Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2014, 03:52 PM   #1

Propane Tank Size Change?

Was wondering if it possible/feasible to change the size of the propane tank in their MH? I have a 38 gallon tank currently and wondered if there are options to get a bigger one. My compartment is way oversized for the 38 gallon tank. I would think a 50 gallon tank would fit but don't know what sizes are available. A 50 gallon or so would give us a little longer use.

I fulltime and am currently in Wyoming and it's quite cold. I've called the only two propane suppliers in the area and they have no external tanks (120 gallons) available otherwise I'd hook up an external tank. Needless to say, our current tank only lasts about a week then we have to disconnect, slides in, and drive to the local fill station. A real PITA...

Any thoughts?
sctdixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2014, 04:12 PM   #2
KIX

Based on using a 38 gal tank to empty in a week, you are using about 4+ gals. per day. If the usage is constant you would get two more days out of a 50 gal tank. They only fill them to 80% of the water capacity (w.c.). IMHO it would not be worth the expense of changing tanks. You would also add another approx. 75 lbs to the mounting position of the tank.
Perhaps you could offer a dealer to pay maybe $25/per month to rent a tank from him and guarantee to buy all your propane from hi too. Maybe that would incent him to find a tank for you.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:59 AM   #3

An extend-a-stay hookup and a few 20 gallon portable tanks that you can refill at the camp office or local hardware store.

Upping to a 50 from a 38 would be expensive and may not leave the required air space around the tank to meet safety regs.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:42 PM   #4

You may or may not be able to upgrade size. Usually it's not worth it and usually not possible.
No one will come out to fill it for you?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank