Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2023, 05:18 AM   #1

Quick De-Winterizing & Sanitizing?

I will be taking my first trip in less than a week. My initial plan was to do all of this a few days before I left. But the weather has changed and they are predicting the low temperature to get down to 22 degrees the morning I leave.

Are there any quick ways of doing this? The trailer was winterized with RV antifreeze and the water tank is empty with the anode rod out. I plan on leaving about 10 AM, so I have a few hours of above freezing temperatures. It will take about 3 hours to get to my stop.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2023, 05:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I will be taking my first trip in less than a week. My initial plan was to do all of this a few days before I left. But the weather has changed and they are predicting the low temperature to get down to 22 degrees the morning I leave.

Are there any quick ways of doing this? The trailer was winterized with RV antifreeze and the water tank is empty with the anode rod out. I plan on leaving about 10 AM, so I have a few hours of above freezing temperatures. It will take about 3 hours to get to my stop.
Not sure where you’re headed, but when I travel from the cold to places above freezing I keep my RV winterized and de-winterize when I arrive at my warmer location. I make sure that stop has full hookups so that I can leisurely flush my system.
Souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 07:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljourner View Post
Not sure where you’re headed, but when I travel from the cold to places above freezing I keep my RV winterized and de-winterize when I arrive at my warmer location. I make sure that stop has full hookups so that I can leisurely flush my system.
If it's only a 3 hour trip, this is what I would do as well.
sploke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 07:42 AM   #4

The temperatures at my location and the campground will both be warmer during the short four night trip.

If I do this can I go ahead and reinstall the anode rod? I not turn on the w/h, keep the bypass closed and not put in any water to the tank? This will be one step I don't have to do at the campground. Being this will be my first trip how long would I need to keep the bleach in the lines?
Old 03-13-2023, 08:58 AM   #5

From everything I've read and my own experience, there is no reason to leave the anode out over the winter. On the other hand, the opening is an invitation for various critters to take up residence inside the water heater.
I drain the tank, re-tape the rod (replace if worn out), and reinstall ready for the new year.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam View Post
From everything I've read and my own experience, there is no reason to leave the anode out over the winter. On the other hand, the opening is an invitation for various critters to take up residence inside the water heater.
I drain the tank, re-tape the rod (replace if worn out), and reinstall ready for the new year.
This was my thinking - I will reinstall it today.

While checking the water heater and water pump I was surprised that the water heater was not on bypass and the water pump was still set for sucking up the antifreeze. Am I correct that these valves will need to be turned the other direction-at least until I want to fill up the water heater?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Pump.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	388074   Click image for larger version

Name:	WH.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	388075  

Tags