Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2015, 06:51 PM   #1
KC

Propane Grill Question

Some of the RV’s we have been looking at have low pressure (regulated) propane quick coupling. The smaller RV’s we are looking at have limited exterior storage so I have been looking at small propane grills, but all of them have regulators on them. Is there any way to retrofit these propane grill with a regulator to work with the quick connect propane hose?

Thanks

KC
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2015, 07:23 PM   #2

I did by buying a Camco quick connect male fitting, cutting the regulator off and then going to the hardware store to find the hardware needed to connect the Camco quick connect fitting to the hose. It works great.
PostMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:14 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Here's how I hooked up my Weber Q Grill. Here are the parts I purchased:

1. A "pigtail" and a 12' quick connect extension hose ( http://www.gashosesandregulators.com/images/100395combo.jpg )
2. A 1/4" FIP to 3/8" Flare adaptor ( Buy 3/8" Flare x 1/4" FIP Brass Adapter )
3. A 1/8" to 1/4" Brass Pipe Bushing ( http://www.warrenpipe.com/hardware-store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=20155 )

Step #1: I removed the regulator from the Weber Q Grill (which left a 1/8" male threaded pipe end)
Step #2: I screwed the 1/8" to 1/4" brass pipe bushing onto the 1/8" male threaded pipe end on the Q grill
Step #3: I screwed the 1/4" FIP to 3/8" flare adaptor onto the 1/4" brass pipe bushing.
Step #4: I screwed the 3/8" flare nut end of the "Pigtail" onto the 3/8" flare adaptor.
Step #5: Ran the 12' quick connect extension hose from the quick connect value on the coach to the quick connect end of the pigtail.

Of course - each "screwed on" brass fitting joint needed to have a little "pipe dope" to do it right.

The 3 brass fittings and the pigtail are "permanently" installed on the grill. Future use simply requires running the 12' extension hose and making the connections at the two "quick connect" fittings.

The modifications worked like a charm!
Old 06-13-2015, 04:15 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes there is but I will not discuss it.

Easier to install an "Extend-a-flow" high pressure port (or whatever they make to replace it now days)

Or you can get the grill made or sold by the trailer manufacturer that uses the low pressure port and fits on brackets likely already there.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:23 AM   #5

I just bought a 25 buck grill from walmart that runs on the small bottles. Works fine and is small
Old 06-13-2015, 05:18 AM   #6
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
Some of the RV’s we have been looking at have low pressure (regulated) propane quick coupling. The smaller RV’s we are looking at have limited exterior storage so I have been looking at small propane grills, but all of them have regulators on them. Is there any way to retrofit these propane grill with a regulator to work with the quick connect propane hose?

Thanks

KC
If the grill has the flame control valve that is separate from the regulator, chances are it also has a hose to connect it to a 20-lb or other gas tank. In that case, just take the regulator off and get a quick connect to connect the hose to the trailer coupling.

The problem is most small, inexpensive grills have the flame control valve combined with the regulator, and the reguloator/control valve connects a disposable gas bottle directly to the grill without a hose. In that case, if you eliminate the regulator, you then need to add a hose and flame control valve. By the time you buy all that, it's probably easier to just add an Extend-A-Flow or other high pressure adapter Tee and hose as wa8yxm suggests.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:56 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I did just what SpaceNorman did to my Weber Q Grill. Not having to carry extra propane bottles is a plus as they can be dangerous. We already have all the propane needed with the coach. I also would not like having a HIGH pressure hose hooked up and being stepped on or kicked. The pressure can get well over 100# on a hot day. The low pressure hose only has 1/2# pressure in it.

Dave

Tags
propane