Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2023, 05:12 AM   #1

Refrigerator freezing milk

The Norcold(N series) in my 5'er is freezing the milk and other items on the top shelf . I read on line the thermistor might be the problem or the control panel. The fins are ice covered, My question is will the frig work if I unhook the thermistor? I read on line if you unhook it and set the control panel on a middle sitting it will continue to work.. It just started doing this two days ago..

'

2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4,2008 Crossroads Cruiser M29CK, 2008 HD Ultra Classic Trike
pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2023, 07:06 AM   #2

I’m pretty certain there is a Service Manual for your refrigerator in the Files section of this board. It can be your friend.

Generally the controls have a default operation mode if there is an issue with the thermistor.
Thermistor easily tested following instructions in the Service Manual.

When fridge too cold, slide thermistor up - too warm, slide thermistor down (adsorption fridges work differently than one would expect - the the label used to indicate thermistor placement can be misleading).
To confirm thermistor before testing, make certain it is placed at the top of the fin on the far right.

Also, make sure the fridge isn’t packed so as to impede natural air flow.
Old 01-09-2023, 10:07 AM   #3

BOS...Backup operating system
Allows for continued operation if communications is lost...either from pper display and/or thermistor

*Moving thermistor location on Fins is for fridges that have 'Auto Temp Control' ----NO temp setting adjustments
Those WITH temp settings, thermostat is factory calibrated based on OEM FIN Location

With thermistor unplugged the fridge uses Time Based vs Temp Based control
Adjusting the temp settings UP will cause longer duration and DOWN shorter duration of time the heat source is on.

Replacing thermistor in Norcold N series is easy. Leads just plug into lamp assembly connection

Thermistor OEM FIN Location ----- 10th FIN from the right

Here is Service Manual for N6/N8 Series
Pg 20......BOS description
http://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.co...er-619394E.pdf

Even a good tested thermistor can be BAD
Cheap to replace
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 10:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
Also, make sure the fridge isn’t packed so as to impede natural air flow.
+1...even in a non-RV refrigerator this is important...air flow is key.

In the RV fridge in our prior motorhome I installed a small 12V fan in the top part of the refrigerator section powered by a nearby 12V source...fan was aimed downward along the back side if I recall correctly. This helped immensely...the cold was more uniform throughout the fridge, no more cold/warm spots, and even things in the freezer section got colder. We eventually replaced with a residential fridge as the freezer never got really rock-hard cold (back in our ice cream days).

The residential Whirlpool in our current motorhome can get this same problem when the wife super-packs the fridge (causing localized freezing). I secretly go in and move things around (taking care not to "correct" the wife) to make sure there is sufficient air flow, which eliminates localized freezing.

Air flow...the cure to many things in refrigerators.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 11:58 AM   #5

Thanks for the advice and comments. I watched a couple of videos on testing the thermistor and feel I can do that with no problem. For some unknown reason the darn think defrosted the fins and seems to be working. I will keep an eye on it and it needed will just go buy one.

2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4,2008 Crossroads Cruiser M29CK, 2008 HD Ultra Classic Trike
Old 01-09-2023, 12:20 PM   #6

Thermistor connection.......got to have good clean connection for thermostat to read the resistance of thermistor
Old 01-11-2023, 12:10 PM   #7

I took the thermistor off the fin t this morning and cleaned the fin with an emery board and cleaned the inside of the thermistor real good. I guess I misplaced my multimeter, so will get another from Harbor Freight. But so far the fridge is not freezing the fins and it's getting cold. Guessing it will take a day or so before I know if the cleaning worked. Went to CW yesterday and was told they do not stock the thermistor and would have to order it 2 weeks (cost 45,.00). Went on Amazon this morning can get one for 13 and another for 23.. Either can be delivered in a couple of days... Again thanks for the help..

Old 01-16-2023, 05:43 AM   #8

After cleaning the thermistor and fins, it seemed to be working. So set the control panel to #2(where we normally have it) and in a couple of days it started freezing milk again. So ordered new thermistor and some other stuff from Amazon, suppose to be delivered tomorrow. Will defrost the fins and clean the #10 ten and position the new one close to where the old one was and see what happens. Hoping i don't have to buy a control panel...

Old 01-19-2023, 04:00 PM   #9

Thanks for all the advise and help. I installed the new thermistor and after 48 hrs, the fridge is working great...

Old 01-19-2023, 06:27 PM   #10

Thanks for update........

Tags
free, refrigerator