Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2021, 06:43 AM   #1

Plumbing help needed

I broke a fitting while replacing an outdoor shower. I know plumbing, but this stuff is strange.

See the image. I need to replace the adapter that connects from the plastic line to the service hookup on the fixture.

The line measures .628 OD. Just a hair over 15mm.

I am thinking a press on fitting, or you folks can advise what tool/parts I need to re-crimp the end.

Would this work: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/seate...2-nps--4508917

??

I have to leave in 8 days on a trip!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-05-06 08.24.26.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	327387  
blueridgedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2021, 06:47 AM   #2

Perhaps this will work:

https://www.amazon.com/Flair-16873-P...7&sr=8-45&th=1
Old 05-06-2021, 07:01 AM   #3

Which fitting did you break? Male or female? The lines are 1/2” so 1/2” pex fittings will work. Fittings are available at Lowe’s and Home Depot. You will need the crimp tool and they have some real simple ones you use vice grips with. I have a set with some spare parts I keep with my tool set. Either way you do it, make sure it’s right.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntheroad View Post
Which fitting did you break? Male or female? The lines are 1/2 so 1/2 pex fittings will work..

Okay, so the line is 1/2 pex and any pex to 1/2 ntp female swivel will work. I don't have pex gear (old fashion plumber). I will get a crimp tool and a fitting like:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-5...ing/1000183171
Old 05-06-2021, 07:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgedog View Post
Okay, so the line is 1/2 pex and any pex to 1/2 ntp female swivel will work. I don't have pex gear (old fashion plumber). I will get a crimp tool and a fitting like:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-5...ing/1000183171
Or, you can simply purchase the Sharkbite swivel adapter that already has the slip-on connection. No need to purchase a crimping tool.

Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Or, you can simply purchase the Sharkbite swivel adapter that already has the slip-on connection. No need to purchase a crimping tool.

Is that a big box part? I have looked through Lowes and can't find such a thing...that was what I was originally looking for.

Perhaps Home Depot.

If you snagged that image, please link to the part...thanks.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:13 AM   #7

Easy to fix if you get a crimp tool and the fittings are cheap. Everything in the RV is going to be 1/2” so having tool does come in handy if you get other leaks while on road. The shark bite fittings work well but on a per unit cost are rather high. If you find the pex tubing in Lowe’s or HD there is usually a big section of then right next to the pex. Good luck. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 05-06-2021, 08:42 AM   #8

Gotta agree with trapper but conditionally. Sharkbite for this fix but hunt for the best deal on a decent pex tool. The sharkbite is expensive but removable and reusable. Great for emergency repairs. Pex is predominate in all RV plumbing and taking the time to acquire basic proficiency using it will save you money and open up avenues to some very useful customizations/upgrades to your rig! Don't forget your stick and brick projects too!
rrsutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgedog View Post
Is that a big box part? I have looked through Lowes and can't find such a thing...that was what I was originally looking for.

Perhaps Home Depot.

If you snagged that image, please link to the part...thanks.
Our Lowes carries a wide variety of SharkBite fittings in the plumbing section.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:54 AM   #10

I have a blog article on my reconfiguration of the fresh water tank to pump plumbing: https://blog.tom-goetz.org/2021/04/r...-and-pump.html

The "Wetbay winterization reconfigure" and "Tools" section of the materials section have links to the PEX crimps, tools ,etc that would would use to fix this as originally built.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:54 AM   #11

Overall, I agree with Trapper2020 about investing is some basic crimping tool and clamps, but in a one-off situation and for ease of repair, the Sharkbite is an option that is out there.

The image was snagged from Lowes website.
Item #818128Model #U072LFZC
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 12:17 PM   #12

Just an FYI: It can be difficult to remove the existing crimp ring without damaging the pipe, and you're generally not supposed to try -- so if you didn't plan to already, make sure you get enough crimp rings, a short section of 1/2 pex pipe, and a 1/2 pex-b coupler should you end up cutting the existing pipe back a few inches.

Edit: Also, I don't believe the male thread on that faucet is NPT, so you probably wouldn't get a good connection with a Female NPT fitting like the above shark-bite push fitting. The other swivel fittings would probably work.
whybother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 04:28 PM   #13

Bought a pex tool, some bands, 1/2 barb to 1/2 NTP female swivel fittings. Lopped off the bad fitting with a tubing cutter and put in a fresh one. Simple and done.

I have never used pex before and did not even recognize it...it certainly takes the refinement out of plumbing and explains why the water areas of my camper looks like such a mess, there is no reason to make a neat job as it can all just be crimped together even if you are off by ten degrees or more on the joint...just bend it and crimp it. Regardless thanks for the folks that advised what this crazy stuff is and I am sorry I think plastic plumbing is strange.

Tags
plumbing