Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Power Gear return springs

While camped here, I just discovered the rear 2 return springs broke. We must have been gone as Im sure we would have heard them go.

From what I have briefly read, I'll need to get them from a supplier and not PowerGear.

When I do get the parts, whats the best way to replace them. Looks to me to remove the top bar that bolts to the top of the cylinder, that the top of the spring bolts to. Or is there a better way?
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51
While camped here, I just discovered the rear 2 return springs broke. We must have been gone as Im sure we would have heard them go.

From what I have briefly read, I'll need to get them from a supplier and not PowerGear.

When I do get the parts, whats the best way to replace them. Looks to me to remove the top bar that bolts to the top of the cylinder, that the top of the spring bolts to. Or is there a better way?
Power Gear will not sell you parts as you stated however they will tell you how to replace them. They may have a tip sheet they can email you. You can contact them Mon. - Fri. info@powergearus.com.

Good luck.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall

Power Gear will not sell you parts as you stated however they will tell you how to replace them. They may have a tip sheet they can email you. You can contact them Mon. - Fri. info@powergearus.com.

Good luck.
Thanks. I did find a thread regarding the replacement, very easy with the proper tools. My problem so far is finding someone who can order them. Called CW, but the parts lady was clueless. I found one local shop that understood what I needed, but he's busy until Wednesday. I guess I'll have to wait until Monday.

In the meantime, if any knows a big shop that might carry these that will ship, I'll be all ears!
Old 03-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
Community Administrator

I know Fleetwood sells PG parts. Other mfg do as well. You may gave some luck there. FW's # 800-322-8216

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I very strongly suspect the return springs can be found at a good hardware speciality store, or at least springs enough like them that your jacks would never know the difference, Just in case you can not find them elsewhere.. Try a Fastener store.

Note; If nothing else this kind of store usually a few (Thousand, or Million) screws loose in their stock room (Of course I'm talking about the kind they sell, not the kind the write pay checks to).
Old 03-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Duh, never dawned on me to call a mfg. Did try FW but they are closed until Monday too. I'll get 'em eventually. I can always wire them up until I get back home.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm
I very strongly suspect the return springs can be found at a good hardware speciality store, or at least springs enough like them that your jacks would never know the difference, Just in case you can not find them elsewhere.. Try a Fastener store.
I probably could find a temp replacement and rig something, but these springs are 17 x 2.5 inches and a loop at the bottom. The top narrows to about 3/8 which is held by a vertical bolt in the center. They are so stiff, I can barely bend them to insert shims.

When I find proper replacements, if I cant get them before I go home, its easy enough to pry the cylinders up (with proper leverage) and wire or zip tie them in place. So its not a big deal as I initially thought. If I was in a big bind, I would certainly use your suggestion!
Old 03-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
When I find proper replacements, if I cant get them before I go home, its easy enough to pry the cylinders up (with proper leverage) and wire or zip tie them in place. So its not a big deal as I initially thought. If I was in a big bind, I would certainly use your suggestion!
FLoor or bottle jack, Getting them up a little bit basically takes a spade and someone inside pushing the "RETRACT ALL JACKS" Button over and over (every time the jacks down light goes out or every mintue)

Work it up with the spade till you can get a jack under it then jack it up a bit, Button it down, Jack it up, and so on till it is "Topped out" (Really bottomed out in jack terms but "All the way up) then use whatever means you like to tie it up. Coat hangers work here.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:27 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Yesterday I got a 2x4 and used the broken spring as a fulcrum. Had them both up in a minute. Sure went smoother than I was expecting! Very good tips btw! Thanks.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Oh. The DW only uses those fat plastic hangers. So I always carry a 50ft roll of bailing wire, zip ties and duct tape. Gave up on the bubble gum as the dentist bill was getting high
Old 03-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Thanks. I did find a thread regarding the replacement, very easy with the proper tools. My problem so far is finding someone who can order them. Called CW, but the parts lady was clueless. I found one local shop that understood what I needed, but he's busy until Wednesday. I guess I'll have to wait until Monday.

In the meantime, if any knows a big shop that might carry these that will ship, I'll be all ears!
Call Camping World main number and not the local store. I needed a part, end cover for my Carefree awning and Carefree would not sell to me direct even though I had the part number. I called CW main office, not local store and asked for parts. I told them what I needed and gave them the part number and CW ordered it and shipped it to my house. Any RV dealership's part's department should also be able to order it for you.
buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I called the main parts number on their website, thats when I got the clueless lady. She did say to call back Monday and I could talk to a Tech. I gave her the part number but she still couldn't comprehend.

I found a local guy and he is going to call PG Monday for prices and shipping time. A very nice and helpful fellow. He said he could have PG drop ship them to me or, for $100, he would put them on for me right in the CG. I like doing my own work, but this is very tempting