Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2010, 08:17 AM   #1

Question on the converter charging the batteries

Good morning ! My question is this. On our 2004 Winnebago Adventurer.

Are the house batteries still being charged when the coach is plugged in and the battery disconnect switch is to off ?

I think it is because the on the panel that shows the battery voltage it reads 14.1

Is there a way to disconnect the charge wire firm the converter to the batteries?

Reason for all this is I received a BatteryMINDer 12248 for Christmas and want to use that (not the converter) for maintaining my house batteries.

Should I just leave the coach unplugged from shore power and power the maintainer form a separate 120 ?
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'd use a separate power cord for the Minder and leave the converter alone. You want it to be the main charger when not in storage.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:16 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Converter battery chargers have come a long ways in just the last few years. Click here to see 4 stage converter chargers. Even the converter fan has an auto nite setting for low noise levels. I'm glad my old one broke.
Pat

Inteli-Power 9200, RV Converter/Chargers from Progressive Dynamics
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:27 PM   #4

Question? have any of you installed a switch (or disconnect) from the converter to the batteries?

The reason I ask is because I installed my BatteryMINDer this week and have been charging the engine battery (this battery has a disconnect on the negative side of the battery).
I also purchased a additional leads for the house batteries.
I want to keep the coach plugged in so I can have the 120 volt outlets hot at all times. The I can charge the batteries and run a electric heater if needed.

I guess I could also put disconnects on the house batteries also.

Comments ? Suggestions ?

Thanks !
Old 12-31-2010, 02:24 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Bug512,
Battery Minders are usually used when the coach can not be plugged into shore power or the owner does not want the coach connected to shore power or the charger is not intelligent enough to run the batteries through different voltages as needed.

Because you want your coach connected to shore power, connect the Minder to the chassis batteries using a separate cord or a 120 VAC outlet from the coach. Leave the coach batteries alone. This will ensure your post 4 requirements are fulfilled.

Leave the disconnect switches in the position they would be in when the coach is in use.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:57 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
assuming your battery system is wired like mine, when the house battery switch is off, it is just like disconnecting the positive lead from the battery. nothing gets in or out.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:07 AM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a 2008 Winnebago. I'm sure it is different than a 2004 so my first thought is to call Winnebago with your VIN and Serial Number handy. Ask them the specific question.

With that said, my MH came with the Trik-L-Charger. I'm not to sure that it does as great a job as the Batter Minder (I have one of those also). In order for my converter to charge both of my sets of batteries, the disconnect for each has to be turned "on." Also, the step has to be turned off. In my case, since I don't like leaving the step out, (and with a side entry) I close the screen door and the step retracts, then I reach in with a long object and turn the step off. According to the Winnebago technician that I spoke with the step being turned on will have a constant draw of amperage. (You'll have to ask them why.)

Good luck.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #8

Thanks again. For now I disconnected the negative cable from the batteries.
I will need to do some more investigative work and will then post my results.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:41 PM   #9

Well here is what I found.

With the coach plugged in to shore power and the battery disconnect to off the batteries are isolated like the above posters stated.

I mounted the BatteryMINDer in the compartment next to the entrance. The rechargeable vacuum and flashlight did not work any more so out they went.
Now I can alternately charge the house batteries and the chassis battery conveniently.

Thanks again for the information. Much easier then planned.