Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #1

Power Gear leveling

Hope this wasn't a mistake. My levelers were slow to retract. I cleaned them with WD-40 and they retracted great. I then went to "Power Gear's" web site & they said not to use WD-40 as it "may" cause damage. Do I have a problem or are they trying to steer me towards their lubricating products?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #2

I don't think one time will hurt anything.Did you read the part about not lifting the wheels off the ground with them(like i did) before i found the instructions and blew out one of the cylinders.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneumanns
Hope this wasn't a mistake. My levelers were slow to retract. I cleaned them with WD-40 and they retracted great. I then went to "Power Gear's" web site & they said not to use WD-40 as it "may" cause damage. Do I have a problem or are they trying to steer me towards their lubricating products?
If they're electric, there isn't any lubricating requirements. You can email PG for a quick response. Info@powergearus.com.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
If they're electric, there isn't any lubricating requirements. You can email PG for a quick response. Info@powergearus.com.
They are electric but I used your suggestion & I e-mailed them to see if I have a problem. I'll follow up with an answer.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:07 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Quote:

They are electric but I used your suggestion & I e-mailed them to see if I have a problem. I'll follow up with an answer.
I'm sure they will respond quickly. They have been great in this regard. The one thing that is real important to keep clean and free of grease and oil is the magnets on each jack
Leg. They are silver in color and about the size of a dime located a few inches from bottom of leg . Just wipe them off good with a rag. There is another magnet on top that you can't get to. These magnets are used by the sensor and let's the control board know when the jacks are extended or retracted.

Good luck

Ps
Here is a tec doc. Figure #2 shows these magnets. http://support.powergearus.com/techd...20lo%20res.pdf

Old 03-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dirt and dust will stick to WD 40 that is why they say not to use it.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard S.
Dirt and dust will stick to WD 40 that is why they say not to use it.
Actually, they say not to use any lubricant.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lots of folks think WD-40 is a lubricant, and though it does, somewhat, it is really a cleaner and a penetrate. By using it you likely have done some damage, With a single use you may have taken as much as a Week off the life of the jack seals. (I doubt you have done worse than that). In short, not enough damage to really notice.

Use the recommended libricant, and do the job again.

NOTE: Some Power Gear jacks have Zerk fittings.. 2 of my 4 do, if yours has them they are in the ring at the bottom part of the STATIONARY portion of the jack (The cylinder, not the piston) one "Stroke" of White Lithium is recommended by friends of mine,, I use Lithium (not white) and it seems to work well.

ON the front jacks (NO Zerk) I use the recommended products.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm
Lots of folks think WD-40 is a lubricant, and though it does, somewhat, it is really a cleaner and a penetrate. By using it you likely have done some damage, With a single use you may have taken as much as a Week off the life of the jack seals. (I doubt you have done worse than that). In short, not enough damage to really notice.

Use the recommended libricant, and do the job again.

NOTE: Some Power Gear jacks have Zerk fittings.. 2 of my 4 do, if yours has them they are in the ring at the bottom part of the STATIONARY portion of the jack (The cylinder, not the piston) one "Stroke" of White Lithium is recommended by friends of mine,, I use Lithium (not white) and it seems to work well.

ON the front jacks (NO Zerk) I use the recommended products.
Please see the op answer to my question above. He has elec jacks. No Zerk fittings and no lubricating of jacks.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #10

Power Gear responded saying to wipe them down with silicone often. They didn't comment as to any problems I might have as a result of using WD-40. My feeling is that a one time spray of it won't cause any permanent damage.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Quote:
Power Gear responded saying to wipe them down with silicone often. They didn't comment as to any problems I might have as a result of using WD-40. My feeling is that a one time spray of it won't cause any permanent damage.
Thanks for the update and I'm glad you didn't create a problem. Are you sure you have electric jacks? Do they look like the ones in the link I gave you?The silicone throws me off as they have told me not to put it on my electric jacks.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:20 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Update. I pm'd the op and he indeed has hydraulic and not electric as he originally thought. Therefore the advice he got from power gear to silicone the jacks was correct. To sum up , the all electric jacks should never be lubricated per power gear. Hope this clears up a somewhat confusing thread.

Tags
leveling, power