Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2018, 08:37 PM   #1

Power adapters

I know this is kind of a silly question, with listed use but here goes.

Over Christmas we will be be using the RV inside a large building (aircraft hanger) that is minimally heated, ~50*F. There are outlets all over the place on multiple circuits, but all are standard 20A.

My RV has 50 amp service going to it.

While parked we would like to use the fridge (unknown amp draw), fireplace which I believe is 1500 watts which is 12.5 amps, and converter (unknown draw on a 20 amp breaker).

I assume this is too many amps to draw from a single circuit. Is there a safe way to be able to feed 2 separate 20 amp circuits into my RV?

I used this space before with my old trailer but it only had a 20 amp (DC) charger and we ran floor heater on low ~750 watts (in a much smaller space) and it was not a problem.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2018, 09:12 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think I'd run a couple extension cords from various outlets in the hanger.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:49 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post

While parked we would like to use the fridge (unknown amp draw), fireplace which I believe is 1500 watts which is 12.5 amps, and converter (unknown draw on a 20 amp breaker).

I assume this is too many amps to draw from a single circuit. Is there a safe way to be able to feed 2 separate 20 amp circuits into my RV?

If you try run all that load one 20 Amp circuit you'll likely trip a breaker. The killer is the fireplace at 1500 watts. Keep in mind you should not ever try to fully load any circuit for an extended time. There are different ratings for breakers, but something like 80% rated load is a safe max, IMO.

NO, do not attempt to combine multiple circuits without knowing what you're doing. Since you asking this, you don't understand the issues. But we will try to help you understand. You know nothing about the main panel in the hanger. If two circuits are on different legs you'll get a 240 volt-short if the wires are connected together. If on the same supply leg, you have parallel conducts, a possible code violation. The main panel in site like that may be 240 volt split phase or possibly 3-phase supply, in which case legs are 120 degrees out of phase with each other.

A 50 Amp RV connection is wired like a 240 volt feed, two individual power legs in the RV's breaker panel. Very few RVs today have any true 240 volt appliances, a few do. Two hots and a shared common, plus ground. You could use a power dog bone, a 30 amp and 20 amp feed going to a male 50 amp connector. Then add a 30 to 20 amp adapter on the 30 amp leg. This gives you two 20 amp feeds.

Each leg in the RV's breaker box is only going to have 20 amps, not 40 amps.This could help IF the fireplace is not on the same leg as the frig or converter. If it is, you have not really gained very much. In worst case you could have all three of these loads on the same leg, nothing gained. If you understand breaker boxes, you could pop the cover, with the power off to the RV and examine the layout of the three circuits. Each of these loads should be on it's own breaker.

If you must use the fireplace, consider pulling it off the RV's power system and run it on a heavy duty extension cord to a second wall outlet on a different circuit. How will you determine which outlet is on which circuit in the hanger?

Good luck... be safe
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:51 PM   #4

Run a good heavy gauge extension cord and plug fridge into it (remove lower access cover)

Run a good heavy gauge extension cord and plug RV into it using 50A to 30A adapter and a 30A to 20A adapter
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
If you try run all that load one 20 Amp circuit you'll likely trip a breaker. The killer is the fireplace at 1500 watts. Keep in mind you should not ever try to fully load any circuit for an extended time. There are different ratings for breakers, but something like 80% rated load is a safe max, IMO.

NO, do not attempt to combine multiple circuits without knowing what you're doing. Since you asking this, you don't understand the issues. But we will try to help you understand. You know nothing about the main panel in the hanger. If two circuits are on different legs you'll get a 240 volt-short if the wires are connected together. If on the same supply leg, you have parallel conducts, a possible code violation. The main panel in site like that may be 240 volt split phase or possibly 3-phase supply, in which case legs are 120 degrees out of phase with each other.

A 50 Amp RV connection is wired like a 240 volt feed, two individual power legs in the RV's breaker panel. Very few RVs today have any true 240 volt appliances, a few do. Two hots and a shared common, plus ground. You could use a power dog bone, a 30 amp and 20 amp feed going to a male 50 amp connector. Then add a 30 to 20 amp adapter on the 30 amp leg. This gives you two 20 amp feeds.

Each leg in the RV's breaker box is only going to have 20 amps, not 40 amps.This could help IF the fireplace is not on the same leg as the frig or converter. If it is, you have not really gained very much. In worst case you could have all three of these loads on the same leg, nothing gained. If you understand breaker boxes, you could pop the cover, with the power off to the RV and examine the layout of the three circuits. Each of these loads should be on it's own breaker.

If you must use the fireplace, consider pulling it off the RV's power system and run it on a heavy duty extension cord to a second wall outlet on a different circuit. How will you determine which outlet is on which circuit in the hanger?

Good luck... be safe
I knew about the 80% and I know a fair amount about electricity, that is why I am here asking.

I realize that combining incompatible circuits is bad, hence my question.

This building is old and has enough power in it to run the space program. The is 3-phase power coming in at some point. We also have some newer wiring that was installed a couple of years ago that is at current code. These are the outlets I would be using.

The fireplace is on 1 leg with it's own breaker. The converter is on the other leg with it's own breaker. The fridge does not have it's own breaker. I have 2 sets of outlets GFI which is on the same leg as the fireplace and RECEPT on the leg with the converter. I am assuming the fridge is on the RECEPT breaker, but I am not sure and I can not check at the moment.

I had seen the 2-30 amp to 50 amp adapter. I was considering one of these and using 20 amp adapters on them. However, I wanted to check first. I have also seen the ones that have a 30 amp and a 15 amp to 50 amp adapter.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post

Good luck... be safe
I am a Master Electrician and you just confused the HELL out of me!
Old 12-05-2018, 10:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
I know this is kind of a silly question, with listed use but here goes.

Over Christmas we will be be using the RV inside a large building (aircraft hanger) that is minimally heated, ~50*F. There are outlets all over the place on multiple circuits, but all are standard 20A.

My RV has 50 amp service going to it.

I used this space before with my old trailer but it only had a 20 amp (DC) charger and we ran floor heater on low ~750 watts (in a much smaller space) and it was not a problem.
Use a dog bone adapter to your RV for Converter, fridge, lighting. outlets. Then run a separate 20 amp cord thru your slide and plug in a ceramic or oil heater.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Use a dog bone adapter to your RV for Converter, fridge, lighting. outlets. Then run a separate 20 amp cord thru your slide and plug in a ceramic or oil heater.
Probably the easiest. I just though there might be an easy way to provide 15-20 amps to each leg of the RV.

How do the 2-30 amp to 50 amp converters work and is there a reason they can not be reduced to 20 amps and run from separate circuits? Is there an "easy" answer I don's want you to write a novel at my expense.

Tags
ada, power