Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2016, 12:48 PM   #1

Progressive industries smart surge suppressor ems-hw50c problems

I had a surge suppressor installed by the dealer on my new 2016 Dutch Star Coach. It worked fine for about the first 4 months then started intermittently going on and off at all times of the day and night. If i jiggle the cord it would come on only to go off again later.
I called progressive industries and spoke to Donald (not the duck i think) who wanted me to trouble shoot the 240 volt wires behind the cord reel. At this point I had a RV Service guy with me. We both went thru the trouble shooting routine that Donald said has been done by little old ladies. I wonder if many lived after using the multi meter on 240 volts lines as directed by Donald.
I was told that it was required to do this before they would authorize or pay for a service tech and even though they thought it was their problem and offered to replace the board, with some reluctance, they would not pay freight or for service.
Donald hung up on me after I asked if they had concerns about liability since they would not pay until the customer went through the trouble shooting steps.
End of this story is im ripping their panel out and putting in a unit that plugs into the post. I have to pay for everything I guess because i bought their defective product.
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2016, 01:16 PM   #2

Interesting, I am replying to this thread as I'm interested to hear where this discussion will head.
I have have the same unit for about four years and it has worked as advertised. The only time it acted as you describe is when there was a low voltage condition for various reasons.
Your post is certainly contrary to what I have read about this product and the company, Progressive.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:49 PM   #3

Why not go back to the dealer who did the install?? BTW I have heard nothing but good about PI.
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:06 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry to hear about your opinion of the Progressive Industries product that you had your dealer install. 99.99% of the people who have purchased PI products have had excellent service from the products plus have had excellent customer service from the staff. I guess you are in the .01% of the dissatisfied people.

If it were me I would go back to the dealer and let them find out what may have gone wrong since they are the ones to last handle the device.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:10 PM   #5

"If i jiggle the cord it would come on only to go off again later."
This is the place to start. One poor connection at install time.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:56 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
"If i jiggle the cord it would come on only to go off again later."
This is the place to start. One poor connection at install time.

Agree. The place to start is by tightening all the connections (with power off).

And sorry to hear of negative experience with PI. Usually good comments.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:54 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
This sounds more like an installation problem than a product issue. I have had a PI in my coach for 6 years, problem free.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:54 AM   #8

I've have the same PI Surge protector for 2 years and no problem at all.Very happy with it and I did the installation myself. The only problem I had which is not a problem is that I went to 2 sites where the amps were low and the surge protector kept tripping off. Like I said it was doing it's job. Inside the unit there is a wire that is not connected and this wire is used to by-pass the protection of the unit. If you call PI and have a problem with the unit and all test done doen't work they will tell you to connect this until you get to a place where you can take it out and send it for service. By doing this is the same as not having a surge protector. I installed a switch on the side of it and for those 2 times I was taking the chance that if I caused damage to anything in the MH because of low voltage it was my bad.
I second that it might be a loose connection as when you move wire it's good but not for long
High Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:25 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Have the hard wired (by myself) 50 amp. No power going thru. Progresseve walked me thru steps for trouble shooting. The motherboard was bad. Led me thru by-passing so I had power to RV. Sent board back, received replacement, all good. Never wil have anything but a Progressive (not insurance) Surge Protector. Great company and assistance when needed!!!
Old 01-26-2016, 07:18 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by judgebobk View Post

I bought their defective product.
If their product is truly defective then send it back to them to fix the problem as they are guaranteed for lifetime and that doesn't mean just to the original purchaser BUT means that any device they sell has a Lifetime Warranty no matter who owns it now.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-26-2016, 07:28 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Island Mac View Post
Have the hard wired (by myself) 50 amp. No power going thru. Progresseve walked me thru steps for trouble shooting. The motherboard was bad. Led me thru by-passing so I had power to RV. Sent board back, received replacement, all good. Never wil have anything but a Progressive (not insurance) Surge Protector. Great company and assistance when needed!!!
We had the exact same problem/experience - excellent service.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:29 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Mine has worked perfectly for 13 years.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:52 AM   #13

Agree--my PI product has performed flawlessly since install, except for a mother board issue ten years in. Over the phone diagnosis with Donald was professional and solved the issue. Takes two to communicate--sounds like someone wasnt participating. Good luck finding a better product or customer service......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:06 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I use to teach customer service techniques and found that some people are never pleased no matter what you attempt to do for them.

They get it embedded in their heads that your product is a POS no matter what you try to tell them. When that happens it's best to remain silent and let the customer vent and when finished show them the door.

He won't find a better product, customer service or product warranty nowhere. But it is his money, his RV and his choice.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Tags
ems, problems