Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2017, 08:28 AM   #1

Program and monitor Mean Well ENC-Series of battery chargers (e.g. ENC-120-12)

Hello all,

I want to share my current activity.

I was looking for a decent battery charger. Mean Well builts reliable and solid stuff. So I purchased one of the new ENC-series of programmable chargers. It comes in a robust metal case, is quiet (no fan), draws no current out of the battery when off - and it is going through the three charging stages accurately (microcontroller).

To alter the charging curve Mean Well sells the programmer SBP-001 (costs as much as one of the small chargers). I found a way to program the charger directly via its serial interface. So there is no SBP-001 needed. You just have to hook up the charger to your PC.
Additionaly I am able to read out values for monitoring. The charger has a quite accurate voltage and current measurement builtin.

I started to write a Python script doing the programming and monitoring. Its a nice little command line utility. And it's revealing the communication protocol to others who may want to implement something similar. I will publish the script (GitHub?).

Connection to the charger is done with a USB to 3V3 TTL bridge. For example FTDI TTL-232R-3V3 (complete cable assemblies available) or one of the cheap Silicon Labs CP210x modules (around $2.00).
The command line will look something like this:
chargelog prg <comport> [-cc <constcurr>] [-cv <constvolt>] [-tc <tapercurr>] [-fv <floatvolt>] [-tcomp <tempcoeff>]
chargelog mon <comport> <logfile> [-ri <readinterv>] [-gi <graphinterv>] [-width <graphwidth>]

Attached is an example log file of the current version.

I would be glad to see if this is of interest to others.

Have fun!
Zweikeks
Attached Files
File Type: txt enc-120-12_example_log.txt (17.9 KB, 99 views)
Zweikeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2017, 04:24 AM   #2

Hi all,

I finished the script and published it on GitHub:
https://github.com/Zweikeks/meanwell...ries-chargelog

It allows to program the charging curve and to monitor/log during charging. The readings are displayed and a graph is shown from time to time.

As a Python script it should work on several platforms. It does not need graphical output (the graph is displayed with characters). So a simple terminal is enough if it is operated remotely. Instructions how to hook up the charger are given in the file header of the script.

It is working fine for me. I would be pleased if others are using it.

Best regards
Zweikeks
Zweikeks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charger, logging, monitoring