Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2014, 04:25 PM   #1

Power inverter issues

This is getting old, FAST!! Just when I get one problem solved, I find I have another.
I have a 2000 Itasca Horizon with the 300 hp Cat, and a Quiet power 7500w generator, Heart Interface 15 (1500 watt) power inverter.
I have been having problems with the automatic transfer switch, so I ordered a new one and installed it. Not particularly difficult, but definitely tedious because the original unit had all the input/output on one side, the new has the input from the gen and shore power on one end, the output on the other. Of course all the wires aren't long enough to simply reroute. That would be entirely too easy. LOL. Before installing the new switch, and when the old one was inoperative, the inverter panel in the coach worked and showed what the incoming amperage was, the battery charge level, and turned the inverter on and off. After installing the switch, I fired up the gen, waited the 15 or so seconds for it to engage, and presto! I'm back in business. Or so I thought. Now the inverter panel doesn't even light up, none of the buttons are responsive, but with the gen off and no shore power at all, all the 110 outlets are still active! Obviously, the inverter is on. Not only that, I had to flip the breaker to get the power turned off to all the receptacles.
There are no connections to the inverter inside the switch box that I replaced, so nothing got left off or disconnected. I'm kind of lost.

Coincidence, or somehow related?

By the way, the main panel for the generator/shore power is working fine. The display shows the generator load, the LEDs showing power to the microwave, refer, etc. light up, so that part is working perfectly.

Any ideas?
BigDBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2014, 04:46 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like something is miswired. I would double check everything
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 04:51 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Your Inverter panel is a remote to the Inverter itself. Most likely the panel needs to be rebooted and synced.

Remove the data cable for the remote form its socket on the front of the inverter, wait a few minutes and plug it back in. If that doesn't reset the panel possibly you will need to do a cold reboot for the entire inverter.

PDF file of the manual is below. It has a lot of information and for troubleshooting towards the back.

http://www.solarcellsales.com/techin...w458Manual.pdf

Dr4Film ----- Richaard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDBright View Post
This is getting old, FAST!! Now the inverter panel doesn't even light up, none of the buttons are responsive, but with the gen off and no shore power at all, all the 110 outlets are still active! Obviously, the inverter is on.
There are no connections to the inverter inside the switch box that I replaced, so nothing got left off or disconnected. I'm kind of lost.
Any ideas?
BigDBright
MAYBE!
It may sound crazy but in my coach, (as built by Safari Motor Coach, Inc, in 1996), if/when the backup camera switch, in the drivers left console, was ON the inverter was ON.... (because the original back up monitor was a 120VAC CRT TV).
I have since corrected that by rewiring the camera switch and upgrading to a 7' 12VDC LED monitor.
Good luck.
Mel
'96 Safari Sahara
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #5

Thanks, Richard!
I took your advise and unplugged the cable at the back of the panel switch (looks like a telephone wire/plug), let it sit for a few seconds, plugged it back in, and PRESTO! We're back in business! At least until something else quits. ROTFL!

Thanks again! My wife was peeking over my shoulder when I was looking to see how much a new inverter costs and wasn't too enthused at the thought of replacing the inverter at over $1,000.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:55 PM   #6

Mel, I'm going to go outside and look right now! I had the camera turned on full time when I was moving the coach around to work on it. I don't remember if I turned it back to automatic so it works only in reverse or not.

Thanks!
Old 09-27-2014, 06:56 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I leave my rear-view camera display on all the time. I like to see what's going on back there. Actually, I have four cameras for my trailer when I am towing it and I'm adding another two that are in each of my new side mirrors that I am installing. All of them are displayed on a separate 15 inch display I have hanging over my side of the dash off of the bottom of my overhead cabinet.

Regarding the rear-view if I see smoke or anything strange happening with my trailer or car depending on what I happen to be towing it will give me a heads-up long before the problem becomes a disaster.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, power