Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2016, 05:28 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Possible silly question-inverter,coffee maker

Hi
Might be a silly question but it strikes at the heart of what makes the wilderness wonderful in the morning.

Can I run my 900w coffee maker off of a 1000w inverter like

Amazon.com : BESTEK 2 AC Outlets 1000W Power Inverter with Battery Clamps and Car Cigarette Lighter Plug : Vehicle Power Inverters : Electronics
refRID=1TP6S45PJF981BMGMYAT

this without damaging my batteries.
Assuming I have the proper wires to it from the battery?

I have four large 6v golf cart batteries and I do have 3- 100w solar cells ti recharge them. We are talking about a national park situation here with a no generator area.
Kahoona is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2016, 05:38 PM   #2

Probably. The power advertised on inverters always overestimates what they are actually capable of handling. It won't damage your batteries, it will run them down fairly quickly since it's on the neighborhood of a seven amps current draw. When the batteries get low in power the inverter will shut off, so there is no danger in over draining them.
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:05 PM   #3

Very simple solution: We have a coffee pot which is old school. Fill it up and put it on the gas stove and make coffee. We always have our Coleman Road Trip grille along with us. More often than not we use the grille to make coffee on.
This has never run our battery down.
Lynn
Old 02-21-2016, 06:12 PM   #4

Should be fine with the right gauge cables to the batteries.

You will be pulling 75 to 80 amps from your batteries but only for 2 minutes, maybe.

You will use about 2.70 AH

You have about 225 AH usable.

The problem I found, was I have my coffee in the AM. By then the batteries are low from too much TV the night before.

In that case, I run the MH engine until the coffee is made. ( Does that count as a generator ? )
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:12 PM   #5

I use a Keruig unit and it will pop my 200 amp circuit breaker leading to the inverter after about a minute.
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderRV View Post
I use a Keruig unit and it will pop my 200 amp circuit breaker leading to the inverter after about a minute.
You have a 24,000 watt coffee maker? That must be pretty hot coffee!
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvo View Post
You have a 24,000 watt coffee maker? That must be pretty hot coffee!
That would be 2400 watts at 12 volts.

He was talking about the 12 volt breaker leading to the inverter .

To the OP,

A Keriug draws about about 1500 watts so that works out to 125 amps on the DC side.

Even with losses in the inverter, with nothing else on, the breaker should hold.

Could be a weak breaker or overheating due to small gauge wiring.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

To the OP,

A Keriug draws about about 1500 watts so that works out to 125 amps on the DC side.

Even with losses in the inverter, with nothing else on, the breaker should hold.

Another point, my 2000 watt inverter suggests a 250 amp fuse.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:36 AM   #9
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
Hi
Might be a silly question but it strikes at the heart of what makes the wilderness wonderful in the morning.

Can I run my 900w coffee maker off of a 1000w inverter like

Amazon.com : BESTEK 2 AC Outlets 1000W Power Inverter with Battery Clamps and Car Cigarette Lighter Plug : Vehicle Power Inverters : Electronics
refRID=1TP6S45PJF981BMGMYAT

this without damaging my batteries.
Assuming I have the proper wires to it from the battery?

I have four large 6v golf cart batteries and I do have 3- 100w solar cells ti recharge them. We are talking about a national park situation here with a no generator area.
The cables on that inverter look awful thin to handle that much load even for a couple of minutes.

I didn't see it in the description of the inverter, but for that price is has to be modified sine wave. That will probably be OK for a standard drip coffee pot that does not have a timer with auto function. Electronic controls like that frequently do not like MSW.

If you end up running your coffee pot from an inverter, brew the coffee and put it into a Thermos. Do not leave the pot on to keep the coffee hot or you'll run down the batteries.

A better solution is to do what LETMGROW suggests and get a stove top percolator for when you're boondocking.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:04 AM   #10

I would make sure you are covered by your fire insurance and have a "Go Bag" ready by the door.
Happy Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:20 AM   #11

The Bestek inverter is a pretty popular inexpensive inverter.

Do you think that because they have what looks like "thin wires" in a picture, they are about to burst into flames when you make a cup of coffee ?

Is that a marketing strategy to sell more ?

Do you pack a bag when you light the stove, to perk coffee ? There's a fire waiting to happen !

I used one for a while, it made my coffee. I got tired of the noisy fan when watching TV. No flames though.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:02 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Whenever I wanted coffee and had no electricity I put a pan of water on the gas stove and heated it up. While It was heating I used that time to fill the coffee makers basket with grounds. Once the water was properly heated I simply slowly poured the hot water on top of the grounds and soon had a pot of coffee.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

To the OP,

It's this breaker:

I also realized the terminals are reversed but I assume that shouldn't make any difference.
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderRV View Post
It's this breaker:

I also realized the terminals are reversed but I assume that shouldn't make any difference.
It may.

Tags
inverter