Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2018, 08:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startech View Post
this morning the surge protector was resetting pretty often. So I unplugged from the pole and measured voltage directly from the pole. I video recorded the results as the voltage on one leg jumped from 1:28 to 1:35 pretty sporadically and I got it on video to show the electrician. Thank you all for your help it's definitely not my coach
I love it when a plan comes together!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2018, 05:05 PM   #16

Wonder why the Electrician didn't see that. Were you not present when he did the measurements? I am always nosey in that matter so I know what is going on.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:40 AM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
This electrician is a joke. He was still trying to blame my coach. He even tried to blame my cord. I lost it! I told him to fix it, or I would hire my own electrician and he could kiss this account goodbye plus neg. online reviews. So, now he is going to install a buck booster. This will be his last chance to avoid my fury.
Startech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:07 AM   #18

Quote:
This electrician is a joke. He was still trying to blame my coach. He even tried to blame my cord. I lost it! I told him to fix it, or I would hire my own electrician and he could kiss this account goodbye plus neg. online reviews. So, now he is going to install a buck booster. This will be his last chance to avoid my fury.
Keep your fury up. Installing a transformer is not going to work. He needs to go back to the main service panel and start tracing back to you and see where and what the problem is. Electric 101. He seems to be a novice apprentice.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:24 PM   #19

Quote:
this morning the surge protector was resetting pretty often. So I unplugged from the pole and measured voltage directly from the pole. I video recorded the results as the voltage on one leg jumped from 1:28 to 1:35 pretty sporadically and I got it on video to show the electrician. Thank you all for your help it's definitely not my coach
I assume that is 128 to 135 volts, which is a fairly big jump, and since the rv is not plugged in, and this was taken at the pole, its in the parks power. The buck boost only makes whats coming in, higher or lower depending on how its wired, any surges or sags will still continue to come through, just at a different level. Does any of your neighbors have their lights blink noticably? Especially brighter? Or very dim? Could be all the way back to the power company transformer. I've had numerous calls about loose neutrals on their end over the years. (I've had a masters license for 36 years, and licensed in four states)
hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:29 PM   #20

Also, is the 240 between the hots relatively steady? If not it could be severe voltage drop issues with the parks wiring. If it stays steady, but line to ground or neutral bounces around, its a neutral issue.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly3 View Post
Also, is the 240 between the hots relatively steady? If not it could be severe voltage drop issues with the parks wiring. If it stays steady, but line to ground or neutral bounces around, its a neutral issue.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:03 AM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
Thanks again for any input. Yes, that one leg was bouncing voltage while the other leg was more steady around 115. He spent a few hours going down the line tightening connections. I even pointed out they had a ground connected to the nuetral in my box, which they promptly remedied. This seemed to do the trick for about 2 hours.
Yes, the nieghbor told me her lights flickered sometimes and I told the electrician. He's gonna call the utility company for a 48 hour logger, although I believe it's not their fault. I am also starting to hear others have been having issues also. Inverters, fridges and a/C's going out.
But now I have his attention so I will let him continue to try to get it fixed before I call another company.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:07 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
STOP!! Don't let him connect a Buck Boost!! A Buck Boost transformer can only do one of two things. Either "boost" the voltage by adding a certain percentage, or "buck" the voltage by subtracting a certain percentage. It can only do one OR the other, NOT both. It can only be connected to "Buck" or connected to "Boost". It will not correct fluctuating voltages. If it's connected to "Boost" and the incoming voltage fluctuates to the high side, it will add to it, magnifying the problem with the possibility of causing severe damage to your equipment if your surge protector doesn't take it off line immediately. Likewise, if it's connected to "Buck" the voltage and the incoming voltage fluctuates to the low side, it will subtract from a voltage that is already low. Again the magnifies the problem. Low voltage will also damage equipment. Your "electrician" may claim to be an electrician, but it's obvious that he is not. Don't give him the chance to do this. I am a retired electrician with 47 plus years in the electrical trade prior to retirement.
I hope all works out well for you. It seems to me that you should relocate to a site or RV park that does not have electrical problems.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:32 AM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
Thanks for your post. After tightening some nuetral connections down the line, I have not had any more surges so far.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brews Cruise View Post
STOP!! Don't let him connect a Buck Boost!! A Buck Boost transformer can only do one of two things. Either "boost" the voltage by adding a certain percentage, or "buck" the voltage by subtracting a certain percentage. It can only do one OR the other, NOT both. It can only be connected to "Buck" or connected to "Boost". It will not correct fluctuating voltages. If it's connected to "Boost" and the incoming voltage fluctuates to the high side, it will add to it, magnifying the problem with the possibility of causing severe damage to your equipment if your surge protector doesn't take it off line immediately. Likewise, if it's connected to "Buck" the voltage and the incoming voltage fluctuates to the low side, it will subtract from a voltage that is already low. Again the magnifies the problem. Low voltage will also damage equipment. Your "electrician" may claim to be an electrician, but it's obvious that he is not. Don't give him the chance to do this. I am a retired electrician with 47 plus years in the electrical trade prior to retirement.
I hope all works out well for you. It seems to me that you should relocate to a site or RV park that does not have electrical problems.
Very true to most degrees, but factory made buck/boost transformer assemblies that have the cord and plug built in, built just for RV's have voltage sensing circuits built in that bypasses and enables the transformer to boost when the voltage drops below a certain level, but still wouldnt help in the op's situation.

Tags
electric