Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2022, 08:59 AM   #1

protective coating for a/c shrouds

has anyone applied a rubberized coating to the tops of their a/c shrouds? i'm replacing my 2 shrouds again after hail damage. small hail- nickel size. only got 5 years use out of them. i'm thinking that if there was a coat of material on the top they would withstand the abuse.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2022, 10:40 AM   #2

Maybe use truck bedliner.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 03:36 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Well if I'm not set up at a campsite & between trips I always put my Adco AC covers over the shrouds..the shrouds still have a lot of life left in them as original EQ since 2004 & have seen their fair share of hail & nasty weather..they're (2) Coleman Mach Polar 9000 series.
groveln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 07:12 PM   #4

i don't want to put on and off covers. i was looking for a paint or rubberized coating that would be permanent. thanks though
Old 09-26-2022, 09:16 PM   #5

They make spray on bed liner in spray cans.. as great suggestions above.. you will want to use good drop cloths.. they will be destroyed after this.. it all depends on how neat you are .. just for the top.. I understand you don't want to pull them off.. so cardboard and tape off the coils.. you don't want over spray to get on them..
Or you could use kiltsmat. A dynamat knock off.. it's an 80mm thick rubberized mat and comes in sheets.. just peel and stick.. clean with de nature alcohol 1st. Then roll it on.. that should work.. no one's going to see the top..
Either one should help..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 09-27-2022, 08:01 AM   #6

spray on liner. i like that. i'll check it out. i would definitely take them off the mh to apply this. as a former industrial painter, i know how far overspray can go. worked in an oil tank farm one time and i told the foreman that the wind was blowing towards a very busy road. he said the paint would not travel that far and told us to get going. well--several days later--there was a body shop downwind of us and a local cop had his car down there with overspray. he went door to door in the neighborhood having people check out their cars. over 400 people called our company for repairs. i don't know how many homes were painted up. what a disaster. needless to say, the foreman was fired. thanks for the ideas
i'll look into the mats also, but i don't know how pliable they would be
Old 09-27-2022, 08:49 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Flexseal?
Old 09-27-2022, 09:43 AM   #8

after the above suggestions, i went to amazon. looks like the bed liners are a rigid coating. don't think that's the way to go. but now i'm thinking about plasti-dip. i think i'll buy a small can and apply a test patch. i'll keep you all posted
Old 09-27-2022, 06:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanna2016 View Post
i don't want to put on and off covers. i was looking for a paint or rubberized coating that would be permanent. thanks though
Believe it or not, Flex-Seal rubberized paint works great. I bought a can just to test its resistance to UV rays. I pained a plastic milk jug and sat it out back of my garage in full sun; 5 years later the paint on the jug is intact and still bright white, no cracks or peeling.
Then I painted the metal panel my air horns are mounted on atop the MH. That too is bright white without cracks 3 years later.

I would not paint EPDM material with it though, due to the petroleum byproducts.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 07:49 PM   #10

You want a commercial truck bed liner like "Rhino Liner". You can't really buy the good stuff DIY but visit a local shop that installs it if you can. Rubber stuff. Laid on as thick as you want, tough as nails, and usually can be dyed most colors you might want. It might be worth it to you to pull the upper shrouds and just let them do it. I say visit a place so you can check it yourself. You're right, most of the DIY bedliners I've gotten hold of, like Duplicolor, are pretty nice and durable but are essentially just a kind of paint and offer no cushion at all. Like apples and oranges, no comparison.
GypsyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:37 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
protective coating for a/c shrouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanna2016 View Post
…..i'm replacing my 2 shrouds again after hail damage. small hail- nickel size. only got 5 years use ………
nickel sized hail is not small.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:49 PM   #12

I am going to add flex seal in white to mine this week.. if you really wanted to cover them.. look at 300mm thick sound deading mat at your favorite online store.. that should work.. get it aluminized and that would make it as strong as possible.. the aluminum is heavy duty .. but it will make it heavier..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 09-28-2022, 08:08 AM   #13

flex seal sounds good. i also like the option of getting the quantity i want. and nickel size hail is not small. i got pummeled saving my wife's travelling garden.
Old 10-05-2022, 09:34 AM   #14

applied 2 coats of flex seal. i like the flexibility of the finished product. now i have to chase down a hailstorm to give it a test run. ha--thanks for the ideas. if nothing else, it will cut down on the sunlight breaking down the plastic