Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2021, 07:35 PM   #1

Propane Connection to Furnace

I don't see any flexible gas connectors in my motorhome. Fleetwood ran soft copper all the way to the furnace I am replacing. The new furnace that I am installing has the gas connection on top instead of the side, that was on the original furnace. I don't like bending this soft copper into short bends - I'm concerned about mild kinks in the line that are resulting. I'm assuming it must be against mh codes to use flexible propane connectors like you would see in a home application. I attached a couple of pictures of my project. Any feed back on the use of flexible connectors?

Thanks
Ron Everson
Cortez, Colorado
2003 Fleetwood Bounder 37U
Freightliner XC chassis with Cummins 300 ISB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	furnace installation 2.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	333254   Click image for larger version

Name:	furnace installation 1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	333255  

Ron Everson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2021, 08:15 PM   #2

Longer piece of soft copper tubing with a gentle sweep

Flex lines are great for allowing one to pull/install an appliance but I personally wouldn't trust one to vibration/bouncing that goes on with an RV
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:08 AM   #3

Is the black plug the location of the gas connection in the furnace? If so, you can install a threaded brass nipple and an elbow, if necessary, to bring the connection to a place where the tubing can be gently bent to attach. You will need to add a flare adapter to the nipple.

I'm sure you noticed the kink that is already in the gas line. Might be a good idea to simply remove it and start again with a new, longer copper tube.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Is the black plug the location of the gas connection in the furnace? If so, you can install a threaded brass nipple and an elbow, if necessary, to bring the connection to a place where the tubing can be gently bent to attach. You will need to add a flare adapter to the nipple.

I'm sure you noticed the kink that is already in the gas line. Might be a good idea to simply remove it and start again with a new, longer copper tube.
Good choice above. I used a 90 degree fitting to limit bending of soft copper when I upgraded my gas cook top. It provides a much more solid, stable solution.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:24 AM   #5

As a mobile RV tech, I suggest the following.
Since the copper line is now damaged, I would cut the line back below the kink and reflare it. I would add a gas union and the purchase a 24-inch rubber hose with female ends made for LP use. Makes for a nice installation.
A1RVTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1RVTraveler View Post
As a mobile RV tech, I suggest the following.
Since the copper line is now damaged, I would cut the line back below the kink and reflare it. I would add a gas union and the purchase a 24-inch rubber hose with female ends made for LP use. Makes for a nice installation.
Good idea! Reminds me of the rubber hose that connected my propane catalytic heater to the 20# bottle that rode in the camper shell on the back of my 77 Ford pickup for 20 years. It took a beating and never leaked. My local hardware stores don't carry the rubber propane connectors, so I'll have to visist my propane dealer.

I certainly appreciate the advice. Thanks.

Ron Everson
Old 06-28-2021, 09:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Good choice above. I used a 90 degree fitting to limit bending of soft copper when I upgraded my gas cook top. It provides a much more solid, stable solution.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Unfortunately, I would have to stack adaptors in order to extend the line up & out where a 90 could be attached. Don't want to cut a hole in the side of the furnace for propane access.

Thanks, Ron Everson.
Old 07-02-2021, 01:50 PM   #8

furnace replacement - final

Here's the finished installation of my new furnace. Note the rubber hose connecting the propane. Now to put back the plywood panels and the kitchen range. I did find that the original duct connections on the left were so sharply bent that the air flow was constricted. I cut away some of the cabinet wood to relieve that. Now I'll see the flexible duct bends under the sink, but that's ok.

Ron Everson
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	furnace installation complete 1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	334472   Click image for larger version

Name:	furnace installation complete 2.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	334473  

Old 07-02-2021, 07:42 PM   #9

It looks like a professional did it. Nice Job, no shortcuts.
A1RVTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:50 PM   #10

Nice!

Must better then that kinked copper tubing

Might want to tie back that LP Hose so it doesn't rub against the wood frame. Hate to have a leak later on down the road
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 10:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Nice!

Must better then that kinked copper tubing

Might want to tie back that LP Hose so it doesn't rub against the wood frame. Hate to have a leak later on down the road
Agree^^.

Anything to separate the rubber hose from contact with the wood framing is important, IMO. There will be constant vibration of that hose while driving and chaffing is almost inevitable.

Small sections of foam pipe insulation in the areas of contact may work just fine.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 11:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Agree^^.

Anything to separate the rubber hose from contact with the wood framing is important, IMO. There will be constant vibration of that hose while driving and chaffing is almost inevitable.

Small sections of foam pipe insulation in the areas of contact may work just fine.
Exactly what I did - thick foam pipe insulation. When I put back the small sheet of paneling that separated the plastic drain line and gas hose from the back of the stove, I added a piece of thick foam pipe insulation to the gas hose to cushion it's contact with the wood panel. Hadn't thought of tieing it off to something. I've used pipe insulation elsewhere in the mh to prevent problems from water lines rubbing against sharp wood edges.

Thanks, Ron Everson.

Tags
furnace, propane, ace