Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2015, 07:52 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Power Transfer Switch will not switch......

With my Generator running and the Generator on-line 35-amp dual circuit breakers in the "on" position and no shore power connected, the Power Transfer Switch will not switch to the "generator" power source. What is the likely cause of this? It worked fine 6 months ago, also works on shore power. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2015, 12:45 AM   #2

I would check and make sure the power is reaching the ATS. In other words, is the Gen making power, not just running? If it is and the ATS is not switching then it might be time for a new one. Most but not all, the ATS default is the Gen.
and switches to SP when SP is present. Since yours is getting power through the ATS while under SP, then appears to be switching if it's wired that way. I would start check all the connection at the ATS.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:06 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Step one.. CAUTION dangerous voltage present (or should be) Measure voltage at INPUT of ATS. IF not proper fix that issue.

If good replace ATS or ATS control board.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:18 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Both of my Fleetwood Motorhome the ATS defaulted to the shore power. There is a time delay of about 30 sec on the ATS before it engages allowing the Gen to get up to speed and stabilize itself.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:59 AM   #5

If your not experienced with Ac power, be very careful. Now, turn off genny and unplug from shore power then try to move the relay points down then they should spring up, just had mine get stuck,arced together turning off genny with air conditioning running, they don't move alot, but you can have someone start the genny while you look at the points
Old 11-10-2015, 07:57 PM   #6

I realize this is a late - but had a similar issue. It happened after the ATS had been replaced. Turned out to be the breaker on the generator itself. Good thing to remember.

Hope it has been fixed.
Woodburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:09 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The O/P said he checked the breakers on the Generator.. By the way on SOME generators that is not as easy as it sounds.. Less the light is "Just so" I can not see the On/OFF indicators on my Generator so if they are both the same way one ASSUMES both on... Sadly that's not always the case.. I modified my generator (Thank you Brother P-TOuch) I printed a label that went onto the panel to the OFF side of the breakers,, It says
O
F
F
So if the breaker toggels point that way. It's tripped

(There is no "Center trip" on those breakers, just ON/OFF.

Works great.

Word of caution.. For the last 9.5 years I've always made a point of only transferring NO LOAD.. Two transfer procedures
1: Turn off shore power. (At park end, or unplug) Wait 3 minutes, Start generator
1b: Stop genrator, Restore power via Surge Guard with 3 minute delay.

The 3 minutes is for the benefit of the A/C's and is not used if they are in FAN mode or OFF

Method 2

Turn off MAIN breakers here in the RV.. Then start or stop Generator, 3 minutes later restore main breakers. (Again the 3 minutes is only if the A/C is in COOLING modes or heat for a heat pump)

Why the 3 minutes.. Lets the compressors do a normal start instead of a full pressure stall.

Why transfer NO LOAD (or very tiny load) Well you notice I said the last 9.5 years,, the age of my ATS... The rest of the RV is 10.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #8

do following to check type of ats.

An ats designed for stand by power is powered by the generator while some folks report theirs ate powered by shore power.

By "powered" is the relays are activated by power present on that line otherwise they are relaxed or in normal position.

Locate ats then have a helper listen to it when shore power plugged in.

If it clicks it is shore powered if not could be generator powered.

If quiet fire up generator while helper listen s and if still no noise it could be bad or no generator voltage.

Confirm voltage and breakers.

Some have a delay controlled by timer that fails.

There may be a jumper to bypass or disable that function.

Our inverter has external ats with timer that was bad causing it to not activate and moving jumper fixed it.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:54 PM   #9

Also with everything off dip the generator breakers both ways a couple times making sure all the way.

If still dead flip them opposite and see just in case
Old 11-12-2015, 10:22 PM   #10

wa8yxm!
The most common cause of switch failure is switching while under load.

Mine fails to switch about once a year. I slap the box and it jars it enough to switch the contacts. I suspect this is because of dirty contacts and infrequent use, but as long as my hand holds out, I"m good. When it fails more often, I'll remove the lid and clean contacts.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:38 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
wa8yxm!
The most common cause of switch failure is switching while under load.

Mine fails to switch about once a year. I slap the box and it jars it enough to switch the contacts. I suspect this is because of dirty contacts and infrequent use, but as long as my hand holds out, I"m good. When it fails more often, I'll remove the lid and clean contacts.
You can thank Dick Berry (The Berrys) for this great tip from his "pinball machine" repair experience (hundreds of relays). The metal in the relays tend to become "self magnetized" and the electromagnetic coil cannot overcome the opposing magnetism and close the contacts. Solution.....hit the relay with the butt of a large screwdriver a couple of times. This causes the molecules of the metal to realign and to loose it's self-magnetism. Problem fixed! Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:22 PM   #12

Thanks Rook! I'll remember that long enough to write it in my manual.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, transfer switch