Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2022, 01:41 PM   #1

quick release for propane

I currently have a quick release installed on my motorhome to hook up to my big tank from gas company. I want to get a hose to hook up to 20# tank when traveling. I have been looking them but also saw an adapter to switch to quick release but it only shows it for hooking up to something like a BBQ. Anyone know if they have it for the end that would hook up to my MH?
Picture of the hose I currently have for 20# tank that I want to change to quick release on the end that goes into MH:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220702_123336914.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	437.8 KB
ID:	369923  

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2022, 01:51 PM   #2

rvgrandma-

That label on the hose... Can you read a manufacturer name and part number off of it? If so, could you post that here?

I'm fairly sure I know what the ends are on that hose, but the info listed above would really nail that down.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 01:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
rvgrandma-

That label on the hose... Can you read a manufacturer name and part number off of it? If so, could you post that here?

I'm fairly sure I know what the ends are on that hose, but the info listed above would really nail that down.
Closest I can make out is Mr Heater. That ones is 2 ft. I have a 3ft one that I really want to use but is almost the same.

Old 07-02-2022, 02:04 PM   #4

rvgrandma-

OK, a request for two additional pictures: one each of the connectors into which the hose ends fit.

The larger end appears to be a POL fitting, but the smaller, it could be one of two or three.
Old 07-02-2022, 02:48 PM   #5

Both larger ends screw into the 20# propane tank. The smaller end screwed into the original on the stay a while before having the quick release put in.

I have noticed all the propane hoses now screw onto the tank vs into the tank like the two I have.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20220702_134155980.jpg
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	369929   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220702_134215318.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	369930  

Old 07-02-2022, 06:22 PM   #6

Some clarifications:

Big Propane Tank and quick connector.....
Where on RV is the Quick Connector located......Before RV Main LP Reg or AFTER the Reg??

IS the Quick Connector on RV a Female connection ....so need a male connection on the hose?

IF Before...... Need High Pressure Rated Propane hose
If After ....... Can use Low Pressure hose PLUS regulator

If that 20# cylinder has 'round' hand wheel vs a 'triangle' hand wheel it is OLD and No Longer Used.....must be replaced with OPD (triangle valve)
OPDs have exterior threads for ACME Nuts and internal threads for POL fittings (like you have)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 06:35 PM   #7

rvgrandma-

OK, on the bottom picture you have a hose with a POL fitting at one end and a 1/4-inch inverted flare at the other. The POL goes into a cylinder (inlet end) and the inverted flare goes into a gas regulator or Extend-a-Stay/Sturgi-Stay tee (outlet end). For an MB Sturgis hose that has the same fittings, see this link:

POL Pigtail X 1/4" Inv. Flare

It is a high-pressure hose (rated 350 psi), which is correct for upstream of the regulator. Neither of the fittings on the hose are considered "quick-release," so I don't know what you mean by that term.

In any case, the POL fitting on either of the pictured hoses will fit on a 20-pound grill cylinder.
Old 07-02-2022, 07:23 PM   #8

Quick Connect Kit

https://www.amazon.com/Propane-Fitti...99P9VJGD&psc=1
Old 07-02-2022, 08:15 PM   #9

This is the end of the hose from the gas companies big tank. It plugs into the stay a while. I don't have to screw it in or out - it pops in and out. I need to change the end of the hoses, if possible, so it has an end like the picture.

The adapter looks like it might just screw onto the end of the hose I have. I mostly want to know if anyone has done it.

I can't be more clear unless I make a video which I won't because right now the hose is wrapped around the big tank.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20220601_123455213.jpg
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	369955  

Old 07-02-2022, 08:23 PM   #10

OK so the hose is connecting to the High Pressure side (before Reg)

Then the screw on quick connector in the Kit should work
OR just do a search for 1/4" Quick Connect Plug x 3/8" Female Flare
Old 07-03-2022, 04:58 AM   #11

rvgrandma-

I recommend this hose, instead of modifying what you have.

Or, this adapter, if one of your hoses has a 1/4" female pipe thread end.

The reason I suggest the hose is it eliminates the connection between hose end and the adapter, which is a potential leak source. Plus, you can get a longer hose. I started with a 6-footer, but found a 12-footer gave me better choices for locating a 20-pound cylinder.

Both the hose and the adapter listed above are rated for 350 psi (high pressure), which is correct for attaching to the 20-pound grill cylinder and the big stationary cylinder at your coach now. Note: Many of the quick-connects sold and used for RVs are rated for the low-pressure side, and are not suitable for what you want to do, even if they fit into the quick-connect you have.

If a propane company provided the hose between the big stationary cylinder and the stay-a-while, you might want to to call them back and ask what they might sell or make for you to feed the stay-a-while with a 20-pound grill cylinder. It might cost less than what you can buy, and you would know it was correctly sized and rated for the service.
Old 07-03-2022, 04:11 PM   #12

When I had them put it on they had to special order it so doubt they would be able to make one for me. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
rvgrandma-

I recommend this hose, instead of modifying what you have.

Or, this adapter, if one of your hoses has a 1/4" female pipe thread end.

The reason I suggest the hose is it eliminates the connection between hose end and the adapter, which is a potential leak source. Plus, you can get a longer hose. I started with a 6-footer, but found a 12-footer gave me better choices for locating a 20-pound cylinder.

Both the hose and the adapter listed above are rated for 350 psi (high pressure), which is correct for attaching to the 20-pound grill cylinder and the big stationary cylinder at your coach now. Note: Many of the quick-connects sold and used for RVs are rated for the low-pressure side, and are not suitable for what you want to do, even if they fit into the quick-connect you have.

If a propane company provided the hose between the big stationary cylinder and the stay-a-while, you might want to to call them back and ask what they might sell or make for you to feed the stay-a-while with a 20-pound grill cylinder. It might cost less than what you can buy, and you would know it was correctly sized and rated for the service.

Tags
propane