Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2019, 07:00 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Questions about MC-RC controller settings

Ok, so now that I have my new AGM batteries, I'm about ready to reconfigure (at least on paper) my MC-RC controller but have some questions. My batteries are (4) Crown 6v AGM 220ah @ 20hrs

1) The absorption time seems to have a fairly wide range (2-4) hours for AGM batteries depending of DOD, charge rate, etc. I understand that too little time and the batteries will not reach a complete recharge. Correct? If I set the time too long, will the BTS adjust the voltage and/or amps so as not to overcharge? For my AGMs, they say the time should be 2.5 - 3 hours.

2) For my AGMs, the recommended charge rate is 10% of the C/20 with a max of 25%. The recommended rate would be 44 amps and the max would be 110 amps. My ME2012 has a 100 amp charger. So I should be able to set the Charge rate to 100% which is still less than the 110 max. Correct?
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2019, 06:18 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I would first check your math. Then write the math out here.
so we can check it.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:47 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
I would first check your math. Then write the math out here.
so we can check it.
Thanks Dan.

So, for (4) 6 volt batteries that have a 220ah @ 20hrs running parallel and in series, I have a 440ah bank.

For question 1 there really isn't any math involved (I don't think)....Crown just says the absorption time should be between 2.5-3 hours and I was wondering if the BTS will safeguard against overcharging if the absorption time is too long. I know I can check the batteries and adjust the absorption time but every recharge cycle could be different based on the DOD at that time. Maybe I'm overthinking this.

For question 2...

The recommended current is 10% of the C/20 (440). 10% * 440 = 44amps.

The maximum current is 25% of the C/20 (440). 25% * 440 = 110 amps.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:43 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
Ok, so now that I have my new AGM batteries, I'm about ready to reconfigure (at least on paper) my MC-RC controller but have some questions. My batteries are (4) Crown 6v AGM 220ah @ 20hrs

1) The absorption time seems to have a fairly wide range (2-4) hours for AGM batteries depending of DOD, charge rate, etc. I understand that too little time and the batteries will not reach a complete recharge. Correct? If I set the time too long, will the BTS adjust the voltage and/or amps so as not to overcharge? For my AGMs, they say the time should be 2.5 - 3 hours.

2) For my AGMs, the recommended charge rate is 10% of the C/20 with a max of 25%. The recommended rate would be 44 amps and the max would be 110 amps. My ME2012 has a 100 amp charger. So I should be able to set the Charge rate to 100% which is still less than the 110 max. Correct?
As you mentioned depending on how far your battery bank has been discharged the Absorb time can be a variable. The Absorb time is also affected by the charge rate. The higher the charge rate the lower the Absorb time could be.

With your setup I would set the Absorb time to 2 hours (to start with) and a charge rate of 90%. With the above Absorb time monitor the amps going into the batteries just before the end of the 2 hour period. Try to have other DC loads shut off when checking the amp load to get a more accurate indication of what is going to the batteries. If the charge amps has dropped to about 1% of your capacity which would be 4.4 amps then your batteries are 100% charged. If the charge amps are consistently higher than the 4.4 amps near the end of the 2 hour Absorb period then increase your Absorb time by 30 minutes. If the charge amps are consistently less then reduce your Absorb time slightly.

The Magnum inverter if worked hard will create lots of heat at the transformer and the FET boards. Can be seen under the TECH button and then select temperatures. Charging at 90% helps a little with the heat generated and still gives you a decent rate of charge which is within the recommended settings from Crown batteries.

Your battery temp sensor (BTS) adjusts the charge voltage based on temperature. If the temperature at the batteries is above 77F (25C) the charge voltage will be less than what is set in the charge profile. If the temperature is colder then the charge voltage will be higher. Unless grossly mis-set having a slightly longer Absorb time will not adversely affect your batteries or overcharge them. As the batteries reach full charge internal resistance goes up and charge current goes down so an extra few minutes at the Absorb voltage is fine. More batteries fail prematurely from under charging than from a slight over charge.

One other note, if your Magnum remote is capable of setting Final Charge (SET 9) then set this to Float to keep your AGM battery bank fully charged when sitting on shore power. The only exception to this would be if you had an extensive solar array (something greater than 200W) then set Final Charge to Multi.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:27 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
As you mentioned depending on how far your battery bank has been discharged the Absorb time can be a variable. The Absorb time is also affected by the charge rate. The higher the charge rate the lower the Absorb time could be.

With your setup I would set the Absorb time to 2 hours (to start with) and a charge rate of 90%. With the above Absorb time monitor the amps going into the batteries just before the end of the 2 hour period. Try to have other DC loads shut off when checking the amp load to get a more accurate indication of what is going to the batteries. If the charge amps has dropped to about 1% of your capacity which would be 4.4 amps then your batteries are 100% charged. If the charge amps are consistently higher than the 4.4 amps near the end of the 2 hour Absorb period then increase your Absorb time by 30 minutes. If the charge amps are consistently less then reduce your Absorb time slightly.

The Magnum inverter if worked hard will create lots of heat at the transformer and the FET boards. Can be seen under the TECH button and then select temperatures. Charging at 90% helps a little with the heat generated and still gives you a decent rate of charge which is within the recommended settings from Crown batteries.

Your battery temp sensor (BTS) adjusts the charge voltage based on temperature. If the temperature at the batteries is above 77F (25C) the charge voltage will be less than what is set in the charge profile. If the temperature is colder then the charge voltage will be higher. Unless grossly mis-set having a slightly longer Absorb time will not adversely affect your batteries or overcharge them. As the batteries reach full charge internal resistance goes up and charge current goes down so an extra few minutes at the Absorb voltage is fine. More batteries fail prematurely from under charging than from a slight over charge.

One other note, if your Magnum remote is capable of setting Final Charge (SET 9) then set this to Float to keep your AGM battery bank fully charged when sitting on shore power. The only exception to this would be if you had an extensive solar array (something greater than 200W) then set Final Charge to Multi.
Thanks Don. I was hoping you would respond!