Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2022, 03:27 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Propane tank gauge

We have a 12 gallon propane tank like the one in the link below. The gauge is all over the map and has no consistency. I know there is a float inside the tank that operates the gauge but not sure if the problem is the float mechanism or just the gauge. My question is can you replace the gauge while the tank has propane? I thought I would swap the gauge first before purchasing a new tank and see if that fixes the problem. Just in case you are wondering why I even care here is what happened yesterday:

https://tinyurl.com/yame5om5

Tank reading sitting level in campsite is 33% via SeeLevel and tank holds 9.2 gallons so estimated fill should be 6 gallons.

Move RV and connect toad and now the reading is 13 % and the gauge on the tank say Empty. So recalculate and estimate fill should be 8 gallons.

Get to propane filling station and now the reading is 19 % and fill should be 7.5 gallons.

Get the tank filled and it actually tanks 5.2 gallons.

Being an OCD engineer this drive me crazy.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2022, 03:41 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
well after seeing the pic, as for it to show amt it has to have the pressure , i would say replacing should be done when empty or your loosing what's inside. Some of what you said makes sense but then actual fill/readings are off. But with the % that don't get put in does come into play. I would just go by what is actual amt in tank, Or run it dry with replacement in hand.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:19 AM   #3

It looks like the guage on my tank, which just clips on and is magnetic. It clips on over a non-magnetic alloy plug, and operates via magnets, not by a physical connection to the float. You can remove it whether the tank is full, or empty, you're not going to lose pressure.

It's a bit tricky to get the clips off, so I made this little pry tool (below) out of a bracket I had lying around.

I was getting wildly different readings on the gauge compared to the control panel, and replaced mine. They still don't read exactly the same, but now they're a lot closer. I think the gauge on your tank is more accurate, and the display on your inside panel is just a guesstimate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220119_060237.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	354220
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:05 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
These level gauges are not that accurate... much like the level gauges for your fuel level. I never expected much more than an idea of the level being close to full or close to empty.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 03:55 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
These level gauges are not that accurate... much like the level gauges for your fuel level. I never expected much more than an idea of the level being close to full or close to empty.

Ken
A float is a float and if the vehicle is not in motion the float should be at a consistent level suspended in the liquid. I was aware that the coupling between the float and the gauge was by a magnet but just wanted to make sure before I removed the gauge. Tap4154 has given me the courage to replace the gauge. I am not sure this will improve the consistency of the readings but it's worth a shot.

For those that may be wondering I have added the SeeLevel tank gauge system with Bluetooth monitoring to our RV. I never look at the funky LED level indicators. I have installed the SeeLevel system on just about every RV we have owned. We love the new Bluetooth version and I am constantly looking at my phone to monitor the tanks. We calibrated the propane portion by having the tank filled until a hard shut off by the internal overfill valve and then followed the calibration procedure for the SeeLevel.

Bob
Old 01-20-2022, 07:29 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you want an additional read out on the tank level, look at the Mopeka level sensors. They can be used on certain horizontal tanks as well as vertical tanks. I have them on my 40# tanks on the trailer and they work well.

https://tweetys.com/tank-check-024-1...YaAgJ7EALw_wcB
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
A float is a float and if the vehicle is not in motion the float should be at a consistent level suspended in the liquid. I was aware that the coupling between the float and the gauge was by a magnet but just wanted to make sure before I removed the gauge. Tap4154 has given me the courage to replace the gauge. I am not sure this will improve the consistency of the readings but it's worth a shot.

For those that may be wondering I have added the SeeLevel tank gauge system with Bluetooth monitoring to our RV. I never look at the funky LED level indicators. I have installed the SeeLevel system on just about every RV we have owned. We love the new Bluetooth version and I am constantly looking at my phone to monitor the tanks. We calibrated the propane portion by having the tank filled until a hard shut off by the internal overfill valve and then followed the calibration procedure for the SeeLevel.

Bob
I don't worry much about the LED monitor not being perfect. Before I put the new gauge on the tank I used a magnet to rotate it, and saw that it was very close to the reading to the 5 LED panel. In fact right now the LED panel reads 1/2 full, and the tank gauge is between 1/2 and 1/3 full. Once it gets about to 1/3 on the tank gauge, the LED will begin reading 1/4 full, so in a way seeing 1/4 on the interior LED panel will give me fair warning, while I'll still have 1/3 of a tank. Plus it only takes a second to open the LP door and check the tank gauge.

But I understand your obsession. A nephew of mine is a great engineer, and these kind of things drive him crazy as well. I've always been a bit OCD, but over the years have let go of needing things to being perfect.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 03:17 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
If you want an additional read out on the tank level, look at the Mopeka level sensors. They can be used on certain horizontal tanks as well as vertical tanks. I have them on my 40# tanks on the trailer and they work well.

https://tweetys.com/tank-check-024-1...YaAgJ7EALw_wcB
Thanks for the link. Very interesting and I had not seen that.

Bob

Tags
propane, tank