RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2015, 07:22 PM   #1

Propane transfer from DOT tank to RV.

Has anybody done this trick to keep from moving your RV when your tank goes empty? It looks a little touchy. Is there a simple process? Do you invert your DOT tank to transfer liquid propane? If you transfer through the liquid port on your RV tank, how do you know when it's full? Give me the step by step if you've done this before. Thanks.
opnroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2015, 07:32 PM   #2
KIX

YOu can get a little propane into the empty tank from a DOT cylinder. BUT, as soon as the pressure on the two containers equalizes propane will stop flowing. What you propose is a pain to set up for very little gain.
If you can get an extend-a-stay kit you could hook up the DOT container as the supply to your RV system.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:53 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Staying at KOA Salome AZ. Thru The Summer, & Loving It..
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
I don't know about transferring the fuel. I believe you are asking about an adapter which lets you hook up 1 or 2 auxiliary Dot tanks (I think 30 lbs each) to your installed MH tank, by passing your tank and feeding your supply line?
If this is what you want, I found a thread a couple of months ago while searching for info on propane tanks. Of course I can't locate it now, but I think it was on the Fulltimers Site.
I will keep looking, I hope someone with more knowledge can get you better info, Good Luck.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:11 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I've not done that trick, but I do have an Extend-A-Stay that lets me hook up a portable tank to my RV system, like Bilgerat was talking about. It works very well, I've used it several times to stay longer than my RV tank would allow me to.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:15 PM   #5

Transfering fuel requires a pump.

It is how the pros do it when swapping tanks at s&b.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:36 PM   #6

A few years back, I ran out of propane in my S&B.

The service guy brought a 20 lb tank, with a short adaptor on it. He screwed it to my 100 lb tank fill port, flipped the small tank upside down, over the big tank and opened the valve.

It took a few minutes, but he dumped the propane in.

This was before the OPD valves.

They also sell adaptors to fill the 1 lb tanks, from a 20 lb tank. Kind of the same principle.

Enjoy
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:35 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I think it can be done quite easily with the proper connections. The propane will run from the area of higher pressure to the area of lower pressure. Once the tanks are open you have to do something to reduce the pressure in the big tank. Opening the bleed valve or running the fridge or stove would reduce the pressure in the main tank.

Seems to me to be one of those risky things that only should be done by qualified technicians if at all.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
A few years back, I ran out of propane in my S&B.

The service guy brought a 20 lb tank, with a short adaptor on it. He screwed it to my 100 lb tank fill port, flipped the small tank upside down, over the big tank and opened the valve.

It took a few minutes, but he dumped the propane in.

This was before the OPD valves.

They also sell adaptors to fill the 1 lb tanks, from a 20 lb tank. Kind of the same principle.

Enjoy
That's how its done. Gravity allows the liquid propane to flow into the lower tank/cylinder, tank pressure is not a concern because the gas in the lower tank/cylinder will replace the liquid in the higher tank as liquid drains into the lower one. The OPD valve is not involved in this transfer of liquid propane until it reaches the 20% point. It has a float in the tank, when the tank is upside down the float stays at the "top" of the liquid.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:32 AM   #9

Your set up might be different, but on my MH, I can remove the cover over the regulator and then unscrew the left hand POL fitting from the fixed tank (turn the fixed tank off first of course) and because of the flexible hose, this gives me enough slack to screw the POL fitting into the valve on a normal portable bottle sitting on the ground.

No special tools apart from an adjustable wrench and just as safe as connecting a portable bottle to your BBQ
Old 03-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Your set up might be different, but on my MH, I can remove the cover over the regulator and then unscrew the left hand POL fitting from the fixed tank (turn the fixed tank off first of course) and because of the flexible hose, this gives me enough slack to screw the POL fitting into the valve on a normal portable bottle sitting on the ground.

No special tools apart from an adjustable wrench and just as safe as connecting a portable bottle to your BBQ
The only issue I would have it to ensure that the fitting was firmly in place and tested for leaks when placed back on the fixed tank (especially if the tank is in a bay).

IMO one cannot be too careful when dealing with inflammable liquids and gases.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:39 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have used a Stay a While Tee made by Mr Heater for 12 years. The last time I checked it was sold by Camping World. That is where I bought mine.
Besides it and the Marshal Brass/Gas Extend a Stay there are a couple more. One by Sturgi and one by Camco. I think the Camco one is the cheapest.
The Stay a While and the Extend a Stay have some built in safety features and I assume the others do also.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:40 PM   #12

I made a transfer hose with cut off valve. I had to empty the RV tank, it was full, to replace the valve as it was leaking. I transferred all of the propane into several grill tanks. Had to borrow some from the neighbors. Once the RV tank was repaired, I transferred it back from the grill tanks to the RV tank. Worked rather well. Here is a pic

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1426117192.816704.jpg
Views:	813
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	88362
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:21 PM   #13

How did you transfer the gas?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:58 PM   #14

Why bother with the extra step of transferring the gas instead of just going with the Extend-A-Stay. Both ways you need a few to several portable tanks that you will be transporting for refilling however you skip the additional step of transferring the propane with the Extend-A-Stay which means less work/time spent on the process to me.

Also the regulation/code for refilling propane tanks in many jurisdictions is that it must be done 20 or so feet from any source of ignition which includes any breaker panels or electrical switches that are not spark proof and airtight which is not really possible in the confines of most campsites.

That is why most campgrounds will not allow a propane service to refill your tank on-site and only allows it to be done with their own certified and inspected equipment at their propane station if they have one which is usually located far away from all other facilities in the campground.

Yes it can be done but you really should not do it in a campground.

If you are setup on your own private lot then contract the local propane service to setup a 250 or 500 lb tank and provide a port to hook it up to an Extend-A-Stay connection on your RV. You can then have them make scheduled deliveries or be on-call.

Tags
propane, tank