Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2015, 12:03 PM   #1

Arrow R Pod / Dometic - Bypass AC and run thermostat directly to furnace?

Hello, this is my first post on the forums. I am the owner of a new-to-me 2011 R-Pod 171 travel trailer. I'll be traveling and living in the camper full time this summer as I compete in stand up paddle board races and competitions around the rocky mtn. region.

Here's my situation; I need to remove the air conditioning unit from the camper, so I can install a Thule rack system to carry my boards.

The AC is a Dometic 6204 Series with a thermostat that controls both the AC and a furnace, which is a separate unit. They seem to be interconnected, and I need to bypass/ re-wire in order to remove the AC, but keep the thermostat and furnace in operating order.

Here are some photos of what I am looking at:

Wiring Diagram:

Thermostat Exterior:

Thermostat Interior:

Wiring @ AC:

Any solutions / questions / recommendations would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance.
Bradley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2015, 12:39 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
What furnace and AC units does this control?
Can you pull the covers off of them and see where these wires are connected on their control boards.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:16 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply!!

The AC is a Dometic 6204 Series. I can get to the control board for this, and it looks identical to the wiring diagram posted above.

The furnace is a Suburban Mfg. NT20SE. I do not have an access to it's control board, however here is a link to the user manual:
http://www.scamptrailers.com/images/...SE_NT-20SE.pdf

Any ideas?
Old 04-02-2015, 01:42 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Looks simple.

Look on page 16 of the installation manual shows hookup.

http://americanrvcompany.com/assets/...an/nt-30sp.pdf

You'll need to look at your existing wires to see if they are hooked up according to the diagram of the furnace.

A simple, inexpensive thermostat hooked up to the terminal block on the diagram should work.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:14 PM   #5

Is there any way you could mount a board on each side of the A/C unit?
Old 04-02-2015, 02:21 PM   #6

CampingCajun - There is about 26" from the AC to the edge of the camper, and the boards I will be carrying will be about 30" - 33" wide. I think that would just be too much overhang on either side.

Waiter21 - thanks for the help. I am currently trying to match the furnace diagram to the wiring on my furnace to see if they look alike. Are you suggesting using the existing wires that come out near the AC to install a new thermostat??
Old 04-02-2015, 04:03 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Your esisting thermodstat may work in furnace only. but not sure how it gets its power for its internal circuits.

The part of it that controls the furnace is probably a small relay contact, as thats all the furnace needs is a set of closed contacts to turn the furnnace on.

Tags
ace, dometic, furnace, thermostat