Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2008, 07:29 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Anyone know the useful life of the Propane gas detector Safe Alert mdl# 40-442A. Mine is dated Oct 20 2004 and keeps going of. I replaced it in 2005. I thought the cat pan was setting it off, but this morning it went off beside the house with no propane on and no cat pan in the mh.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2008, 07:29 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Anyone know the useful life of the Propane gas detector Safe Alert mdl# 40-442A. Mine is dated Oct 20 2004 and keeps going of. I replaced it in 2005. I thought the cat pan was setting it off, but this morning it went off beside the house with no propane on and no cat pan in the mh.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:51 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine is made by CCI Controls and started giving false alarms with no cleaning products or anything else around to cause them about three years after the manufacturing date of 2003.

I was able to keep it working okay by a combination of vacuuming it and blowing it out every so often until last month when it stared false alarming and blowing it out stopped doing any good. So it lasted about five years.
Just ordered a new one last week.

The CO detector also died last week and the new one arrived yesterday. The info that comes with it said the life of it is no more than six years. Mine only lasted about five years.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:15 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Well, it hasn't even been two years and the Propane Gas detector model 40-442A is going off again. What are the rest of you seeing on life of these Deectors????? Also, anyone know an inexpensive source for buying them??
Old 08-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know this sounds crazy, but check your house batteries. I had an alarm that kept going off. I keep my motorhome plugged into shore power and two of my 6 volt batteries had gone bad causing the water to continuously boil. It was the gases emitted from the batteries that cause the propane alarm to go off. My house batteries are outside of the motorhome in an enclosed metal compartment in front of my steps. I would have never thought the gases would make it inside. I replaced all the batteries and I've not had a problem with the propane detector since.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The detector companies say about 5 years of useful life, but many things can shorten that considerably. The sensor inside is very susceptible to contamination from almost any type of aerosol spray, cleaning products (which typically put a lot of chemical vapor in the air), smoke of any type, battery vapors, exposure to exhaust fumes, and even plain old dust & dirt. Since the LP detector is usually fairly close to the floor, floor cleaners and wax products are one common source of contamination.

My guess is that something you use regularly in the coach is shortening the lifespan.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote