Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2021, 05:29 AM   #1

Progressive Industries EMS Fail

Mornin', all!

Couple days ago our Progressive Industries PT50X portable EMS failed with an "E8" error code (low line frequency). Also displayed "PE8", which means Previous Error. The inverter took over, and we were on battery power. What was strange, though, was the outlets on the driver's side of the coach were dead; passenger side was fine. Oh, and the circuit breakers in the coach had no affect on the power. Anyone care to venture a guess as to the reason for those two symptoms?

Anyway, I shut down the breaker on the pedestal, unplugged the EMS, and contacted the RV park office. They sent out the maintenance guy who checked the pedestal and all was well. We plugged the EMS back in and still registered the two error codes. So, the park owner's coach was right next to ours, and with the owner's permission the maintenance guy borrowed their EMS (same model, as it happened). Took a few minutes to power up, but all was OK.

I noticed the instructions for the EMS said that the "PE" code would clear/reset after disconnecting; mine didn't. Instructions said to fill out warranty claim available online for a new unit. So I did, complete with a couple of required pictures and proof of purchase. Since I got it from Amazon, I had no receipt, but was able to pull up the Amazon notification of shipment. That was May of 2020.

One hour later (!) I received an email from PI saying the claim was approved and a new one would be on its way. Very happy here, and kudos to Progressive Industries!

Cheers,
Mickey
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2021, 08:30 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
PI has always had service well beyond what many others provide.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 08:39 AM   #3
Community Moderator

We had the same issue in July on one we bought in April, they did the same for us. It took about 10 days to get a replacement, so far so good with it.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 09:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
We had the same issue in July on one we bought in April, they did the same for us. It took about 10 days to get a replacement, so far so good with it.

Did you also lose half of your electrical outlets? That's what really puzzles me, along with the circuit breakers being inactive.
Old 11-11-2021, 05:06 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I wish all companies were as customer-oriented as PI!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:19 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichaud View Post
Did you also lose half of your electrical outlets? That's what really puzzles me, along with the circuit breakers being inactive.
Lost one side of the incoming power, making one side of power box go out in the RV.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:28 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
My PI EMS was purchased in 2003 and is still working like new.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:35 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
So happy to see this thread and the response from PI. We have had similar experiences with them in the past as well.

We will not have another RV without one of their systems installed
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 02:33 PM   #9

I have had outstanding service from PI also. They replaced a portable 50 for me also and I don’t remember the error code but their warranty is for real!
Old 11-13-2021, 10:27 AM   #10

"Couple days ago our Progressive Industries PT50X portable EMS failed with an "E8" error code (low line frequency). Also displayed "PE8", which means Previous Error. The inverter took over, and we were on battery power. What was strange, though, was the outlets on the driver's side of the coach were dead; passenger side was fine. Oh, and the circuit breakers in the coach had no affect on the power. Anyone care to venture a guess as to the reason for those two symptoms?"

Of course the inverter engages when main shore power or generator power is "off". Different inverters are designed to do different things.

Possibilities:

A 120 volt inverter in a 50 amp 240 volt system will only power one leg of the 50 amp 240 volt system.

The inverter may not have enough capacity supply all appliances, so the inverter may be wired to a limited set of outlets.

An RV EMS may load shed when the inverter can't keep up with the load.

I wish you good luck and happy trials ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 03:48 PM   #11

Well, that was fast! UPS just delivered the replacement EMS. Thanks, Progressive Industries!
Old 11-13-2021, 03:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
"Couple days ago our Progressive Industries PT50X portable EMS failed with an "E8" error code (low line frequency). Also displayed "PE8", which means Previous Error. The inverter took over, and we were on battery power. What was strange, though, was the outlets on the driver's side of the coach were dead; passenger side was fine. Oh, and the circuit breakers in the coach had no affect on the power. Anyone care to venture a guess as to the reason for those two symptoms?"

Of course the inverter engages when main shore power or generator power is "off". Different inverters are designed to do different things.

Possibilities:

A 120 volt inverter in a 50 amp 240 volt system will only power one leg of the 50 amp 240 volt system.

The inverter may not have enough capacity supply all appliances, so the inverter may be wired to a limited set of outlets.

An RV EMS may load shed when the inverter can't keep up with the load.

I wish you good luck and happy trials ahead!

Thank you, Paul - makes sense.

So, are the circuit breakers inoperative with inverter engaged?
Old 11-14-2021, 06:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichaud View Post
Thank you, Paul - makes sense.

So, are the circuit breakers inoperative with inverter engaged?
Different RV's are wired differently. Breakers that are not powered by the inverter will switch, but there is no power to flow. Breakers that are powered by the inverter should work normally.

In some systems, the circuit breaker built into the inverter is the only output breaker. Usually these systems are small. Maybe 1500 watts or less.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 07:22 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Great company. I had one fail and it turned out to be full of water. They sent me a new one no questions asked (well I did send them pictures). Didn't even ask for the bad one back.

Tags
ems