Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2021, 07:04 PM   #1

Problem With Onan Generator

I have a Onan 4000. I’ve changed the fuel pump, fuel filter and spark plug, took the carburetor apart and clean it well, it still shuts off under load ( a/c and water pump can’t run at the same time) the air will stay on for bout and hour and the gen will shut off any suggestions?
Joshj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2021, 04:57 AM   #2

Go to the Onan site and pull up the booklet for your generator model. In it will be a page that explains the blinking light codes which occur on the starter switch. The code will tell you where to start looking for answers to your problem.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshj View Post
I have a Onan 4000
Which Onan 4000 and spec? (For example, Model 4KYFA26100B is a 4 KY, Spec B.)

Different spec 4K's will have different troubleshooting procedures.
whybother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 02:53 PM   #4

The model number is 4bgefa26101n
Old 05-06-2021, 02:55 PM   #5

This one does not have the light on the start button
Old 05-06-2021, 03:32 PM   #6

Quote:
The model number is 4bgefa26101n
I think this is the service manual for it:
https://onan.xmsi.net/965-0528%20Ona...0(09-1994).pdf
And:
https://onan.xmsi.net/965-0528%20Ona...0(11-1995).pdf

I'm not too familiar with the 4BGE, but when it's running, does it seem like it's running rough? Bad fuel mixture?
Old 05-06-2021, 05:41 PM   #7

It seems to be running pretty smooth when it’s running.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:46 PM   #8

I’m curious if it has something to do with the governor rod, it seems to be a little stiff to me, idk how stiff it supposed to be or if that has anything to do with it when I put a load on it
Old 05-07-2021, 09:02 AM   #9

Quote:
a/c and water pump can’t run at the same time
Isn't the water pump DC? It seems strange that a DC item would be the thing to push it over the edge.

But, if the genset gets to a low AC voltage or frequency condition, I'm pretty sure it'll shut off -- and weak spark, running too lean/rich, etc., could cause the engine to not have enough power to keep up with demand, so double check your air filter, ignition coil, plug wires, fuel mixture, spark plug gap, ignition timing, make sure the choke isn't sticking, etc. Oher things to check would be oil pressure switch, oil filter, oil level, etc.

Check the AC voltage and frequency while running various AC appliances. Does the engine sound like it's struggling with higher AC load? Does the AC voltage and/or frequency go out of whack?

Does it start right back up after shutting off?
Old 05-07-2021, 09:55 AM   #10

If it was the governor or any rods and linkage to it, it wouldn't run an hour and then die out.

How did you clean the carb ? Did you find the main jet ( brass thing with tiny hole in it, up the main passage ) and clean that ?

I take a 14 gauge stranded wire, strip two inchs of insulation off it and use it like a tiny brush, up thru the jet.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:07 PM   #11

Yea, it will start right back up after shutting off, and it will still run the AC after starting back up,
Old 05-07-2021, 01:08 PM   #12

That’s how I cleaned the main jet and then blew some carb cleaner through it
Old 05-07-2021, 02:32 PM   #13

Some people have reported that the dipstick is not correct on the Onan 4000. If you have oil up to the full line, I've seen folks say it will overheat the oil and cause it to shut down. The solution I've seen is to just fill it to about a quarter inch above the add line. I keep mine right in between the add in full line, and it doesn't shut down.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:35 PM   #14

Thanks for all the help, input and info. My brother works on generators in the military and I had him look at it, he said the governor was sticking and not letting enough fuel in, he took the carb and governor off clean them real good and the governor rod had been rubbing something. Put it all together and everything works just fine now

Tags
problem