Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2005, 01:22 PM   #1

Is there a converter to make a normal (dorm fridge) using a converter from 120 to 12V
Removing 3rd seat in Roadtrek and want a sizable fridge - hopefully with small freezer across the top to that spot. Much easier to carry the cold drinks - did I say beer !!!!
by the door instead of having to go into the trailer each time
Thanks for any help
If not, does anyone have the Igloo 56 qt Thermoelectric? and if so, how do you like it?
Where to purchase in Ontario as only find them in Walmart U.S. - which I know if cheaper anyways
Thanks again
SEWRIGHT@MNSI.NET
SEWRIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2005, 01:22 PM   #2

Is there a converter to make a normal (dorm fridge) using a converter from 120 to 12V
Removing 3rd seat in Roadtrek and want a sizable fridge - hopefully with small freezer across the top to that spot. Much easier to carry the cold drinks - did I say beer !!!!
by the door instead of having to go into the trailer each time
Thanks for any help
If not, does anyone have the Igloo 56 qt Thermoelectric? and if so, how do you like it?
Where to purchase in Ontario as only find them in Walmart U.S. - which I know if cheaper anyways
Thanks again
SEWRIGHT@MNSI.NET
Old 08-23-2005, 11:42 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
SEWRIGHT, First let me say welcome to iRV2. We are glad to you join us here. We look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. As you probably know here are "many ways to skin a cat" (do disrespectto cat lovers). The question is how much do you want to spend and is it feasible. You will need a 600 watt inverter and have to be driving to leave the ref. on for any time at all. I hope you are kidding about the beer while driving .
I can't answer your question about the Igloo.
Take care and be safe.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 05:05 AM   #4

Removing the 3rd seat to put the fridge in as there are only 2 of us and don't need the extra bed. Not drinking and driving just kidding.
Find the Domestic very small and will not accommodate very many water, pop, etc. bottles as well as all the other stuff so thought by the door would make it very easy to reach in to get something out and not have to keep tracking in and out of the van.
Thanks for your reply
Old 08-24-2005, 08:05 AM   #5

I have an Igloo thermo cooler (2nd one). We love it and use it often (right now it's been plugged in for the past week holding bottles of soda & water that David sells down at the flea market). I use in during summer to keep frozen food cold for grocery shopping. We use it with the pop-up as a reffer and use the reffer in the pop-up as a freezer (turned to max) for extended stays. We use it as a regular cooler in the Jeep because it takes no ice and sometimes we day-trip & picnic with no advance warning. When I know I will be using the cooler, I pack in some of the frozen "Blue Ice" type packs. This keeps everything cold while Jeep is turned off. The only time the cooler runs is while Jeep engine is running. According to info that came with cooler. It will run down a battery in a very short time. My Jeep has too much electronics to allow for any extra battery drain (won't start). 2 or 3 ice packs will hold the cooler for 2+ hours. Longer than that and I have plugged into electric. I think that an inverter with an extra battery (so you don't end up with a dead vehicle) might be the best route if you are carrying stuff that will spoil easily (meats, eggs milk, etc). If just for sodas the ice pack method should be fine. Just don't cover the fan vent and make sure you plug in to cool not warm.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:03 AM   #6

Thanks Lorna
Trying to find one in a Walmart store as they will not deliver to Canada. The information is
really appreciated
Take care and thanks again
ANN
SEWRIGHT@MNSI.NET
Old 08-24-2005, 09:18 AM   #7

I have a Coleman 12 volt cooler. I have packed extra insulation around it and am going to replace the Peltier heat pump it came with with a "Jumbo" and an extra large heatsink, with a switching power supply.

With this arrangement and a electrical "dump" to shunt any electricity above 14.0 volts to the FREEZER from the panels and wind generator I am hopeing for a viable second freezer.

David/zetron
zetron is offline   Reply With Quote