Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2021, 04:02 PM   #1

Propane connection to splice into line on MH?

We want to use the propane on our motorhome for our portable firepit. What type of connector will we need to splice a quick connector in the existing propane line on our motorhome? Also, it appears that the maximum propane hose from the MH to the firepit shouldn't exceed 20ft due to lack of pressure, correct?

Thanks,
Robert
RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2021, 04:09 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
I installed an Extend-A-Stay kit on my tank to use for a fire pit or grill. I did change the location of the connections on the kit and added a shut off valve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LP-Connection.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	327327   Click image for larger version

Name:	LP-ExtendAStay.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	327328  

Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:19 PM   #3

The photo posted by Lt Dan doesn't really show the standard Extend-A-Stay install and can be confusing if you're not familiar with the process. The standard installation puts the Extend-A-Stay between your tank and your existing regulator which, depending on your current installation will need relocation and/or mounting reinforcement. Here's a video on the installation process:

https://www.google.com/search?q=exte...K0PEPxOWYiA813

And here are some additional instructions:

Installing a Camco 59123 4 port brass tee (Extend-A-Stay).

Not only will the Extend-A-Stay allow you to hook up a portable fire pit or BBQ (provided they have their own regulator), you can attach a standard propane tank to your RV in case your main tank runs low. In fact, the auxiliary tank function is the primary purpose of the Extend-A-Stay.
Old 05-06-2021, 03:53 PM   #4

Quote:
... In fact, the auxiliary tank function is the primary purpose of the Extend-A-Stay.
Hence the name "Extend-A-Stay" and not "Extend-A-Grill"
Old 05-06-2021, 04:48 PM   #5

..joking aside. I have a TT and I cant find any videos showing how to install on a dual tank system. I suppose its not really the niche for the extend-a-stay, on a dual tank TT you can just take a bottle off and go fill it, where as it seems that many coaches have the P tanks mounted in place.

My TT was marketed with "a full size bbq hookup right off of your propane tanks."
When I bought the TT I did not find "the full size bbq hookup" but I did find docs for an "extend-a-stay" mixed in with the paperwork, so I presume that's what it was..
Old 05-06-2021, 05:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheat View Post
..joking aside. I have a TT and I cant find any videos showing how to install on a dual tank system. I suppose its not really the niche for the extend-a-stay, on a dual tank TT you can just take a bottle off and go fill it, where as it seems that many coaches have the P tanks mounted in place.

My TT was marketed with "a full size bbq hookup right off of your propane tanks."
When I bought the TT I did not find "the full size bbq hookup" but I did find docs for an "extend-a-stay" mixed in with the paperwork, so I presume that's what it was..
doh, now that I think about it.. I could just disconnect one of the tanks from the dual tank system and attach my full sized bbq (bbq with a regulator) to the tank, just like I do at home.. but where's the fun in that?
Old 05-06-2021, 06:26 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
The photo posted by Lt Dan doesn't really show the standard Extend-A-Stay install and can be confusing if you're not familiar with the process. The standard installation puts the Extend-A-Stay between your tank and your existing regulator which, depending on your current installation will need relocation and/or mounting reinforcement.
Actually, that is between the tank and the regulator. I just swapped the regulator output and grill output connections locations to better fit my layout. They are just threaded into the connector block with standard NPT connections.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane