. The spark generator didn't fit so easily and I had to bend some sheet metal out of the way.

I did not remove the control panel as in the video and I used a step drill bit to enlarge the hole which was much easier than what he did in the video.

The new setup works great.
Old 11-06-2021, 08:02 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Thanks to Mile Marker 42

Thanks for posting the YouTube video link. I have the exact same cooktop and irritating problem. I found the exact sparker, ordered it and had it in my hands next day and installed it that evening. I did use my drill press to enlarge the hole in the facing with. 7/8” hole saw. Done in about an hour! It works flawlessly.
I also found a smaller sparkler to use on my simple gas BBQ whose kludge clanker igniter worked at best half the time. Installation was much more difficult and an equally greater reward in the end. It too now works perfectly. Two irritants gone from my life.
Terbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 10:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terbeau View Post
Thanks for posting the YouTube video link. I have the exact same cooktop and irritating problem. I found the exact sparker, ordered it and had it in my hands next day and installed it that evening. I did use my drill press to enlarge the hole in the facing with. 7/8” hole saw. Done in about an hour! It works flawlessly.
I also found a smaller sparkler to use on my simple gas BBQ whose kludge clanker igniter worked at best half the time. Installation was much more difficult and an equally greater reward in the end. It too now works perfectly. Two irritants gone from my life.
One thing I'd like to add is that I found even with the electric spark generator sometimes burners didn't light right away all the time. Then, by trial and error I discovered that by pressing the button on the spark generator before turning on the burner the burners light right away, all the time, every time.