Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2015, 05:59 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Perhaps I worded my response vaguely, but of course I mean at each gas appliance on/off switch, not the valve at the LP tank. Yes, the shut off of gas flow to the system would make restart difficult because any air introduced would have to bleed off first.

Generally speaking the simplest way to purge the system of air is to use the highest capacity burner on the stovetop. Hold a lit long-nosed BBQ lighter next to the burner and open the valve. It will be enough flow to fairly quickly purge the air and get gas down the lines.

The fridge usually takes a little time longer, but the furnace and w/h will light almost instantly after the above procedure.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2015, 07:26 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Perhaps I worded my response vaguely, but of course I mean at each gas appliance on/off switch, not the valve at the LP tank. Yes, the shut off of gas flow to the system would make restart difficult because any air introduced would have to bleed off first.
BFlinn181
I agree that each individual gas appliance in an RV should be turned off while fueling the coach... or the attached toad... or the tow vehicle.
However, the supply valve, (or valves), on an "on board LP tank" should also be closed whenever propane is being added to the tank...(my 35 gal LP tank has 2 valves, 1 for the vapor to the appliances.. and 1 for the liquid propane for my LP generator).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:41 AM   #45

Gulf Streamers Club
Jeepers, let's all chip in with our expert opinion of LP safety. New Jersey doesn't allow you to pump your own gasoline, are there places that allow pumping own LP? I watch when filling and every attendant has always turned off valve at the regulator before filling.

Purging is also pretty obvious, if you shut off main tank or opened up the gas lines.

Bottom line, care in using LP gas is no more dangerous than using gasoline, diesel or coal. (watch out for coal dust!)

I use refrigerator on LP when traveling because I don't have extension cords long enough to reach back home. Generator only runs in motion when we need A/C.

I usually don't use the water heater, it heats pretty fast so we turn it on an hour or so before hot water is needed. I don't see the reason to keep it hot 24/7 since no one is going to shower or wash dishes while in motion or asleep.

The furnace runs if needed, stopped or in motion.

I know there are tunnels and bridges that require LP turned off if transiting, but they are rare and I don't often encounter those restrictions. I still say properly maintained LP appliances can be operated safely and with proper human behaviors can be used while in motion.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:46 AM   #46

Ford Super Duty Owner
Having HOT water while traveling using the engine cooling system has been a WBGO way for many, many years and I believe it is standard on all their coaches. It was also a good selling point. At least when we ordered our 2014 Vista 30-T there was no discussion about do we want it added or not. Back in the mid 70's we traveled with a friend in his WBGO from MI to CO and his coach had it.
We don't use it often but in years past I have taken a quick shower while moving. These days I'm the only driver so that's won't happen. However if we stop for lunch we do have hot water for any dishes, cleaning or washing that we needed to do. When I say HOT water I mean it is HOT.

It's also very nice when we have to hit a Wal-Mart lot for a quick sleep I can shower if needed and don't have to use the propane.

TeJay
Old 01-14-2015, 07:59 AM   #47

Strange about warnings on products because of lawyers. Back in 1955 my four year old brother fell on a wood pencil and it went thru his heart and lung and killed him. Still no warnings on wood pencils!!
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:06 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Having HOT water while traveling using the engine cooling system has been a WBGO way for many, many years and I believe it is standard on all their coaches. It was also a good selling point. At least when we ordered our 2014 Vista 30-T there was no discussion about do we want it added or not. Back in the mid 70's we traveled with a friend in his WBGO from MI to CO and his coach had it.
We don't use it often but in years past I have taken a quick shower while moving. These days I'm the only driver so that's won't happen. However if we stop for lunch we do have hot water for any dishes, cleaning or washing that we needed to do. When I say HOT water I mean it is HOT.
It's also very nice when we have to hit a Wal-Mart lot for a quick sleep I can shower if needed and don't have to use the propane.
TeJay
TeJAY
WBGO?
I assume you mean Winnebago?
Mel
'96 SFI, (aka: Safari)
Old 01-14-2015, 08:31 AM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
I leave my propane turned on all the time except when it's being filled.
The propane runs my fridge going down the road. I have a 2011 Itasca Sunova 37L. We use our coach year round. With our unit we have the system which heats our hot water going down the road. It is a awesome feature to not have to wait for warm water when stopping. ( the dogs like warm water on their food)
Also our coach has coach heat which heats the rear of the coach going down the road. Another great feature as I know several people that have to run their furnace for heat during the winter months.
Sure saves on the propane use. With that being said I still wish it had a larger propane tank.

Travel safe & happy camping.

Janet Watson & the Great Danes
2011 Itasca Sunova 37l
Sunova37L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:08 PM   #50

I always leave propane on when traveling for the frig and heat if we need it. And, I always turn frig and heat off when fueling. I do not turn valve off at the propane tank but I figure if I eliminate any type of on-board flame it doesn't really matter. There are plenty of fumes at the truck stop anyway. Just don't want the flames. Flames and fumes definitely are not friendly.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:26 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
I always leave propane on when traveling for the frig and heat if we need it. And, I always turn frig and heat off when fueling. I do not turn valve off at the propane tank but I figure if I eliminate any type of on-board flame it doesn't really matter. There are plenty of fumes at the truck stop anyway. Just don't want the flames. Flames and fumes definitely are not friendly.
Don
Don
Don't you turn the vapor output valve on the tank OFF before you have the LPG tank fueled/filled?
Not all "propane pump jockeys" know that that's the "proper procedure" when filling the ASME tanks used on motorhomes....(some don't even know enough to open the "80% full liquid level valve")!
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-14-2015, 05:09 PM   #52

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post

Don
We do the same thing, for the same reason. I don't turn it off while fueling, since our TV is a diesel. Diesel fuel is combustible, not flammable like gas. There's zero chance of diesel fumes being ignited. While towing, I always stay away from car/gas lanes and fuel in the diesel/RV lanes.

I wouldn't recommend trying this, but it shows the difference between gas and diesel.

http://youtu.be/3LeRSPuA5Z4
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:02 AM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
It's very, very simple: Lawyers, WAY, WAY to many lawyers trying to make a fast buck.

What ever happened to, "Taking responsibility for one's actions?" I guess that went out with the LIBERAL revolution. You also can't legislate away STUPIDITY.

Lets see:
I ate bugs and dirt but made it to adulthood.
I ran with scissors in my hands and still have both eyes.
I gave myself insulin shots for 20 years and checked my blood sugar (6-8 X's a day) for 30 years. I NEVER, never specifically washed or wiped with an alcohol swab. I used the same lancet (4-5 months) in my BG machine and I used the same insulin needle for three months or more or until it got dull. I never, never, never got an infection. Maybe I was just lucky, but for 30 years?? !!!!

One can go overboard with this stuff. Just use the common sense that God gave you and let it go at that!!!!!
X-2
FMCA F438950
AUPOP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane