Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2014, 03:24 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Question About Chassis Battery Charging on Shore Power

On my 2006 National SeaBreeze, when I plug into shore power, both my chassis and house batteries get fully charged. I've heard that on some coaches, only the deep cycle house battery gets charged when plugged into shore and the chassis battery gets left out of the loop. This is my first motorhome so I had no idea to keep an eye out for this. What am I looking for in subsequent coach specifications that tells me shore power will charge both batteries? I would have assumed this was universal but don't think that's the case.
TandCplusRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #2

It's not universal. You have to ask the owner/salesman or grab a multimeter and check yourself.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:31 PM   #3

Yes ... it's not universal. There are lot's of variables including what devices are installed, year of vehicle, and whether the installed charging devices are actually working correctly. Another crapshoot that can only be verified with a voltmeter (regardless of specifications).
Old 02-03-2014, 06:14 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Thanks folks! I'd hate to think the chassis batteries were being neglected while I'm plugged in at a campsite. My wife and I are weekend warriors and the coach sits in storage for 2-6 weeks in between outings so I'd hate to think of the poor neglected chassis battery not charging up on shore power.
TandCplusRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It may not be universal, but the last few years have seen most manufacturers get the message and start putting that capability into even their entry level coaches.

The last significant holdouts seemed to be Winnebago and Monaco.

Winnebago now installs a cheap little trickle charge unit in their gas coaches to accomplish chassis battery charging from shore power. I'm not familiar with how Monaco implemented theirs.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulong View Post
It may not be universal, but the last few years have seen most manufacturers get the message and start putting that capability into even their entry level coaches.

The last significant holdouts seemed to be Winnebago and Monaco.

Winnebago now installs a cheap little trickle charge unit in their gas coaches to accomplish chassis battery charging from shore power. I'm not familiar with how Monaco implemented theirs.
Agree, ours is also entry level and came with all the proven neat little things that makes everything easier. I'm glad ours has a nice smart charger that handles all three batteries and switches between source power. I just plug in to shore power and it takes of whatever the batteries need.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:45 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The charging of chassis batteries on shore power is NOT a deal breaker on any MH. For under $150 any charging system can be converted or a new charging system for $50 can be installed just for the Start batteries.

LEN
Old 02-04-2014, 08:39 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
The charging of chassis batteries on shore power is NOT a deal breaker on any MH. For under $150 any charging system can be converted or a new charging system for $50 can be installed just for the Start batteries.LEN
....And just what percentage of MH buyers do you think are knowledgeable enough to inquire or even know that a MH has batteries. Most won't even suspect a problem until they experience a costly dead battery situation.

Personally, it would be a deal breaker for me to know that in 2014, after most manufacturers have been installing the capability for more than two decades, that my manufacturer was cutting costs by eliminating such a low cost, yet valuable, feature. I would have to wonder, just where else are they building on the cheap. JMHO

I shouldn't have to put a $50 Band-aid on a $200K+ vehicle.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:08 AM   #9

Quote:
....And just what percentage of MH buyers do you think are knowledgeable enough to inquire or even know that a MH has batteries. Most won't even suspect a problem until they experience a costly dead battery situation.

Personally, it would be a deal breaker for me to know that in 2014, after most manufacturers have been installing the capability for more than two decades, that my manufacturer was cutting costs by eliminating such a low cost, yet valuable, feature. I would have to wonder, just where else are they building on the cheap. JMHO

+1
Even if you pay 80k.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:37 AM   #10

Quote:

Well .... I guess I'm from the "less is more" generation. I don't need, or want, any "features" that are decided upon by a manufacturer without an input from the purchasing end user. Yes, if you are buying a used item, you won't get a choice.

To me, many of these "features" are like the "Here's a pill for that discomfort, and here's another for the side effect of the first pill, and here's a few for ..."
Old 02-05-2014, 05:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Well .... I guess I'm from the "less is more" generation. I don't need, or want, any "features" that are decided upon by a manufacturer without an input from the purchasing end user. Yes, if you are buying a used item, you won't get a choice.

To me, many of these "features" are like the "Here's a pill for that discomfort, and here's another for the side effect of the first pill, and here's a few for ..."
Agree, but this one is a must have. You are going to have to charge your batteries sooner or later. I rather have the manufacturer neatly install a converter/charger than have to do it myself later or have to manually charge the batteries.

If less is more, then try driving without power steering.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
If less is more, then try driving without power steering.

Do it every day ... 1996 Geo Tracker.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:12 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
My last MH did not have a duel charger. I thought it did until my chassis batteries kept going dead.

An easy test, unplug the MH after you have the batteries fully charged. Check the chassis batteries with a volt meter and write down the voltage. Turn the head lights on for about 20 minutes, then off. Check the batteries with volt meter again. Plug the MH back in to shore power, wait a couple of minutes for the charger to kick in and check the batteries with a volt meter again. If the voltage increases you have a duel charger.

If you do not have a duel charger, this solved my problem. I left it connected 24/7. I did wire an electrical outlet to my battery compartment so the connection was easy. Automatic Battery Charger - 12V They are often on sale for $4.99. Don't let the price fool you, mine worked great for 6 years and was still working when I sold the MH. The batteries were always at 13.5 volts even after 6 months of storage.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Do it every day ... 1996 Geo Tracker.
I remember those. Didn't know they didn't have power steering.

Tags
battery, charging, chassis, power