Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2011, 09:17 AM   #1

Problem with Freedom 458 inverter/charger

The 4 6 volt house batteries checked out after removal, overnight charging, and testing with hydrometer. Put them back in the coach, started the generator and the control panel shows the batteries are low and when the charger is on after about 5 minutes, it shows battery over heating. At the same time, all the 120 volt outlets in the coach that are tied into the inverter go off, even though the generator is running. There is no indication that the inverter is on, and if I turn the charger off after several minutes, the 120 volt outlets come back on. This also happens when on camp ground power. Any ideas??? Thanks, DACOTAH
Dacotah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2011, 03:05 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
One problem sounds like the fan inside the inverter is not operating keeping temperature down. Make sure the fan comes on. If not you can buy one from electronics type store and replace it yourself if you feel comfortable doing so. BTW it is a 12VDC fan motor.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:16 AM   #3

RV Wizard, thanks for the tip. I did check the fan and it is operating. The biggest puzzle is why does this turn off the 120 volt receptacles that are tied into the inverter even though the inverter is off? The circuit breaker in the 120 volt panel has never tripped; it is the same breaker that powers the inverter. Any ideas?? Thanks, DACOTAH
Old 03-12-2011, 03:42 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
When the inverter is not being used the power should "pass through" to the loads. When the unit gets too hot it sounds like the internal transfer switch in the inverter is opening. Have you tried blowing all the dust and dirt out of it? Have you thought about trying it with new batteries? How old are you present ones? What specific gravity did you record on the 12 cells?
Old 03-12-2011, 06:47 AM   #5

RV Wizard, thanks again!! The batteries are about 2 years old. Last week I removed them from the coach, did an overnight charge with my portable 3 stage charger, checked charge state with the hydrometer, and load tested them. they all were 100% charged in good condition. I cleaned all connections, even the large fuse ones and reinstalled. I think your idea of cleaning out the dust is a good next step. I will have time next week to take the case off and clean and inspect circuit boards. This coach did not have the best care before we bought it 4 months ago and I have been correcting lots of problems. I will report back my findings. If the inverter needs a re-build, where do I send it? We live in South Florida, is there a Heart shop in this area? Thanks again. DACOTAH
Old 03-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #6

Update..... I took the cover off the inverter/charger and it was not dirty, no indication of a fried part on the circuit board. Took a 90 mile trip and the inverter stopped passing 120 volts in the first 10 minutes of operation of the generator. Got to the campground and opened the inverter compartment and noticed no way for air to circulate with the upper shelf directly over the inverter. Removed the shelf, left the door open and everything was fine for 3 days in the campground. When we left within 10 minutes of operation 120 volt circuits gone again. The compartment is virtually air tight when closed so maybe this is causing the overheating. Next week I will pull the inverter and take to the Heart Interface shop only 10 miles away and have them check it out. Since the coach is 10 years old, the former owner would have had problems with the sealed compartment, but there is no mention of this in all the service records left behind. DACOTAH
Old 03-19-2011, 02:21 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If the previous owner never used the inverter while traveling he would have never know of the problem and if he never let his battery bank get low on charge he would never know of the problem. I took it for granted (violation of rule #1) that the compartment was vented. Get some good ventilation cut into the compartment and be mindful of keeping as much dirt and all water out when traveling. Glad you found the problem and keep us posted.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:51 AM   #8

RV Wizard, thanks again for following my problem with good advice. I'm thinking of cutting a vent in the top of the compartment over the inverter and another one one the right side facing the rear of the coach. The compartment is roto-molded heavy plastic with a rubber gasket door seal. there is clearance between the top and the floor of the coach so hot air could escape out the top. I will put louvered furnace vents over the cutouts and report back to you. DACOTAH
Old 03-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #9

More ifo on inverter/charger

I took the unit to the Xantrex shop and the technician tested it and found no problems. I explained the air tight compartment problem and he agreed with cutting in some vents being careful to not allow moisture in. He also set the fan control temperature lower so the fan will come on sooner. He also explained the power share feature which can affect the temperature of the unit. He said to set it at 15 amps and the unit will not put maximum amperage to the charger which can cause it to overheat. He also said these older units use a battery temperature probe attached to the battery terminal and these can cause an overly high reading. We are switching to the new one that attaches to the side of the battery case and is much more accurate. I have learned a lot about a system that I was not familiar with. I hope this will help others and will report back after cutting in the vents next week. DACOTAH
Old 03-26-2011, 02:28 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks for the update. Keep us posted.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotah View Post
I took the unit to the Xantrex shop and the technician tested it and found no problems. I explained the air tight compartment problem and he agreed with cutting in some vents being careful to not allow moisture in. He also set the fan control temperature lower so the fan will come on sooner. He also explained the power share feature which can affect the temperature of the unit. He said to set it at 15 amps and the unit will not put maximum amperage to the charger which can cause it to overheat. He also said these older units use a battery temperature probe attached to the battery terminal and these can cause an overly high reading. We are switching to the new one that attaches to the side of the battery case and is much more accurate. I have learned a lot about a system that I was not familiar with. I hope this will help others and will report back after cutting in the vents next week. DACOTAH
The default setting for the Freedom 458 Inverter/Charger is 70 degrees F, with the acceptance charge rate of 14.4 volts and a float rate charge of 13.5 volts. By simply removing the remote heat sensor from the front panel of your charger you can achieve these settings. This info is contained in the operations manual.
bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:07 PM   #12

Well, the vents are cut in; one on the rear wall next to the fan and one on the side wall facing the back of the coach. the new sensor is installed on the side of one of the batteries and so far everything seems to be working. next week we take a 3 day short trip to give the system a real test. Thanks for everyones help on this problem. Bob109, the technician told me the system would work better with the temp. sensor installed so I did not try it disconected, but if there is trouble next week I will pull it and see what happens. DACOTAH