Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2011, 03:31 PM   #1

Refrigerator Help Norcold 1200lrim

Ok. Here is the situation. My frig went on the blink. I go the no co code on it after I leveled it away from my slide out in the driveway to keep rain from coming in.

I followed the directions to reset and it worked. The next problem came when I opened the door and the whole thing shut down. I tried to turn it back on and I get a clicking sound from the control board. There is no display on the frig. The fuses all seem to be intact. Do I need a new control board?

Help!!!!

Supergroomer
supergroomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dometic, Norcold?

Are you aware of the recalls? Have you had them done?
Old 05-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #3

Norcold 1200lrim

I am not sure if the recalls were done or not. We just got this coach about 3 weeks ago. The frig was working fine when I got it, it just went out when It was off level (I didn't realize that I hadn't shut the frig off). I just don't know where to go next. We are suppose to go out next weekend. If I need a new board, I will order it and try to install it before the weekend.

Thanks,

Supergroomer
(Dave Huber)
Old 05-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dave,

You indicated that your display panel wasn't working, I had a problem similiar to yours. Fridge wasn't cooling and display was acting strange and after reading the manual and doing some other research I found my batteries discharged. The fuse on my converter blew, unknown to me, and my shore cord was plugged in at a campground so I thought I was doing great but the batteries eventually discharged. Control panel is operated by DC voltage and needs 12 volts.
Check battery voltage.
Ron
Old 05-22-2011, 04:09 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Open the outside access panel and see if there is a black box with a red light. Thats the recall box. If the red light is on, the box has failed and will need to be replaced.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Open the outside access panel and see if there is a black box with a red light. Thats the recall box. If the red light is on, the box has failed and will need to be replaced.
There is no black box (except the plastic cover over the control board).

Dave
Old 05-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron2 View Post
Dave,

You indicated that your display panel wasn't working, I had a problem similiar to yours. Fridge wasn't cooling and display was acting strange and after reading the manual and doing some other research I found my batteries discharged. The fuse on my converter blew, unknown to me, and my shore cord was plugged in at a campground so I thought I was doing great but the batteries eventually discharged. Control panel is operated by DC voltage and needs 12 volts.
Check battery voltage.
Ron
The display was working. It was flashing "no co" so I followed the instructions for reset. After reset it was working fine till I opened the door and it shut down. If the fuse blew on my converter, would that make an immediate shut down on the control panel?

Dave
Old 05-22-2011, 05:37 PM   #8
rex

Monaco Owners Club
OK, you need to take it to a dealer and and have them order and install the latest recall.

You said it stopped when you opened the door. So go outside and remove the control board cover. There you will find some glass fuses, two if I remember correctly. One of those is a 5-amp fuse. See if it is blown. If so, replace it, the go inside and see if the fridge is running - DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR. If it is running, then open one of the two lower doors. If it immediately stops, the problem is the flapper between the doors. It has wiring and a heater inside, and the wiring is broken and shorting as the flapper turns. On the left door as you face it down low on the door frame you will see two contacts. You can temporarily tape over these to eliminate the flapper - but do not do this long term.

If you do not have the recall done, the fridge can catch on fire - so get it done now.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What rex said but with one little caveat...if you bought it from a dealer I would kick his tail for not doing the recall. Shame, shame, shame as Gomer would say.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:22 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
A tip on those door contacts that Rex mentioned. Norcold owners that have the contacts in their doors need to inspect them occasionally for any corrosion as it can cause a higher resistance in the door circut resulting in cooling problems or complete failure . This was passed on to me by a cooling unit remanufacture in Tuscon.
Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:43 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

The control baord and the display needs a constant 12v to work. My guess is that when you opened the door, the light came on and blue the fuse for that 12v supply. You probably have a fuse on the circuit board and maybe anotherinline on tat 12v supply. Also check your house 12v distribution to see if afuse blew there.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:24 AM   #12

Dave,
You may want to go to Bryant RV and download the Norcold 1200 Service Manual.
Service Documents
It will help you diag the failure and give you a good reference for any future issues.
If it is the Power PCB, you can purchase a Norcold for around $200 1 year warranty: or a Dinosaur PCB for around the same $$'s with a 3 year warranty. American RV sells both.
Hope this helps,
Mike
Old 07-29-2011, 07:20 AM   #13

Here's the latest

Ok. I had the recall done about 2 months ago. Everything has been working fine. Went out last weekend (everything good) and when I came back, I parked the MH in the driveway but did not get it perfectly level. I got the no co code on the frig. I leveled it out and reset it. It runs for a little while and then I get the no co again. We are scheduled to go on our vacation next Friday so I don't think I will have time to get it to a dealer to be looked at.

Any suggestions?

What should I look at first?

Thanks

Dave
Old 07-29-2011, 08:18 AM   #14

One more thing

It is happening in both LP and AC mode. Would the diagnostic mode on the frig give me any answers?

Dave