Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2011, 06:01 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Problem with A&E Awning

Hi ,
New to MH, Have a 1997 Dolphin . A few weeks ago in N,D. had head winds at 20 to 30 knots and my awning slats seemed to ballooned out and a large section of awning came out and was flapping. We stopped a rerolled the awning, got under way and it happened again. I duct taped the awning and got home to Seattle . I see that A&E Systems still make this slatted awning, I am thinking of putting a hose clamp on for long trips . Has anyone have this problem and is there a cure.
Thank you Bob & Rita Bazley
toadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
paz

toadog, welcome to iRV2.

I'm not familiar with the type of slatted awning you refer to, but the problem with awnings unfurling comes about mainly because the pawl that you flip to roll the awning in and out becomes worn and will not reliably prevent the roller tube from unrolling when air gets up under the awning. This can happen even though the awning is completely rolled up and the support arms are tightly locked up against the side of the coach.

There are a number of awning locks available, including some homemade versions, that prevent the main tube from unrolling. HERE is one version that uses a spring-loaded pin. If you Google "RV awning lock," you will find more.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Paz,
Thanks for the reply,I never thought of the locking part. I was going down the highway at 60. The slates are made of medal and look a little puffed out in the middle. I will look at the locking part.
Thanks Bob
toadog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning